MSE News: Barclaycard Freedom scheme to be scrapped

Options
"Barclaycard Freedom customers have until 21 June to earn Reward Money, and until 26 July to redeem any points ..."

Comments

• VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Barclaycard have sent me loads of bumf about Barclaycard Freedom in the past. While I love a good reward scheme, every time I looked into this I remember thinking it looked like a load of rubbish.

Doubt it will be missed.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Please use our pre-selected clip joints. :rotfl:

No wonder my Reward Money balance is zero.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    I think they should provide a means so that this reward money can be donated to charities if the card holder can't find anything suitable to spend it on.
    J_B.
  • oscarward
    oscarward Posts: 898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    With mine they put a credit balance on the card last year which I then used to pay my sons student insurance.
  • Abetorius
    Abetorius Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    I'm lost, I was a morgan stanley card holder (1% cash back) and was moved to goldfish and then to barclaycard when they bought them over, at that time they said that they would be uphold my existing 1% cashback scheme as they had bought my custom from the other provider. Now they are scrapping it, I feel totally cheated and like this can't be legal this would be like comet selling me a TV, dixons buying them over, letting me keep the tv for 2 years then replacing it with a radio.

Probably time to move away from Barclaycard and return to telling people not to bank with them I guess, bit like Bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland.
  • thegoodman
    thegoodman Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Abetorius wrote: »
    Now they are scrapping it, I feel totally cheated and like this can't be legal this would be like comet selling me a TV, dixons buying them over, letting me keep the tv for 2 years then replacing it with a radio.

Probably time to move away from Barclaycard and return to telling people not to bank with them I guess, bit like Bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland.
    Your example is wrong in this case. With all credit cards, the company do not need to give you a credit or rewards. You are not buying a product. The card company can stop your credit and reward at any time.
  • Abetorius
    Options
    thegoodman wrote: »
    Your example is wrong in this case. With all credit cards, the company do not need to give you a credit or rewards. You are not buying a product. The card company can stop your credit and reward at any time.
    Not wrong, but certainly a grey area. Since I didn't at any point take a service with Barclaycard, they bought my custom from another company and are now ceasing to support the service that they bought after telling me that they would continue to support it.
    It's just another in a long chain of issues I have with Barclaycard, had they not upheld the cashback when buying out goldfish I would have jumped ship then.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm lost, I was a morgan stanley card holder (1% cash back) and was moved to goldfish and then to barclaycard when they bought them over, at that time they said that they would be uphold my existing 1% cashback scheme as they had bought my custom from the other provider. Now they are scrapping it
    They are not scrapping the cashback, that still remains. What they are scrapping are is Freedom Reward scheme which was nothing to do with the cashback.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not wrong, but certainly a grey area. Since I didn't at any point take a service with Barclaycard, they bought my custom from another company and are now ceasing to support the service that they bought after telling me that they would continue to support it.
    It's just another in a long chain of issues I have with Barclaycard, had they not upheld the cashback when buying out goldfish I would have jumped ship then.

I think what they meant was that your previous provider had zero obligation to give you 1% cashback (as in they can withdraw it at any time - obviously they have to honour any you've already acquired). Barclaycard then also had zero obligation to continue paying out the 1%, it is not illegal for them to stop (as long as they tell you).

Though the impression I get is the same as TadleyBaggie above. Unless I'm wrong, freedom seemed to be their semi-cashback scheme that they applied to anyone who didn't have a proper cashback scheme with them. I'd imagine your cashback will continue (though that's not to say that will go as well when they release their new schemes in future).
  • Abetorius
    Options
    They are not scrapping the cashback, that still remains. What they are scrapping are is Freedom Reward scheme which was nothing to do with the cashback.
    They replaced the cashback with the freedom rewards scheme, or so it appears on my account information.
    From their email: "As we move forward with these programmes you will no longer be able to earn Reward Money after 21 June 2012 and you will have until 26 July 2012 to redeem any you've saved up."
    Could be I'm mistaken here, feel free to point me at your source that shows that I should still be receiving cash back as a founding card holder.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure