June 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2012 at 12:29PM
    second time lucky - just deleted my first post without saving it!

still off sick and going through tissues at a rate of knots so off to buy some more. Feeling like I need soup today so going to get some watercress to make rose elliots delicious watercress soup - you fry the potatoes first and it gives it the most amazing taste! Also thinking I need some tom yum so will look for spinach or pak choy, whichevers cheaper!

on a disappointing note i found a grocery receipt for may in an old carrier bag and have to increase the total by £28. :( thought i had been so good at collecting receipts too. still it was only my first month which will make this months reduction look even better! :T

JJs Watercress Soup

I'm not familiar with the recipe that you use but if you are run down, the best way to make it to get the most nutrition is to:

1)Fry onions in butter (butter makes it much more lush!),
    2)Add thinly sliced potatoes to the onions and butter in the pan and fry.
    3)Add stock. Simmer until potatoes are softened.
    4)Put potatoes, onions and stock into the blender...

...THEN add the washed and ready to eat watercress as you are about to blitz it.
    (The enzymes are destroyed by cooking so the soup is much more nutritious this way.)

I make it this way every time I get reduced price watercress from Ts.

JJs Dinner Party Version:
    If you are having a dinner party, (or just fancy more protein), a nice little touch is to put a lightly cooked poached egg in each bowl before you ladle the soup in.
    As the guests go to spoon up the soup, it breaks the yolk and releases golden threads through the vibrantly green soup.

It looks and tastes delicious!!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • mummy2mygirls
    mummy2mygirls Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2012 at 12:39PM
    MrsCD wrote: »

Have you tried squashing the toilet roll a bit into an oval shape rather than round? It makes it harder to just pull like those pesky puppies do on the TV!!! :rotfl:

We have one of the big ones which holds 4 and isnt screwed on the wall so they can just take it off. I might have to get DH to put one on the wall so we can slow them lol. But its mainly the 3 yr old so cant moan too much as she is still little and learning :) Its a pain when she drops its down the stairs though and ive got to roll it all back up :D
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
    :jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,041
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Well I haven't spent anything on groceries since Sunday's Mr T delivery because I'm trying really really hard to only shop once a week.

On Monday night, made casserole with the leftovers from our roast chicken on Sunday padded with butter beans and veg - there was enough to make 4 'dinner portions' plus an extra 'lunch portion! This means that we've gotten 3 dinners for the 2 of us, plus one lunch, out of one 1.5kg chicken. And I made stock from the bones! I only buy free range, but buying whole chickens is helping me feel better about the cost as it wasn't much more for the whole chicken than it is for two breasts on their own which only makes dinner for two :eek:

(That may seem like a v obvious revelation but I've only just started eating meat again after being veggie for years:)).

Had stir fry for dinner last night - amazing how you can make a meal for two out of some noodles, a carrot, half a pepper, half an onion, a handful of cashew nuts and an egg. Well with honey/soy sauce/ginger etc as well. Running low on veg now (can you tell :rotfl:) but not buying more until Sunday! Only problem is, the OH wants to come shopping on Sunday when we go to Mr M, which is NEVER good if you want to save money :eek:
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • sb88_2
    sb88_2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    cleggie wrote: »
    Good morning!

Welcome to Katy and all the other newbies :) You are most definitely in the right places. The ladies and gents on here have helped me so much, i am really glad i joined the GC.

So, today i am doing my 1st online shop with Mr T. They responded to the message i posted on their FB page about a code for £10 your 1st £50 shop, and i also have a £15 off a £75 shop.

I think i can use them together. So i think i may do a £75 which meand i'll end up paying £50 for it! Hopefully it'll work!!
    Also, the new offer leaflet comes out today, with loads of coupons to use, so i will have a look at that 1st, to see if i can enter any codes from there.

Hope you all have a great day!

Apparently you can use them together! Do you know when they expire ? Thanks Sarah :)
    Weightloss: 18lbs/28lbs (Start weight: 11st, Current 9st 10)
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Hi Sarah, i am not sure when they expire.

If you want the codes, et me know. I also have a £2 off code when you spend £8 on Dairy.
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Yay!

Just had the idea of getting a juicer again to use up all the whoopsie goodies from Ts that I sometimes have to decline cos of the problem of how will I use em up.

I gave one away about 8 years ago but that was cos I didn't go bargain hunting like I do now and fruit was too expensive to buy just for the juice alone.

It is a crafty way of getting the goodness from dandelions n nettles too ;)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • I’m reporting a NSD for the Purplesheila household again today.

Housework done this morning, followed by swim at my Local Baths, I was very good and even went on my pedal bike to save petrol. Came home starving and had some of my Home Made Minestrone Soup which I made this morning. Such an easy and cheep recipe and a filling snack for the kids when they get home from school.

Easy tea tonight, defrosted a tub of Homemade Tomato and veg sauce to go with pasta and I have pulled out a garlic bread from the freezer. I have also made some Coleslaw as side. If they want a pudding we have tinned peaches in the cupboard. ½ hours before the kids get home so I think I will take the dog for a walk J

Here is the recipe if anyone wants to make it....

Warming VeggieMinestrone

1 Onion - Chopped

2 celery Sticks – Chopped into small pieces

4 small carrots - Chopped

1 tbs Vegetable oil

400g Tin of Chopped Tomatoes

2 ½ Pints of Vegetable stock (Made with Stock cube)

125g of Pasta (I use macaroni purchased cheep in Ald!)

410g Cannellini Beans (I use a cheap tin of Baked Beans withSauce rinsed off)

5oz of frozen peas

1tsp Mixed Herbs

Method

· Fry vegetables in oil over a medium heat for 10minutes

· Add tomatoes, stock and herbs, bring to a simmer

· Mix in pasta and continue to cook – depending ontime required for pasta

· Add the peas and beans for the last 3 minutes

· Check seasoning and serve
    April Grocery challenge £0/£160 (17th April-30th Apr)
    NSDs - 0/14
  • sb88_2
    sb88_2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    cleggie wrote: »
    Hi Sarah, i am not sure when they expire.

If you want the codes, et me know. I also have a £2 off code when you spend £8 on Dairy.

Hi, If you could send them by Pm that would be great! :)

I'm hoping they will last untill Saturday when I have enough money to go shopping !! I may be able to stick to my food budget this month! and have some food left for next :)

Turkey and lentil curry tonight! Yum :) Sausage and Lentil Casserole tomorrow! (I'm putting lentils in everything this week to fill up a bit better!)

Trying to diet, and food budget, and cater for a fussy eater who is never full! Things are starting to get better though :)
    Weightloss: 18lbs/28lbs (Start weight: 11st, Current 9st 10)
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    sb88 wrote: »
    Hi, If you could send them by Pm that would be great! :)

Done :) Hope you find it useful!

PS- the codes i gave for extra points dont expire until 08/07- think i forgot to say that in the PM!
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yay, managed to have another NSD today! Have resisted the lure of Mr Aldo when we had to pick up the car. I would have only gone for a look around, but you know how easy it is ...

SB88 - any chance of a link to the sausage and lentil casserole? Or is there a particular recipe you use as it sounds lovely :)

TIA

K xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure