January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 January 2012 at 6:03PM
    Dinner yesterday was LO gammon in a herb sauce with mustard mas (GF and DF )

For the herb sauce I made a roux from two tblsp butter (marg or DF spread can be used) and Two tblsp flour( I use Doves Farm GF flour) Then slowly add 300ml of chicken stock ( I use Bisto Best or HM chicken stock) just a little at a time stirring until all incorporated, add extra water if needed. Then stir in 2tsp of mixed herbs. I spooned this on the heated LO gammon.

For the mash, make as normal and then add 2tsp of Dijon Mustard, or to taste (I use Tesco own Dijon as it is GF ).

Also caramelised some apples to go with it. Toss peeled and cored and quartered Granny Smiths in lemon and sugar. Melt some butter in a pan and bung the wedges in to cook, turning frequently.

Served this with green beans.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • 98jdougl
    98jdougl Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    NSD today :)
    Made gammon with pineapple, rice and a white sauce for dinner tonight - only used a tiny bit of gammon, shredded up so went quite far - I loved it (even if the sauce was thinner than I planned :( ) think it's because we had this with chicken quite a lot when I was at home so reminded of my mum. However... I overcooked the rice - I have a problem with rice, for some reason I can NEVER get it right - usually leave it to OH who declared that dinner was basically rice pudding with bacon pmsl. he ate it all though so I'm not complaining!
    Off for a nice bath and then need to split the gammon and chicken I cooked yesterday and put into portions and in the freeer - must not forget to do this tonight!
  • I think I read somewhere back when on this thread someone had made sausagemeat hash? If so does anyone have the recipe. Sounds delish. Thanks
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,048
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone
    Tigersfeet your dinner sounds lovely and beats my fish cakes, jacket pot and mushy peas, even writing it down doesnt make it any more appealing but Im trying to eat out of the cupboards etc so Im having right peculiar concoctions :rotfl:

Tomorrow Im out dinner that was paid for by others so thats good I think the main course is mushroom stroganoff cant remember what the first course and pudding are

Been a no spend day for me but have bought my daughter a couple of things so spent 3.28 will adjust my sig in a mo.
    Jxx
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, 

• SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,869
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    SueP19 Hi sue, here is the name, it sounds really easy, here is the link, somewhat different to how i described.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgGioBpe3SMthe

Ta :grouphug:
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,048
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    oh just remembered I put 25.00 fuel in the car
    jXX
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, 

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi...spend in lidl today i got some of there edam cheese that is on offer...its nice i know as we had some for lunch

i am going to try and not shop next week and really get to grips with the stockpile...i have enough fruit to last and will just go to the local shop for milk if i need to

done a meal plan for next week which is using up big packs from the freezer...still a fair bit left though

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Tonight's dinner Pork Chops marinated in a HM BBQ sauce ( GF and DF)

To make the sauce put 9 tblsp of ketchup in a bowl ( I use Tesco own). Add 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, crushed. Two tblsp olive oil, 1 tblsp Dijon mustard ( I use Tesco own), 2 tblsp honey, 1 tblsp worcester sauce ( I use Life Free From Worcester sauce), 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp vinegar. Mix it all together and spoon over chops. Turn chops over and spoon over last of the sauce. Put in the fridge, these can be done the day before or up to an hour before. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway.

I served this with mustard mash, as I had some left over from yesterday. Just made a bit more to make it up. Also carrots and green beans.

REMEMBER TO CHECK THE INGREDIENT'S OF ALL SAUCES ETC. AS CONTENTS CHANGE AND WHAT IS NOW GF COULD CONTAIN IT IN FUTURE.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • baroley
    baroley Posts: 40 Forumite
    First visit to a major supermarket this year, and my first big shop. Feeling well in control of my finances so far, and although there is not a lot left in the bank, having done a budget and checked when direct debits etc go out, we should get to the end of the month in one piece! And peace of mind feels good!
    Grocery challenge month runs from 25th to 24th
    January £100. £96.20
    February £100. £1.64
  • zebbeddee
    zebbeddee Posts: 29 Forumite
    Hi all,

Can I join the grocery challenge please, as its a 5 week month can I put down £250 for the month please.

Many Thanks

Rachel J
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family