🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

PV install - upset neighbours

Options

Comments

• jamesingram
    jamesingram Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    There are several cases similar to Prestwich , I'm currenty aware of.
    though these are in conservation areas.
    from the planning portal (england)
    http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/solarpanels
    "Wall mounted only - if your property is in a conservation area, or in a World Heritage Site, panels must not be fitted to a wall which fronts a highway. "
    planning statement 22: renewable energy
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/planningpolicystatement5
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Wall Mounted??

Given that people put panels on a roof and not a wall, I wonder how they define 'wall mounted'? Do they mean on a building as opposed to 'Stand Alone'?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 253 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are several cases similar to Prestwich , I'm currenty aware of.
    though these are in conservation areas.

So they are not similar to Prestwich, as they are in conservation areas. :D

Given that most of the country is not in a conservation area, and that the whole purpose of a conservation area is to maintain an aesthetic quality which has developed due to the history of an area (which should be conserved), I don't think anyone would argue that having different, stricter conditions in conservation areas was not appropriate.

Matt
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 May 2012 at 10:24AM
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Wall Mounted??

Given that people put panels on a roof and not a wall, I wonder how they define 'wall mounted'? Do they mean on a building as opposed to 'Stand Alone'?

Panels are usually fitted to roofs for the obvious reasons that roofs are high up (avoiding shadows), and have a natural slope.

However panels can be fitted to walls. Quite easily in fact since the brackets can be bolted cheap and easily (especially if a quick setting resin bolt fix is used). The brackets can be angled to give the panels an angle to the sun, though obviously steep, since like roofs, the panels should not obtrude too far.

Edit: For anyone interested in the idea, I've mentioned this before, but my smaller (1.2kWp system) is partially wall mounted. 3 panels are on my lower roof, the other 2 panels are fitted on wall brackets I had made. The 2 panels replaced an old canopy that had deteriorated. The brackets are technically 70 deg from the wall, meaning the panels are 20deg matching the lower roof. The 4 brackets are over-engineered, just in case of wind lift. Are made from 1inch by 1/4 inch wrought iron, and were made to measure. Total cost for 4 brackets, galvanised, 12 threaded rods, nuts, washers and a tube of bolt-fix resin - £100. Additional important point, the brackets were all pre-drilled with 700mm centers to take the standard brackets and rails.

Edit x2: Should have also said, if anyone is thinking of mounting panels on a wall, then you'll probably need planning permission. At the very least check first!

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • jamesingram
    Options
    larkim wrote: »
    So they are not similar to Prestwich, as they are in conservation areas. :D

Given that most of the country is not in a conservation area, and that the whole purpose of a conservation area is to maintain an aesthetic quality which has developed due to the history of an area (which should be conserved), I don't think anyone would argue that having different, stricter conditions in conservation areas was not appropriate.

Matt
    Similar to Prestwich , in that the local council are acting on a complaint, post installation and trying to claim a planning app. is required ,thus ignoring permitted developement rights.
    The fact they are in a conservation area should make no difference as they still fall under PD if mounted on the roof
    (as mentioned above)
  • jamesingram
    Options
    I can cover the all the walls and roof of my house in Pv/solar thermal should I wish to . This falls under permitted developement (except in conservation areas, no wall mounting on primary elevation (part of house facing the highway))
    But if i was to install 200mm external wall insulation to the primary elevation I may need a planning app.
    Go figure !
  • jamesingram
    edited 4 May 2012 at 6:14PM
    Options
    Wall mounting of panel is uncommon, but is used.
    With solar thermal, wall mounted panels can be oversized to maximise winter gain( when energy is most needed) , whilst reducing summer over heat .
    Linked with a inter-seasonal heat store this set up can be used in a
    'Solar' house , one that realise on the sun only (in conjunction with high levels of insulation) for its heating/hot water requirements.
    Add PV and this will then create the possibility of a building that creates more heat/electrical energy than it consumes, an ' Active house '
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Saddos.Is that all they have to moan about. Its a good thing they are not my neighbours. I mean,they could have one of these wafting over the rooftops....

ham-mast.jpg
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Similar to Prestwich , in that the local council are acting on a complaint, post installation and trying to claim a planning app. is required ,thus ignoring permitted developement rights.
    The fact they are in a conservation area should make no difference as they still fall under PD if mounted on the roof
    (as mentioned above)

Doing a little research on the internet!

You are quite right about houses in a conservation area 'generally' being allowed panels on the roof as a PD - but not on the 'front wall'.

Apparently it did include the term 'or roof slope' but that wording apparently was subsequently deleted from the General permitted development order by The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) (No. 2) (England) Order 2008

That explains why the regulations for the conservation area(in which I live) originally stated panels were banned if visible from the road.

However it would appear that the 2008 relaxation is not the end of the story.
    Property Alterations: If you live in or run a business from a property in a conservation area you may need permission from the Council before making alterations such as cladding, inserting windows, installing satellite dishes and solar panels, adding conservatories or other extensions, laying paving or building walls. As the Council can change the types of alterations that need permission by making Article 4 Directions it is advisable to contact the Council before making arrangements to starting any work.

Several entries stress the Article 4 directions:
    Further restrictions may be applied by the Local Authority or Secretary of State through use of Article 4 Directions where a good case can be made.

High standards of design are expected for new development within Conservation Areas.Proposals which pay special regard to prevailing patterns of height, massing, layout, articulation, enclosure and use of locally relevant materials will be required. Early consultation should be sought with local Planning and Conservation Officers. Further information on
    Conservation Area character can be obtained from Character Appraisals where these have been produced.

So it certainly would appear prudent to at least talk to planning officers.
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If anyone is any doubt (perhaps the neighbours are known for complaining) it is possible to apply for a Certificate of Permitted Development from the council (via the planning portal if you want). It's similar to a planning application but without local notices and consultation. It can all be done online (apart from paying).

Once you have the certificate, no-one can ever order you to take them down.

This is different from a letter of opinion from the council, which doesn't carry any legal weight.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business