March 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    We've already cut down on alcohol, switched to own brands for things we can bear, and we sometimes take our lunches to work but we lose interest in doing that pretty quickly! Any other tips that might help me?? Thanks!

It sounds like you've made a really good start already :T I sometimes have spells when I can't face making packed lunches last thing at night, so periodically I make up a big batch of filled rolls or sandwiches & freeze them. Then if I can't be bothered in an evening I just get some out of the freezer and they're defrosted ready for morning.

The other thing which a lot of people find makes a huge difference is menu planning - it lets you write a list and stick to it instead of picking up everything that looks like when you're at the shops. Who me?? Never! :o
  • guccigoo
    guccigoo Posts: 483 Forumite
    sorry i havent been on for ages problems with computor :mad: so ive had to use my sons.

Anyway since i last posted ive spent £180.04 at mr s, mr t so will update this to my sig.

(((hugs))) to those that need them as i havent been able to read all the posts :(
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Popped to C0-op for milk, loo rolls and pears. It was about £6 but they didn't give me a receipt and DS2 was having a massive tantrum so I was a bit distracted.:o HM pizza and HM wedges for tea tonight. I will scrabble about in the fridge to make a salad. Might make some couscous too, thanks Hippeechiq!
  • LittleMissHappy_2
    LittleMissHappy_2 Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2011 at 4:06PM
    :wave:

Hi everyone :)

Spent around £94 in Mr T today :eek: but only because I was doing a DTD shop :D I split my basket so stuff I needed that wasn't cheaper in Mr T but was by multibuy or whoopsies I paid for first, then paid for my DTD basket...it was a scary experience and it felt very wrong to just pick up one item when they were BOGOF but I should get most of the money back (I checked the prices this morning before I went out).
    Anyway, I have changed my sig, but if I get the voucher back I will deduct it off, then add it again when I use it iyswim (I might use it for April shop)

Haven't checked back on the thread yet and haven't been on for ages, so hope you all know what I'm talking about :p Will read back now x

ETA - realised how long ago I last posted....a long time :eek: I will read back the last 10 pages then :o (and promise to keep up in future!)
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P :)), DSE141 (D :j), DSE212 (P :)), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    Like Martin's St Patrick's hat!!

Spent money yesterday, but there was a bit of damage limitation going on.

It was my turn to host the book group last night, which means providing wine and a buffet. I bought a "basics" pack of mixed cheeses from Mr S, with one pack of oat cakes and one of basics digestives. Found a whoopsied pack of assorted dips, and some basics hummous. Served these with carrot and celery sticks , chopped from veg lurking in the bottom of the fridge, and HM ciabatta loaves (hot from the oven). For "dessert" I served basics white grapes, and sliced and buttered HM friut loaf.

Bought a carton of basics apple juice, and decanted it in to my nice glass jug, opened a bottle of red wine that my cousin brought me a week or two ago, and a bottle of Chardonnay on special offer.

Served tea and coffee after (cheap versions but nicely served) - and felt (and was told) that it all looked and tasted great. And at little expense! A couple of people wanted the ciabatta recipe - which I got from Memorygirl's Make do and Mend thread last summer.

And we all enjoyed the book - Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2445739&highlight=ciabatta&page=17

Post #331 on the thread above gives the ciabatta recipe BTW - I'm sure Memorygirl won't mind me forwarding the link.

It uses the BM, and is easy as well as tasty.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Winchelsea, that's a great recipe, I've added it to our index :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    afternoon everyone, kids are off today so we all just had dairylea and turkey ham sandwichs, it was a super cheap meal as the dailylea and ham were from te$co DTD lol, and it was hm bread, and the kids had wagon wheels for AP aswell i also had a cupa a soup with te$co acually paid me to take :)

shoul be a nsd today, can't garrantee it tho as i'm off to te$co later with mil to help her get her dtd (i've spent far to much time in there this week) so if there any big whoopies i'll grab them cause it's gonna be around that time

dinner is pasta :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    just a quickie...popped into coop earlier and they had an offer i think 20% off free range chicken...well our coop must have ordered plenty and they were all reduced...i got a fr chicken for £2.65 which i thought was good value
    hth
    onwards and upwards
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm going to be doing my easy spag. bol. recipe tonight.

Brown off some mince, bung in some chopped onions and garlic and cook off some more. Add an beef stock cube, a tin of chopped tomatoes, a tablespoon of tomato puree and a handful of mxed herbs. Season well.

While this is going on boil some water and put spaghetti in to cook.

Serve with some grated cheese.

Watch while it is demolished.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts