PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Elisheba
    Elisheba Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, that was the weekend that was! In terms of grocery challenge, I've not done too badly. A £25 spend a L**l, about £30 on stuff for the cats that should last the month and less than £20 on toiletries. Only really bad thing was buying some rubbish at abarage when I got petrol. Almost £5 I really didnt news to spend. On the pocket money aide of things however, not so good. Very, very busy weekend, and I am left with a tenner for the rest of the month. Which is frankly no good at all. I have already committed to more than that. However, no point crying over spilt milk. I can keep it as quiet as possible and keep over spend to a minimum.
    HM bread and hummous made last night, so that's this weeks lunches sorted. The hummus went a bit odd! It doesn't taste much like hummus but it's nice enough lol. Wraps with leftover bits for dinner tonight.
    Live the good life where you have been planted.
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    More people joining in for July :T Good luck Beki, peony40, nickynoo08 and got-it-spend-it

everyone seems to be making a good start to the month :T

I'll be breaking my string of NSD's today or tomorrow to get a few things from the butcher and c00p but have enough 'divi' coupons to pay for my c00p bits, if I remember to take them! :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • somethingsgottogive
    Options
    I'd like to join you all this month as we've been spending far too much on 'goodies' and it needs curbing now! I'm aiming for £120, including nappies and cleaning stuff, for the rest of July :)
    Paying off CC in 2011 £2100/£1692
    Jan NSD 19/20 Feb NSD11/15March/April ? May 0/15
    Sealed pot 1164 it's a surprise!
  • Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 July 2011 at 12:27PM
    Options
    Can I revise my total please? Could you put me down for the new total of £190.00. I have taken out all the direct debits/bills that have come out of the £500.00 I originally put and this is what I am actually left with.

DH pays for the shopping each month out of his money, plus every three months we go to Costco to stock up on various bits - toiletries, meat etc.

My total is for the bits I always end up buying in Asda or various other food places as I always forget to get stuff out to cook, hence the dash to Asda..lol

So my new total for July is £190.00

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    morning all, i knew i hadn't spent so much, my new total is right :) nipping to te$co tonight for some bread, milk,yogurts and fruit thats all we really need to see us threw the week except a big bag of spuds, hubby is off all next week, picnic stuff will come out of my budget however i have also put aside £50 for eating out hopefully we won't spend all this but if we do i'm not too worried

todays breakfast was reduced muffins and bagels from the freezer, luch will be waffles and a few nuggets, i'll prob have cuppa soup or curry, dinner is going to be sheperds pie and the kids can have jelly
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    First spends of the month:- £9.18
    mainly on co op reductions, some turkey steaks £1.50, big pack kentucky style chicken pieces (will do 2 meals) £3, bag potatoes reduced to 21p! and as a treat some fresh raspberries for £1.50 total £6.21

Then off to sainsby for the branston baked beans 4 tins for 99p so bought 3 packs @ £2.97 - that should keep us going for a while!

Now have £140.82 left in the kitty!

Having the leftover chicken tonight in a pasta bake with an apricot crumble (to use up some tinned apricots from last night).

I was going to pick some soft fruit today but had an e mail from the farm to say better to leave it til later in the week as everything was very well picked over at the weekend! Jam making will have to wait! This is where my money will go as will also have to buy some certo!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • luckycat99
    luckycat99 Posts: 318 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2011 at 11:01AM
    Options
    Newb here! Can you put me down for £200 please? I spent £290 last month which is far too much, but we do have cupboards and freezer full, so hopefully that will be a big help. Already spent £62 this weekend (mostly store cupboard stuff) so £138 left for 2 plus cat. Need to cut down more but baby steps...
    14 projects in 2014: 3/14
  • Winged_one
    Winged_one Posts: 610 Forumite
    Options
    I got bread and milk in Mr T yesterday, as I was getting flowers for my gran anyway. Then I realised I needed a few more bits, so called into Mr SQ on the way home from my grans and spent another €82! I needed cereals, kitchen towels, fruit and veg, and a few more bits, and the double packs of 2l 7up and club orange were on a good price - we use a fair bit of that in the fine weather so I got one each.

Actually, I just realised that I never made any allowances for what OH got in the farmer's market on Saturday - need to add in about €15 I think (pork chops, strawberry and apple juice, cheese, olives, pizza bases and sauce - oops the pizza pack is €5 on it's own, ok maybe €20).

But I also got a lot of veggies from the plot on Saturday. Peas for everyone for tonight, broad beans, spinach, raspberries and a small handful of mixed currants, first of the new potatoes, and 3 lettuces. I also got a good lot of seeds sown while I was there, so hoping for a good crop later in the summer too (peas are great but will finish in another couple of weeks as I missed successional sowings - but I got one more long row sown this weekend for late August, for example).

Menu this week:
    Sat: Broad beans (HG), bacon lardons, handful fresh tagliatelle, garlic (HG) and a spoon of creme fraiche
    Sun: Macaroni cheese with lardons, courgette, pepper, broadies, mushrooms
    Mon: Pork chops with HG peas and HG potatoes
    Tues: HM pizza
    Wed: Chicken with spinach and pasta
    Thurs: Stuffed mushrooms and tomatoes
    Fri: Probably some kind of mixed veg stir fry
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • Gorgeestwo
    Gorgeestwo Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Made the mistake of just 'popping' into Mr T yesterday for bread and milk, £13.11 later I'm not sure what I bought besides bread and milk really :mad: so need to try harder to resist getting those little 'extra's'

Hopefully today will be a NSD :)
  • mrsrobertson
    mrsrobertson Posts: 249 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you put me down for £200 please?? :)
    Best Win 2011 - VIP Trip to Vegas
    Best Win 2012 - £26,000 of Gadgets
    Took a break 2013-2015 with Baby Robertson :male:
    Back in 2016 :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business