July 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    pipersky wrote: »
    ... had baby 3 on Tuesday ..

congrats to you and your OH and welcome to little piper ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Congrats pipersky!

I have spent way too much on my month off from this challenge. I was supposed to only be buying stuff I would actually eat, but yet again, I've got through a month, and there's more in the house now than there was at the beginning of the month. This happens every month, and I don't know where to put it all!! AARGHH!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • TizerCat
    TizerCat Posts: 473
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have done Icel&nd and &sda shopping today. £6 Icel&nd and £8.55 &sda. TOTAL Grocery spends £14.55 so far this week. Shouldn't need much else with help from the allotment :) got some whoopsied rolls and egg mayo for the students packed lunches tomorrow as they are off to Cambridge for the day.

Menu for the week

Chicken pie HM in the freezerwith broccoli and carrots
    Quiche HM in the freezer with salad and pots
    Chicken breast with salad and pots
    Spehgetti Bolgnese
    Sausage and beans casserole and rice
    Pasta Alfredo
    Pizza with salad or maybe chips

Keep up the good work GCer's nearly the end of the month :)
    Debt at LBM 27 Sept 2010 £40,640.17:o cleared it in 2017. Debt now £3600 on credit card 0% and £20k on consolidation loan Oh dear will I ever l learn!? B][/FONT
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,678
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    £35.49 spent this week. Signature updated. I am still buying milk from the supermarket instead of the milkman delivering. Now that I am into the habit of only shopping once a week, it seems to be going well. As the summer holidays have started, it feels like I should spend next weeks grocery money on bread, ham and monster munch......
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Congrats pipersky!

I have spent way too much on my month off from this challenge. I was supposed to only be buying stuff I would actually eat, but yet again, I've got through a month, and there's more in the house now than there was at the beginning of the month. This happens every month, and I don't know where to put it all!! AARGHH!!

PG x

Same here, more and more cupboards are being given over to food storage... when will it stop? I think I have a problem...
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ragz wrote: »
    Same here, more and more cupboards are being given over to food storage... when will it stop? I think I have a problem...

i have that problem aswell :o

today is a nsd were off to a birthday party this afternoon and it's a great day for it, when we get back i'm gonna make a spanish omlette for tea as it's very warm today s we'll just want something light
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 23 July 2011 at 8:02AM
    Hi Chums well I have been pleased with the way my food budget has gone so far this month and for August will only need a budget amount of £50.00 as I am away on holiday for the last two weeks.I am hoping that I will have at least a tenner to put into the ice-cream-for-the grandkids fund from left over cash from my July food purse.I have been shopping from my freezer for the greater part of July so its helping to shift the food mountain in my stocks :):)
    Well done to all those that have managed to get through the month so far and its the fact that we are all thinking before buying thats important not how much we have to spend .Focussing on you expenditure is money-saving in itself.I am constantly on the lookout for basic stuff that can be stored up for the coming winter as food prices keep rising almost daily I have a good stock of pasta,museli ect and will be looking towards finding some inexpensive porrage oats as not only do I have them for breakfast but I use them in cakes as well.
    Well done everyone we should have a pat-on-the back smiley I think
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Hi all. I'm back after a wonderful holiday. Planning Mr T for tomorrow. Hopefully to last for the rest of the month. Planning on coming in under £100 for the month with 14days away. We'll see.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • Two days,two new recipes and two resounding successes-

Yesterday I had 5 tortilla's that needed using and a chorizo sausage in the freezer so google -

Made Potato,Chorizo and Cheese Qusedilla for a BBQ.

Parboiled 2 small potatoes cubed.Dried before frying.
    Fried 1/2 onion,clove of garlic for 3-4 mins, add potatoes,chorizo,
    S & P.
    Place on half moon of tortilla,flat bread etc.
    Cover with mixture of mozzarella and cheddar.
    Brush wih oil - Cook in oven,under grill or on sandwich press till golden serve with salad,meat or alone as a starter.

Made onion marmalade this morning from this recipe thread.

Added handful of raisins,3 cloves and 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds in addition to the recipes.

'Tis divine

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • andyslinz
    andyslinz Posts: 130 Forumite
    Hi everyone!

I have been reading through the thread and you have all inspired me to join! :T

I would like to start in August. We shop every Saturday morning at A$di and L$dl so I think I will try and budget for four weekly shops.

There are just the two of us, myself and OH, so budget to start with is going to be £150 which will include food, cleaning and toiletries, but I would like to trim this to eventually £100 (or less!) We write a shopping list every Friday night, look online at the deals (A$di super 6 and also L$dl special offers too) so when we go on a Saturday morning, we know what we are going for and we usually stick to our list!!

Tend to avoid Mr.T Mr.A Mr.S and Mr.M at ALL costs!! Cannot bear how busy they get and also how much choice there is, makes it difficult to focus on a list at all! And I get easily distracted, esp. in the bakery parts!!

Well here's to a new start and hopefully a first success for me in the grocery challenge.

My challenge will begin Sat 6th August and I will update my sig from then. Next Sat (30th July) will be my "test run" I am setting myself a mini-target of £25!

andyslinz
    Marrying my gorgeous Andy
    27 July 2013 at Gretna Green :D
    Sealed pot challenge..Saving for the HONEYMOON
    Will be cracking open the pot of dreams May 2013 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts