IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Delivery rights: Amazon
Views: 35,859
# 1
Former MSE Rose
Old 25-11-2011, 1:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Delivery rights: Amazon

Hi all, this discussion thread's part of the Delivery Rights guide, specifically for if you've complained to Amazon about delivery problems using the techniques in the guide.

Please tell us how you got on - we want to know if you were awarded any compensation from Amazon, and if so, how much? Just let us know the amount and reason below; to add more general feedback on the guide, pop over to the main Delivery Rights discussion thread.

Thanks
for your help,

MSE Rose

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 25-11-2011 at 3:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Former MSE Rose For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
macavity
Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i complained about the delivery not turning up last week and all i got was a wet standard 'we're sorry we wont do it again' reply. rubbish, especially as they will do it again using flipping useless yodel.
# 3
silaren
Old 06-12-2011, 11:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I didn't complain but was considering it, if I didn't receive my package this week.

I ordered from Amazon on 25 November. The estimated arrival date was 1 December. According to their tracking, the package sat at my local Yodel delivery centre from 28 December until 3 December. Then it was 'out for delivery' on 3 December. I didn't receive the package until this morning.

The delivery man was surly and he thumped on my door very loudly even though there was a working doorbell in plain sight. My package was damaged at the corners but thankfully the contents were intact but a little bit bashed - not enough to make a huge fuss though.

In the meantime, the part of my order that was delivered by Royal Mail, including a subsequent order that came from Jersey, arrived last week. I've never had problems with Amazon before and have been a customer for 5+ years, ordering about 5-7 times a year.

IMHO Amazon needs to have a serious review of Yodel and consider dropping them - they're damaging Amazon's reputation. If I knew that Yodel were delivering my order, I would have cancelled it and ordered from another supplier.
2011 December - No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries - UUs: 5 In: 5
2011 December - Grocery Challenge - £8.70/£45
2011 December - Make £5 a day Challenge - £7/£155
2012 Frugal Living Challenge - £8.70/£4000
# 4
COSTLYPETROL
Old 07-12-2011, 9:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Has anyone experienced the fact Yodel (employed by Amazon) dump parcels instead of delivering them?

In our case our parcel was dumped by the roadside half a mile from our farm (we are remote!).

Amazon simply reply with a template apology email but no explanation.

Anyone know a contact at Amazon who is interested in what has occurred?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to COSTLYPETROL For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
DJ_SA
Old 07-12-2011, 3:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Amazon refunded my delivery charges only because it was a guaranteed express delivery and City Link lost the parcel. I ordered another one and when the lost parcel was delivered, I refused it. In this case, I guess the feedback is neutral since I wasn't offered anything extra for two consecutive days of waiting.
# 6
visidigi
Old 07-12-2011, 3:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Ive had no issues with Amazon as such - but they could certainly do with adding the option to control the methods of delivery they use for prime subscribers - I would imagine this would make a massive difference as you never know if you can send it home incase they send it with a courier which needs a signature...
The Following User Says Thank You to visidigi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
GibsonSt19
Old 07-12-2011, 3:52 PM

I ordered a replacement modem router, as mine had died. I paid for RM Special Delivery (by 1pm the following day), and received and email to advise it would arrive that day.

I took a holiday day off work to take receipt, but the parcel didn't arrive.

I called Amazon Customer Service, and spoke to US based reps (even though I ordered on amazon.co.uk). The first rep didn't offer to address the situation at all, so I spoke to his manager. His manager offered to refund the delivery cost (which is policy), but I didn't feel this was good enough. She couldn't do anything further, so I spoke to her manager. After 30 minutes speaking with him (total of 1hr 40mins in on the phone) he offered £10 credit. I wasn't accepting this (as my holidays are worth more), and pushed him further. After a further 10 mins on hold, he came back and offered £11.50!

I was most uphappy at this point, and asked to speak with his manager. His manager wasn't available, and so after being put on hold again, they offered 20% of the value of the item. This didn't go far towards my holiday day, stuck in the house, but I accepted it (out of sheer phone fatigue!).

The rep promised the item would be delivered before 1pm the NEXT day, and my wife took the morning off work to take receipt.

It still didn't arrive before 1pm, therefore my wife went into work.

I returned home to find a RM delivery card, stating they'd attempted delivery at 12:25 (not so).

This was all such an inconvenience, as both my wife and I had work deadlines to hit in the evenings, but without the router we couldn't do this.

Out of interest, the RM Track & Trace site showed a delivery time of 14:50 (late), but I just couldn't face taking the matter any further.
Love, love is a verb; Love is a doing word...

Last edited by GibsonSt19; 07-12-2011 at 3:55 PM.
# 8
Evilm
Old 07-12-2011, 8:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Amazon - Yodel.

- delivery estimate 1st December.
-on 30th November parcel marked as out for delivery at 2.27.00, marked as delivered 2.27.01. (for comparison took 4 hours a few days before - booked out 10am, delivered 2.15ish. Note: That one was placed in a "safe place" - picking up the doormat that was smaller than the parcel and placing it in front of it. It made it more obvious than just leaving the parcel on its own! Also the neighbours were in all day)
-Didn't realise until Sunday 4th and emailed Amazon
-they replied the same night with a "yeah, this isn't good service" but no confirmation of what, if any, action they were taking.
-called in to Yodel 5th at 8am and was told it would take 48hrs to investigate.
-Got call from Yodel this morning 9.10am or so to say "we've asked the depot for information.. we will let you know".

So far.. nothing good. No new parcel sent. Was told by Amazon I can't request them to use Royal Mail (at least they have a delivery office nearby) and supposed 48hr response from Yodel was barely an acknowledgement they were still actually trying to bother doing anything about it.

I will be hammering them later this week and will update this thread when we reach a resolution! So far... very unhappy!

EDIT: Nothing since Wednesday 8th. Called Yodel this morning and got told their system is crashing all the time and they couldn't even look up my tracking number until this afternoon. Poor girl on the phone sounded terrified I would abuse her and was thankful when I said I understood and would call back. (I am however annoyed at them in general but that particular person was as helpful as she could be.

I've now cancelled the amazon order and I'm taking a special trip to go get the item from a store in a not so near city. I will still be trying to confirm what I can do to get my address 'blacklisted' at Yodel because until I do I won't be using Amazon again until I can see who they will use for delivery before paying.

Last edited by Evilm; 13-12-2011 at 11:34 AM.
# 9
Padz
Old 07-12-2011, 9:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I pre-ordered a release day game (PS3 Skyrim) recently and it wasn't delivered on release day because they gave it to Royal Mail to deliver. I was livid and have vowed never to pre-order new releases from Amazon again. I complained but they didn't care.

I was on an Amazon Prime trial at the time and it was the deciding factor. I didn't sign up to Prime.
The Following User Says Thank You to Padz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
razord
Old 08-12-2011, 8:58 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I had a package dispatched from Amazon on Sunday morning for delivery on Monday, by Yodel/HDNL of course.

This has been sat in their bristol depot since Monday, with no "Out for delivery" at any point. Amazon agreed to dispatch a replacement item yesterday, but also used HDNL, but this is showing as Out for Delivery this morning.

Amazon also just emailed me to say the delivery due monday "may arrive one day later than expected" - which suggests something pretty catastrophic has happened, as 2 other colleagues got the same email, but for them they've had parcels sent to the wrong delivery depots on Monday, and they're still there.

Amazon Prime seems less awesome when they use HDNL.
# 11
pinkteapot
Old 08-12-2011, 12:46 PM

I find Amazon's telephone customer services very good. Had two instances where I've phoned them and been happy with the outcome:

1) I'm a Prime member. I ordered an item on a Friday and the website said "Guaranteed delivery on Saturday" throughout the order process. They dispatched via CityLink who... don't deliver on Saturdays. I phoned Amazon to complain and was given a free one month extension to my Prime membership.

2) A recent order was delivered by CityLink. It was a large item so I had to have it delivered to my home address, rather than work. Got a card when I wasn't in to take delivery and learned that my nearest CityLink depot is 60 miles / 75 minutes away! I called CityLink to try and get them to leave the parcel in a safe place but gave up after 30 minutes on hold. I then called Amazon who took all the details and called back 5 minutes later to say that CityLink would bring the parcel back the next day and would leave it as requested.

I find Amazon's telephone customer services much better than their email system.
# 12
pink_pirlie
Old 08-12-2011, 1:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I find Amazon's "online" chat" very helpful for resolving problems, they seem to go above and beyond what is required without having to really ask. I've ordered a few items that have required returning recently, but agree the delivery companies are useless!

A few months ago I ordered a CD that it transpired I already owned. As it was received with no cellophane wrapping I was unsure whether I could return as it wasn't sealed. I messaged them via the online chat to find out if it would be possible to return and was told to put the reason for return as fault / damaged packing (I think), and the postage costs I paid were also refunded.

During the Black Friday sale I ordered the Vax upright for £99.99 but then found out a colleague's husband could get one cheaper as he worked for the company. I attempted to cancel the order but as it had already entered the dispatch process it could not be recalled. Amazon advised to refuse delivery. However, Yodel left the vacuum with a neighbour so I could not refuse delivery. I messaged Amazon via the online chat function and they said it would be collected via couriers from my workplace free of charge - despite their T&C stating that buyer has to pay return costs unless it is due to a fault on Amazon's behalf. Unfortunately, City Link failed to come and collect it so I had to message Amazon again to re-arrange delivery. The 2nd day it was collected. Luckily I arranged for it to be collected from work rather than home as I wouldn't have been happy sitting in all day waiting.

There was something in Martin's email this week regarding compensation of lost days as a result of waiting in for deliveries. It may be worth pursuing these from Amazon and may lead them to rethink the courier they use and / or any SLAs they have with them.
# 13
northwalesd
Old 10-12-2011, 2:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I know my experience is pre the fightback, but wanted to add my two penn'orth.

Order placed with Amazon on Tuesday 8th November, paid for express delivery, which guaranteed delivery by 1pm Thursday 10th November. No delivery...

Complained to Amazon, only response was to refund my delivery charge and this email:

I'm sorry to hear that you're not satisfied with the service from DPD.

We take full responsibility for the delivery of our goods from start to finish and take complaints of this nature very seriously. We’ll replace any items lost or damaged during delivery at no extra charge and monitor our carriers very closely.

We realise this incident reflects negatively upon Amazon.co.uk and the feedback you’ve provided will be used in reviewing the service provided by DPD.

Thanks for taking the time to contact us and to bring this to our attention.

I personally think my complaint makes absolutely no difference and Amazon won't review anything, maybe it's the cynic in me.
# 14
Flickering Ember
Old 10-12-2011, 3:05 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I've been a loyal customer since 2003, buying a lot of stuff from them over the years. However, I am starting to get tired of Yodel too. I bought a book (worth under £10) and they decided to send it via Yodel instead of Royal Mail. After it sitting in Yodel's depot for a few days, according to the tracking, a delivery was attempted yesterday, when I was sitting at home with the door to the flats where I live left ajar. There was no knock at the door, neither doorbell was rung, and no card was left. I spent 3 hours trying to phone Yodel, whose phone is permanently engaged; they don't even let you queue on hold as it were...I then thought I'd email them, but it said my parcel number didn't exist, when it clearly did and still does. So I have no idea when or if I am going to get my book.
Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
# 15
COSTLYPETROL
Old 10-12-2011, 6:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Take comfort Flickering Ember.

I also have been a customer for many years but that will have to change due to the fact Amazon now repeatedly send template sorry emails and still employ Yodel.

Prior to that it was City Link whose last driver was drunk. It is now my understanding as he was a temp. he has lost his job after reversing into a ditch with at least 20+ empoty beer cans in his van!

It would appear there is nobody responsible at Amazon at present or they would have revealed themselves.

Whilst I am fully aware that the people who complained about school dinners will continue to complain about everything else throughout life I never had a problem with a school dinner and am reluctant to complain and be subjected to blatant abuse by people who are quite simply having fun as their reason for attending their work place.
# 16
Wetherby Pond
Old 12-12-2011, 4:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Yodel /HDNL -consistently unrelaible

We have had problems with Amazon delivery:

CityLink didn't deliver. Tracking said "signed for". Eventually the package arrived via Royal mail. Someone had dumped it in a RM Postbox. Tracking then changed. When I complained Amazon refunded £5 (it was on Prime) and CityLink eventually forwarded a photo of the wrong house.

HDNL (Gatwick depot) didn't deliver -tracking said tried to deliver (but they didn't as we were in, and they didn't leave a card) and then tracking showed it stayed at depot for 4 days. I complained and then cancelled the order. Excuse from HDNL (also known as Yodel) was sheer weight of orders at depot. Amazon refunded £5. 2 days later the package arrives... I refused it and said it was cancelled 2 days ago.

A week later it is delivered again, this time with CANCELLED scribbled on the top. I refused it again. HDNL have weak tracking, no idea of customer service, and unreliable drivers. Amazon added £8 to my refund.

I have had numerous incidents where HDNL don't deliver to schedule, and what their tracking says is aimed at keeping Amazon happy, not a true reflection of status.
# 17
whizzocki
Old 13-12-2011, 6:51 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Seething with Amazon and Yodel

I ordered a laptop for delivery on Thursday 8th December with (head in hands) Yodel.

Thursday 8th December - waited in all day, it didn't show up.

Friday 9th December - waited in, it didn’t show up, called Yodel in the afternoon, they said I would have it by the end of the day. I didn't.

Saturday 10th December - early morning, emailed Amazon customer support to ask where my laptop was. No reply. Afternoon: called Yodel again. Kept on hold for 30 minutes. They didn't know where it was and suggested I call Home Delivery to whom they had subcontracted the delivery, as the parcel was 'probably' at their depot. No answer on the number they gave me. Called Amazon customer support, kept on hold for only 20 minutes this time. The customer support agent was really helpful, but unable to promise anything could be done until after the weekend. She said she would call the delivery company on Monday and arrange for delivery next week. I said the only day I could not be at home was Monday. So that's NOT Monday. Any other day is fine. Monday is the only day I can NOT take delivery. Please arrange delivery for Tuesday.

I also asked whether Amazon would be willing to compensate me for the waste of my time over two days and she said she would look into doing something for me. Within an hour she gave me £10 credit to my Amazon account and sent an email summarising our conversation and what was going to happen next, ie, delivery on Tuesday. (I’ve already spent the £10 on interminable calls to Yodel trying to track down the parcel.)

Later Saturday afternoon I got an apologetic email from another Amazon customer support person, saying that Yodel have found the parcel and will deliver it on, yes, you’ve guessed it, MONDAY. Phoned them back again, and eventually got them to ask Yodel to deliver it on Tuesday. My confidence that they would do so was NIL.

Monday 12th December. What next? I'll give you three guesses. No, one will be all you'll need - Yodel tried to deliver. (It would be laughable if I weren’t so furious.) However, I saw on tracking that they "couldn’t find the house" (do they not have SatNav? or a map? or any common sense? for Pete's sake, there are only 20 houses in the village) and of course I wasn’t in to field their phone call for help with directions. Actually, not that they bothered to ring - nothing on 1471. It was dark, getting near the end of the day, so they just... gave up.

I'm sick of it, sick of it. Of course, there is zero chance the laptop will arrive today now, so I'll have to contact Amazon again this morning. I no longer want the laptop. I want my money back. I will never use Amazon ever again for anything other than Royal Mail parcels.

Lessons:
1) Don't call Yodel. They just keep you hanging on an 0844 number.
2) Don't email Amazon customer support. They don't reply.
3) Use the Amazon customer support callback instead.
4) Don't use Amazon at all. Go to a shop.

# 18
withabix
Old 13-12-2011, 7:04 AM

Amazon should indicate the method of delivery BEFORE you click on the 'Pay' button.

That would allow you to make a considered decision - continue with the order or cancel.

Their chosen delivery companies are random at best - I ordered TWO identical items in ONE order a few months ago. One came by Royal Mail Tracked, the other by HDNL!!!!!

Amazon are, however MUCH better than many other mainstream online retailers in terms of delivery and Tracking information.

If you want an example of REALLY POOR, try Debenhams!
Every Little Helps me fly the world with Tesco!

BA Avios current balance: Approx 350,000
The Following User Says Thank You to withabix For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
whizzocki
Old 13-12-2011, 7:37 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I will say that Amazon's customer support staff are very calm and helpful, even if the end result is not what was wanted. I just wish they would lean on their delivery companies for better standards. I have just got off the 'phone again and come to an arrangement whereby if the laptop is not here by the end of the day I get a full refund. However, I've been duped already by Amazon commitments, so I don't expect it to arrive.

I'll keep the forum posted as to what happens. (I'm assuming it'll be down to PC World next week when my refund comes through...)
# 20
pinkdragon
Old 13-12-2011, 10:03 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I ordered a laptop from a tv shopping channel. Noticed an e-mail on Sat evening stating the pacel had been delivered Fri at 7.30pm, so I went looking for it. I found it behind my bins at the bottom of my garden - nobody had bothered to even walk to my door and leave it on the doorstep! It had been raining hard all night so you can imagine the state the laptop was in so had to be returned and they're now out of stock grrrr. The delivery company? Yodel!!!!