January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Have just updated signature and slightly gone over my target. Only by 13p and if it hadn't been for feeling a little 'down' in my lunch hour and popping into Poundl**d and seeing the Finish dishwater tabs (15) then I think I would have had another NSD. Feel like I'm getting another cold, it will be my third since Christmas, and though I take vitamins, I seem to be surrounded by people with germs, and as I have a fruit allergy I am always susceptible to colds even though I pop the vitamin C tablets. First week of new job and was seduced by the thought of putting the dishwasher on as ran out of tablets just after xmas and feeling tired, and the new office is heaving with so many germs, everyone is coughing! Roll on the weekend!
    GC 2012 April £0/£150
    March: £176.71/£150
    (payday 22nd) NSD 3/10
    Feb: £138.93/£150 NSD:11/10 :j
    Jan: £171.13/£150:(
    Nectar rewards: £18.55, Boots £13.82
    Sealed pot challenge 5 no 1602:
  • Was meant to be a NSD today but OH picked up some whoopsies at his work for our goodie cupboard - 8 x Quality St Big Purple bars 14p each as they're Christmassy. Not out until June. So we've spent £1.12 today x
    :T Mummy to 1. Devoted wife. Christmas addict! Life lover. Thrifter & Crafter. OU Student :T
  • Fiasco55
    Fiasco55 Posts: 1,347
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Was in M & $ food today and god some reduced stuff.

Stuffed peppers £2
    Frites x 2 £1
    Beef Roasting Joint £5
    snack munch box £1.25

Got some other things for lunch,drinks for cinema and snacks. Total £19.87
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • Have been naughty and spent £10 which i am fine with being over budget since it was a 6 week month.

£4.04 in sainsbos on sun plain yogurt 2 nco soups and 2 multi packs of crisp and today £5.84 in the chinese supermarket, got a huge pack of rice noodles, 4 chinese pears they are huge, a pack of garlic powder and pack of gReen beans, there is loads so will cut and freeze at weekend once i have taken some stuff out lol all healthy stuff anyway, can't wait to start my next budget, don't get paid until 30th jan, it's all good i have a annual budget too.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    samarnesen wrote: »
    A bit late to start now but would love to join for February

Welcome to the GC ;) Zippy will start the Feb thread around 28th Jan.

Kylieminoag, wishing some good luck for you soon :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2012 at 11:47PM
    Kylieminog - sorry to hear about your redundancy.

Just a quickie update, spent 3.99 on 1.5kg of chicken breast, which is going to be portioned and frozen, and 3.71 on loads of reduced items in morrisons, and £23ish on a tesco delivery coming 2 moz, will update the tesco spends to my sig 2moz. Happy hunting all
  • 666paw
    666paw Posts: 332 Forumite
    I have finished January way over budget and have estimated to have spent £325+ as don't know where half my receipts are.

I will again attempt this again for February which start for me tomorrow.

£250 please.
    I promise I will keep better records this month.

MFI3 T3 # 75
  • Linz4383
    Linz4383 Posts: 319
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Y DO I HAVE TO WORK IN A SHOP :O
    a small spend to add £5.21 on sum baguettes and ham for my t at work ... for got to get bread to take a sandwich, bought a bottle of juice, sum oats and syrup to make sum flapjack, also got a box of bold (10 wash) 90p and a 1.5litre cheap washin up liquid for 20p .. thought this may b good to make bubbles in the summer :D
    think im goin to make sum flapjack on friday so ive got sumthin to snack on, thought about crushing sum crunchies up and mixin that into it?! get rid of sum of the xmas chocolate :D
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,869
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I love it! :D:D:D:DI didn't realise but I've been playing freezer tetris all month since I started the dont throw food away challenge and the grocery challenge.... I had thought it was a complete headache fitting everything in - but if I think of it as Tetris I'll enjoy it! (especially with cold fingers to chase OH round the kitchen with as an added bonus!):eek::eek::eek:

I'm having a rotten time at the moment being made redundant, broken ankle and and and.... its been one thing after another. Coming on this site every night and catching up with all your antics and meeting you lot has really made me feel like I'm not alone and there are others who are having just as tough a time, facing up to it and getting on with it. I think you are all really brave and have some fabulous ideas.....thank you so much. I'm proud to be associated with you.:T:T:T

Virtual hugs are being sent to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:
    samarnesen wrote: »
    A bit late to start now but would love to join for February

Welcome I only joined in Jan and you will love it :)
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • Morning All,

Big hugs Kylieminoag, I was made redundant twice in 6 months a few years ago. But now settled in a new job and am glad it happened, I will keep my fingers crossed for you that something comes up for you soon.

Last night I made our household favourite of Chicken & Chorizo Gumbo.

Ingredients:

1 tbsp oil
    200g Chicken chunks (raw or left overs)
    200g sliced chorizo (MrS Basic range one has the least nasties in it!)
    1 onion diced
    1 clove garlic
    2 / 3 peppers
    1 small tin sweetcorn (100g I think drained weight)
    400g tinned chopped tomatoes
    bay leaf

Method:

Fry off the chorizo until the paprika oil runs out, cook the chicken if raw (if not keep it to the side for now)
    Throw in one diced onion and one crushed garlic clove the chopped peppers and the sweetcorn (I normally throw the water in too!) Pop the tinned tomatoes and bay leaves in and bring the mixture to the boil, then turn down and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes.
    If using precooked chicken throw this in now.

The gumbo takes about 20 minutes in all to simmer.

Serve in high sided bowls or with some rice.

This recipe makes enough for 4 - 5 portions depending on if you serve it with anything.

Hope you all have a good day.
    Jan GC £242.38/£250
    Feb GC £147.57 /£240
    2012 Clothes Challenge £97.50/£500
    Repay £5K in 2012 £254.17/£5000
    2012 NSD 14/200 (Jan 14)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income