July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,837
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ...and for good measure (and seeing as I'm on a roll, baking-wise) here is the recipe for Chicken and Cheese Puff Pastry Ring just for you PG!

Chicken and Cheese Puff Pastry Ring

2 sheets of puff pastry (I use JusRol)
    6 tbsp mayonnaise
    1 tbsp dijon mustard
    300g cooked chicken (or turkey or ham)
    2 tbsp parsley
    85g strong cheese
    Egg to glaze

Preheat oven to 190/Fan 170/Gas 5

Unroll pastry sheet, and with long side towards you cut each sheet downwards into 3 rectangles. Cut each rectangle diagonally into two right-angled triangles - you should now have 12 r/angled triangles.
    Arrange these on a baking sheet (I use my pizza stone) points outermost like a sun burst.
    Chop up cooked chicken, and grate the cheese. Mix together with mayo, mustard and parsley.
    Arrange the filling on the pastry.
    Fold the triangles over into the middle of the tray, covering the filling.
    Brush with beaten egg and bake in pre-heated oven for 25-30 mins.

Serves 6 generously.

Original recipe was from Pampered Chef and they used turkey, mayo, mustard, gruyere cheese and cranberries. Possibilities are endless really. I'm sure there is also a sweet version using apples, nuts and maple syrup nommmmmmm.
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill 1/24
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Thanks Coxy! As I was reading it, I thought it sounded familiar - think I went to a party that featured that recipe!!

I look forward to trying it.
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • happy_chick_3
    happy_chick_3 Posts: 246 Forumite
    Just checking in to report a day of silly spending. £14 in sainsburys on very little - popped in for caster sugar to donate to a cake drive and spent on silly things. Plus £7.73 in the co-op - impulse buy after work when hungry. Arrrrggghh!!!!
    GC: Jan £118.67/£175

Owed to Mum -
    £1,487/£6,400
    Overdraft -
    [STRIKE]£1,391[/STRIKE]
    Total -
    £2,878/£7,791

• Indisciplined - that's about the size of it. Absolutely shattered after supervising a VAT inspection at work - left it late to have lunch so succumbed to shepherd's pie etc at the nearby cafe for £3.80.:mad:

Added to the signature. Otherwise would have been an NSD. Going to the kitchen to make some hummus for tommorow at work and a not-really-consoling potato and leek soup.

Hope everyone else is doing their best to withstand temptation.

Best of luck all,

179/200
    Yes, I know. I make leftover pies from even curry!!!!!!

Better than spending though, eh!

I do hope the weather picks up. This rain is getting a bit much now. Feel for those who have had the floods :(
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Dipndo
    Dipndo Posts: 58 Forumite
    NSD today,loving the idea of home made jam in pretty jars,well done to all those making it.

Turkey and roast potatoes for tea tonight,lo turkey sandwiches for lunch tomorrow..... It could be christmas lol
    Sept GC £200
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Popped into MrT on the way home and spent £19.70. £9 of that was on soya milk to hopefully last OH the month and £5 was on yoghurt for me. Not really sure where the rest went! Oh, I got some cows milk for me so that accounts for a couple of quid but really, what else did I get?? I'll have to check the cupboards to see!
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Did the weekly shop today. I'll update sig when I add everything up. Probably have overspent as I needed a few things that we had run out of.
    If you're at all 'crafty' you could crochet circles in pretty wool for the top of the jars of jam/chutney for gifts. Charity shops often have balls of wool looking for a new home :)

Ikkle87 - earlier on the thread, someone asked about boxes for the freezer. These were the MS ideas I can remember -
    Use washed out marg tubs/ ice cream tubs
    Put a plastic freezer bag in a square tub, fill with whatever you're freezing, then tie the bag and remove from the box when frozen.
    Similar idea using cut off bottom of a plastic milk bottle. HTH :)
    2024 Fashion on the ration 0/66 used
  • Hi!
    I hope everyone has had a good day. On the subject of material for jam jar covers.... When I do fill a jars for church I use tissue paper and pinking sheers. Cheap as chips and it looks nice. Tesco do packs of multi coloured tissue paper reasonably (they also did packs of silver which would be fab for Xmas). You could buy some Xmas ribbon cheaply but I normally use string or pearlescent present tape (about 50p a pack from clintons or card fair). Hth.

Well I am very happy with the frugal suppers so far this week. Yesterday we had omelette and salad using up odd bits of cheese and sausage languishing in the fridge and tonight we had smoked salmon pasta. Dh got a packet of ys trimmings for 20p which I added to cooked pasta and made a sauce from skimmed milk and basics cream cheese, salt, pepper and lemon juice. It was lovely. Best bit is we have half a pack of the cream cheese left and another pack of ys 20p trimmings (stashed in freezer) for another time :) = happy scrumpers
    GC Mar 11 £437.08Apr 11 £459.26 May 11 £485.52 June 11 £423.79July 11 £409.22 Aug 11 £250.10Sept 11 £396.14Oct 11 £382.37Nov 11 £372.55Dec 11 £332.29 Jan 12 £375.19:Feb 12 £349.58Mar 12 £279.66Apr 12 £249.12May 12 £337.66/Jun 12 £362.58/Jul 12 £317.03/Aug 12 £354.02/Sept £439.72/Oct 12 £210.16
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Spending day...L**l..£44.00

HB..£12.00..toilet roll kitchen roll toothpaste dishwash tabs etc

A**is £8.00..crisps supersix cream crackers..eggs..
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure