Freezing Mashed Potato

Comments

• MrsAtobe
    MrsAtobe Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    sianlee wrote: »
    Hi,
    When you are making your mash put your potatoes in the pan & put back on the heat for about 30 seconds to a minute to ensure they are dry (not too long so they stick or begin to catch). I find that helps.
    If my mash is ever a bit watery when I have defrosted it, I just drain the water off before I heat it & beat it :o.

Hope this helps :)

I have been draining off as much as I can, but the mash itself is still wet, iyswim. I end up using double the amount of flour that I should, and the mix is still too wet to use a cutter on. I end up having to dollop the mix into the frying pan, hence the comment about rustic potato cakes! I will try drying the mash out more before I freeze it though, thank you.
    I think you would be better off making the cakes with fresh mash and then freezing.

You can always reheat them in the toaster.

They wouldn't make it to the freezer in this house, the OH loves them too much:).
    Good enough is good enough, and I am more than good enough!:j

If all else fails, remember, keep calm and hug a spaniel!
  • Emuchops
    Emuchops Posts: 799
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I will be interested to find the answer to this as I have the same problem-nice dry mash goes into the freezer-wet slop appears once defrosted-no idea where it comes from....

(to dry it out I tend to wrap in clean teatowel and press).
  • sophistica
    sophistica Posts: 233 Forumite
    Potatoes do not freeze. The reason why commercial/supermarket mash freezes is because they have either added a lot of fat to it or used reconstituted potato. I would google "freezing mashed potato" to see if there is a way round it.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    i dont know the answer but i had the same problem ...its a pain as i always do too much mash
    onwards and upwards
  • billywhizz
    billywhizz Posts: 263
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There's a thread here that suggests adding an egg?

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/345395
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,940
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    how do you make potato cakes?
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I agree with sophistica....potatoes do not freeze, I have never yet eaten anything other than chipped potatoes that are good from frozen, and I'm Irish FGS, so I know all about potatoes, right?? I have tried commercially frozen and home frozen mash and it is just like 'gloop' for want of a better word, so I now just either carefully ration the amount I cook or saute leftovers the next day. I am sure that many of you will disagree and that's fine, but I knows what I likes and its not frozen mash!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • becs
    becs Posts: 2,101 Forumite
    How is it any different from making a shepherds pie with mash on top and freezing it? I do this regularly with no problems, i just wrap the pie in clingfilm and pop it in the freezer. Same with fish pie.
  • MrsAtobe
    VJsmum wrote: »
    how do you make potato cakes?

Here's the recipe I use:

450g cooked potatoes
    25g melted butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    Salt and pepper
    40g butter for cooking

Mash the potatoes, if necessary
    Add the melted butter, stir in the flour, salt and pepper.
    Turn the mixture onto a floured surface, and press out until 1cm thick.
    Cut out with 7.5cm cutter.
    Melt the cooking butter over a moderate heat, and then fry the cakes for approx 3 mins each side.

HTH.

• MrsAtobe
    sophistica wrote: »
    Potatoes do not freeze. The reason why commercial/supermarket mash freezes is because they have either added a lot of fat to it or used reconstituted potato. I would google "freezing mashed potato" to see if there is a way round it.

I have googled it, and it looked like I was the only one having problems:(. And I do tend to use just butter in mash.
    becs wrote: »
    How is it any different from making a shepherds pie with mash on top and freezing it? I do this regularly with no problems, i just wrap the pie in clingfilm and pop it in the freezer. Same with fish pie.

Perhaps you make the mash drier to top a pie with, than you do to eat?
    i dont know the answer but i had the same problem ...its a pain as i always do too much mash

Lol, I always ask how many tatties the OH wants, and he always over estimates!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure