November 2011 - Grocery Challenge

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    CompBunny wrote: »
    Thankyou to those who sent your best wishes to my Grandfather.

Sadly, he passed away on Friday evening. I was priviliged enough to be holding his hand as he slipped away. He was more like a father to me than a Grandfather in my adult years, I miss him terribly already. He was a gentle man who was devoted to his wife and family, served his country and his faith.

Adding £19 to total spend, most of it lazy comfort food :(

So sorry for your loss but pleased you had the comfort of holding his hand this will help you get through.I lost my Dad.Son and best friend
    in just one year
    and deeply regret I was not able to be there with them. Enjoy your comfort food, not lazy at all.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Wanted to stock up on the Catheral City Cheese £2 in Asda and needed long life milk for my emergency stock,realised this would come to about £20,so thought i would go to the £40 to get £5 voucher looked at the tins of Cadburys Roses, thinking I would need a couple as thank you gifts for the nurses looking after my Mum, Then I thought at that price I might as well get some instead
    of Easter eggs, best before date 20.4.12.Easter Monday 9.4.12 so date OK,

Then realised for this to work you must have 8 different items, so put some roses back and bought Heros, Celebrations, quality street and Victoria biscuits. So far so good but still only 7 items.Ok
    had enough now poor old brain is aching, throw in a bottle of cheap wine and I am there.
    Total £44.When I have drunk the wine and had a few chocolates I will update signature. Love to all
    Slimming World at target
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Todays dinner is Rice and peas with mango chicken, all is quiet as they stuff their faces.

1 onion-chopped, 2 cloves of garlic-crushed, 200gm long grain rice, 400g kidney beans, 500ml veg stock, 200ml coconut milk, thyme, 200gm petit pois-frozen.

Fry onion for 5min. Add garlic and then stir in rice, cook for a min or two. Add kidney beans, stock and coconut milk and season well. Bring to boil and simmer for 25 min or untill rice cooks. Add thyme and peas for the last few mins, then fluff with a fork.

Jar of mango chutney, zest and juice of 2 limes, skinless chicken breasts.

Mix together chutney, lime juice and zest and season well. Heat griddle pan and add chicken breasts. Sear on one side and turn and spoon mango mix over, turn and spoon, turn and spoon until charred and cooked through.

Serve with the remaining chutney mix heated through.

Clean plates and wide smiles abound.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Rachelww1- where is that market??? They are fantastic prices for meat - I wish I could get it that cheaply!

Spent the afternoon cooking! Got some reduced drumsticks in Aldi so made a barbecue marinade and put them in it ready for tea tonight, sliced up my GIANT red cabbage and have loads of it salting ready to pickle later, plus made some braised red cabbage (a la Delia) to freeze and also made some hm coleslaw with red and white cabbage, red onion, apples, walnuts, raisins and creme fraiche (to go with the barbecue chicken).

Tigerfeet - that chicken and rice sounds lovely!! I will definitely give it a try!

I tried the farmfoods bacon before when I made a bacon buttie for DD2 for after school and it was lovely! I was surprised at how no white gunge came out and how tasty it was, without being salty. It was really lean too. I will definitely buy it again!

DD2 has gone out so will have a snack when she comes in but DD1 and I will have the barbecue chicken and coleslaw. I bought some B1G2F Mr Kipling mince pies the other day so they can have them if they want afters or a snack later. I tried a mince pie (don't usually like them) and it was okay, but I wouldn't have another. I usually buy some at Christmas from the bakery near me but when I was in there the other day someone was getting some and they were 46p EACH:eek: I will have to make some but it's not a task I like as I hate making pastry.

Hope everyone is having a good day.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • compbunny - so sorry about your Grandad.

DD2 is getting confirmed at the end of the month (catholic) - however I am not expecting to spend ANYTHING on it!! Am I being a real meanie, but I had just thought we would go to the church and that was that - I didn't rank it along with communion celebrations!

Spent £25 this morning in Farmfoods and Aldi - bought bacon in Farmfoods for the first time today so will be interesting to see if it is nice.
    For the confirmation you could arrange an "American supper" where everyone brings a dish of something with them and some bring some drinks-that would be cheap!

Farmfoods bacon is excellent! I am certain you will agree:j
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • i spent another £10 today in Mr A which I don't go to too often. Wish I had known though that Cathedral City was only £2 as it is my favourite cheese but maybe it will still be that price when I have to return to that shopping centre sometime this week to return the item of clothing that I bought today that is too small for my DD.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Deepest condolences Compbunny. You were there and I'm sure he knew that while he slept and passed peacefully.

Thinking of you,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Spent £5 on 3 for 1 pasta in mr T's, and cheese, garlic bread. Also spent £16 on another shop from mr T's. Using my freezer, HM spag Bol for tea.
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    catherdral cheese is also bogof in tesco at the mo works out slightly dearer than asda (i don't even have an asda) but it usually has good dates, just incase anyones doesn't have an asda like me

my tesco order came i got £74 of food for £30.03 :j now to be fair i wouldn't have spent £16 on yogurts had they been full price nor would i have bought 3 blocks of cheese at over £4 (seriously does anyone pay these prices when there not of offer) but i am happy with what i did get, and mil bought us chippy tea :beer: i owe the school £4 aswell but i can't find my envelopes so it cane wait til next week
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Another NSD today, bring my total to 6 for the month!! :j

My boyfriend is coming up this weekend and next though, and weekends with him are never cheap. Although, with my car out of action (going into the garage tomorrow to see what is wrong with it, hopefully it wont be too expensive), we wont be able to travel very far, and hopefully wont spend too much money!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure