November 2011 - Grocery Challenge

Comments

• CompBunny
    CompBunny Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Happy November everyone!:D:D

Following our relative success so far (last year we probably used to spend around £300 per month on two of us and the dog), can you put us down for
    £150

for November please?

I'm really finding GC-ing very useful, thankyou everyone! It makes me think every time we spend on food/drink, although I do have to remind myself sometimes that its OK to treat outselves too :)
    GC2012: Nov £130.52/£125
    GC2011:Sept:£215
    Oct:£123.98Nov:£120Dec:£138Feb:£94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - £4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012:heart2:

• hello
    I'm aiming for 260.00 again this month, which is approx £60 per week for us. We nearly stuck to it last month, but got really busy and rubbish month coming up, so may struggle to shop around as much as I usually do.

Thank you !!!
  • budget_babe
    budget_babe Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    edited 30 October 2011 at 7:29PM
    I must say this is quite addictive :)

My month will run from the 29th to the 29th as this is payday.

I have just edited my Ocado order which now stands at: £108,54 along with my organic meat order which is £63,50 so total so far is £171.04. (Both of which have yet to be delivered).

I have just done a list for Home Bargains for tomorrow, toilet rolls, toothpaste etc.

So will see what that comes in at.

I guess that one could become quite obsessive with this, :o oh the challenge to stay within target.

Mr Budgie may tire of this come the end of the month, me feels. ;)

Still Budgie likes a challenge.

Take Care
    Budgie x

Oh and thankyou to everyone who organises this challenge and to the experienced posters whose advice is much appreciated. I think its a constant tweaking experience, but I have emptied my bag of all old receipts, so am starting afresh.

Bring it on.
    Cherish the ones you love and travel back on the road that brings you home :)
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson :A
  • mummyroysof3
    mummyroysof3 Posts: 4,566 Forumite
    going to try to join in this month after getting off track..feel free not to add me to totals though in case i cant keep up..this thread moves fast. aiming for £375 though
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • p-pincher
    p-pincher Posts: 727 Forumite
    Hi Everynoe

First NSD of the month today, had a real lazy day and didn't even get dressed. Had to leave work early on Friday as I was feeling rough with the start of an ear infection, had loads to do yesterday, no rest for the wicked.Had two spends, one in Sainburys and another in Aldi so another £29.73 spent altogether. Loving aldi at the minute, the chicken thighs are a bargain and the super 6 are right up my street.

Really gotta try to come in budget this month as i've been through my online banking today and ive got a heavy month this month. Want to get all my big spends out of the way this month so my December pay can be saved. Need some fresh bit and bobs this week but got plenty in for dinner and got all the meals planned.
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    A frugalish recipe a friend gave me on Friday which I've just put up on the frugal living thread but thought it may be of interest here aswell.
    I'm not veggie but thought it sounded tasty
    Baked Bean Pasties
    Makes 8 pasties. Can be frozen for a month
    2 tbsp olive oil, 1 small onion finely chopped, 1tbsp mild curry paste, 100g red lentils, 450ml veg stock , 200g baked beans, 100g frozen peas, 1 tbsp mango chutney, 450g puff pastrym 1tsp caraway seeds, seasoning [including sea salt]
    Preheat oven 200C. Heat oil and fry onion 5 mins. Stir in curry paste, lentils and stock. Simmer 15-20 mins until thickened. Stir in beans , peas and chutney. Season.
    Roll our half pastry on floured board to 30cm square. Cut into 4 triangles. Repeat with other jals. Spoon 1/8th of mixture onto one half of one triangle. Brush edges with water, fold other half over and press edges together. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Brush with water and sprinkle caraway seeds and sea salt . Bake on a baking sheet for 15-20 mins until golden.
    Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,656
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Aril
    that does sound tasty and its vegan!
    A recipe I use that I got some years ago from the side of a tin, but does not sound as posh as yours. The filling was a tin of mixed beans drained and rinsed and mixed with 2oz grated strong cheese, a chopped pepper, 4 chopped spring onions and either chilli powder or a chopped fresh chilli. Then put into pastry sheets brush sides with egg to seal and use rest of egg to glaze. Bake 20 mins until golden.
  • Bad organisation on my part strikes again... Because we didn't get in town yesterday in time for me to go into the bank & get bus fare change, or collection money for church, I spent another 51p this morning on throat sweets, then used the change at church (collection for DS2 & me, donation for the coffee & biscuits of which DS2 has lots, & 2 books of raffle tickets). So I had to go back to T3sco Express tonight to make sure I've got bus fare for DS1 for the morning... They had bunches of flowers reduced to 20p! & I got 3 bunches :o

I'm not counting bus fare money out of my grocery challenge or church money - what I'll have to do as I get better at accounting for my money is do a budget for each of them to see what I'm spending there too.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Aril, I've added your Baked Bean Pasties recipe to the front page index; they sound good, I'm going to try them myself ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • sls1365
    sls1365 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Hello all

First of all, I wanted to say today was my first NSD!!! Yahoo!! :T

Yesterday, I spent £47.96 in Aldi and £5.57 on a pumpkin, bread, milk, and two danish pastries (I couldn't help it!!).

I have enough from the Aldi shop to feed us for the week and to top up the freezer. I also bought some fabric conditioner in Aldi - it's an experiement, cos my little one has dodgy skin. If she breaks out in excema, I might have to go back to the pricey stuff :o
    Gave up smoking on 16/11/11 :j

If you don't know where you're going, how do you know when you've arrived?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure