Real Life MMD: Should I speak to the boss?

Former_MSE_Lee
Former_MSE_Lee Posts: 343 Forumite
edited 31 May 2011 at 12:08PM in MoneySaving polls
Should I speak to the boss?

I'm one of a few part-time workers at a small rural gift shop. We've been open two months and as I frequently close up at the end of the day I have an idea how much we take. Right now, the owner isn't managing to pay staff their wages. I think we underprice lots of our gifts, but others disagree. Do I speak to the boss about it, and risk one or more of us getting the sack to save money, or keep quiet, hope business picks up and risk us going bankrupt?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• pennypinchUK
    pennypinchUK Posts: 383 Forumite
    Seriously, what's the dilemma here? Of course you talk to your boss - give him/her your suggestions, preferably backed up by research from other stores, etc. That's just using your initiative, and it's how an employee gets noticed. Turn around business and your boss is likely to promote you/give you a better job, etc.

If you don't do anything you'll all be out of a job. And then what have you achieved?
  • abjem21
    abjem21 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Seriously, what's the dilemma here? Of course you talk to your boss - give him/her your suggestions, preferably backed up by research from other stores, etc. That's just using your initiative, and it's how an employee gets noticed. Turn around business and your boss is likely to promote you/give you a better job, etc.

If you don't do anything you'll all be out of a job. And then what have you achieved?

I couldn't have put it better!
    What Dilema?
    To anyone that tells you "There is no I in team" say no there isn't
    But there ARE TWO I'S IN COMMISSION and I dont get paid "Team"
    ...........:D..........
    Faint Heart, Fair Maiden, Juan NEVER!.
  • svmitche
    svmitche Posts: 592 Forumite
    Totally agree! This is a no brainer - if you have ideas to improve business you do some research and present them. Don't speak up and people WILL be let go for definite.
    I'm so sexy it's a wonder my underpants don't explode.
  • bogwart
    bogwart Posts: 117 Forumite
    With respect, I think you're sticking your beak in where it doesn't belong. You've been a part-time worker at a new business for all of two months and already you've decided that you know better than the owner. Do you not think s/he has not already considered such matters as pricing, especially when the whole thing goes sideways? There is no upside in this for you. Either the shop will go bust or it won't, and you have nothing to gain either way. The business was obviously under-financed at the outset and if I were you I'd be looking for alternative employment.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    "Others disagree" That will be the other staff with more experience than your two months.

You keep on serving behind the counter, listen to the voices of those with more experience and let the owner run his business.
  • chergar
    chergar Posts: 189
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The shop has only been open two months so presumably all staff have worked there for the same period of time.

The "others disagree" could be the other staff members but it could be people who come in to the shop or people in the town.

As it is a rural gift shop is it in a touristy area, will business be likely to pick up over the coming months?

I would speak to the boss about your concerns, if he cannot pay the staff wages then there is serious trouble ahead, if he was managing to pay staff then it could be considered that any sale is a sale and upping prices could reduce business. Be polite and pro active in your approach though, don't criticise what he has done so far and come up with alternatives for him to look at (utilities, pricing, marketing to increase business, etc)
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think you should mind your own business.

If you talk to you boss YOU will probably be the one to lose your job. Why you might ask? I tell you why because he will think you are full of yourself and a busy body.

If the company goes bust what difference does it make? He isn't paying the wages anyway!!
  • Pmarmalade
    Pmarmalade Posts: 175 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2011 at 10:51PM
    Obviously the above responses reflect the different personal thoughts and experiences across different work environments and different personalities within them.

It would appear the negative commenters perhaps don't like to take advice from others or work in a place where their superiors don't like to be shown up. I work in a place where innovative suggestions are encouraged across the board with no risk of looking silly.

Your boss will fit either of these two types or, more likely, fall somewhere in between. Do you feel (s)he is friendly and approachable? Do you have a good relationship with him/her?

I think a couple of comments above are naive to assume the business owner always knows best and has thought of everything. Sometimes you're too close to something to see the problems, or you're too personally attached to fully rationalise. The worst business minds are probably the ones who aren't able to take constructive criticism or take a step back and see things from another person's perspective (especially that of their clients/customers!).

I say judge it based on your relationship with the boss and how well you feel they'd be open to suggestions. But letting him/her know your thoughts is always going to be a risk so know that you might not have a job at the other end as much as you could be appreciated for your ideas and efforts. Whether you are going to make this step or not - always be looking out for other opportunities if things aren't going well there so that if the worst comes to the worst you have ideas lined up.
  • double_mummy
    double_mummy Posts: 3,989
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    do it but dont just have an informal chat

research comparative prices, and make a full written proposal not only will this present well to your boss but if you do leave the job then you have a new skill for your CV
    The only people I have to answer to are my beautiful babies aged 8 and 5
  • JoannaS_3
    JoannaS_3 Posts: 103 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2011 at 12:05PM
    scotsbob wrote: »
    "Others disagree" That will be the other staff with more experience than your two months.

You keep on serving behind the counter, listen to the voices of those with more experience and let the owner run his business.

Another fine example that ageism is alive and well!!!! Experience doesn't equal wisdom!! This person has been observant enough to see the bigger picture which has naff all to do with their age or how long they've been there or what experience they have!!

This post is so patronising it's ridiculous..."you keep on serving behind the counter"......"and let the owner run his business" assuming that it is a man who owns the business too! Totally useless and unhelpful.....your experience hasn't made you wise has it??!!!
    Debt owed £4000, Saved (to pay back) £300, only £3,700 to go!!

My best money saving tip: Good manners cost NOTHING! So please be nice to each other! :happylove
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure