March 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    NSD today.

I'm getting so used to typing that! I think this has been the best month for that so far! Today is the 10th, and I've had 7 NSDs! Ok, I know i'm no roger ramjet, but this is really good for me.

We had spaghetti bolognese for dinner today. Dutifully got the tub of batch cooking out of the freezer, hoping it was the right thing - some of you may remember my posts about UMOs and such - this was from before the days of labelling everything!! Turned out it was spag bol, which was useful. Not too sure what I'm having for dinner tomorrow, as the children will be at their dad's. Probably some of this soup I made days ago, and I'm going to freeze the rest now, or it'll go off. I WILL LABEL!!!

I have 2 or 3 dinner ideas for next month on my list already - I'm really enjoying this new way of doing my meal planning, and find it so much less stressful. At some point in the next week or so (maybe even sat as I don't have the children), i'll go through my freezer and pantry and starting thinking about April's meals. I've never been this organised, so thanks to everyone for helping me to rein in my reckless ways!!

Angel - how are you all? Been thinking of you.

Off now to bake some scones for a friend, and try out the weetabix brownies.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • ^ great job there penny! 7 from 10 is fantastic.

My run will come to end at some point - but it is interesting to see what I have stockpiled. But it is a slightly false situation since Mrs Ramjet and the junior Jetlets aren't here at the moment. Still, the other thing I am noticing is that the freezer stock isn't going down that quickly - maybe because I am more aware of what I am preparing/eating and also minimising waste. Much of the leftovers went in the canine compactors and also to the birds - but now I am trying to be a bit more creative. Hence, last nights green soup!!

Anyone got a good recipe for red cabbage - have a frozen tub of it in the freezer from the MIL.
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    1st April 2015
    Outstanding Mortgage (1&2): £75023/£76400 Target MF date: Jun 2019 (49 payments)
    Target OP (2015): £1500
    Outstanding Mortgage 3: £77000
    [STRIKE] Outstanding Loan: £1161 [/STRIKE] What Loan!
  • Diflower wrote: »
    Hello,
    Not had time to update before, doing ok. Just back from L!dl where they'd reduced the frozen turkeys to £6.99 so I got one and will cook it tomorrow. We'll have OH's boys for the weekend so will surprise them with and unChristmas dinner. Will keep some out and freeze the rest in batches for sandwiches etc.

Went back to find Angel's post. Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you, it's a tough time
    x

I bet that is an interesting recipe! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    1st April 2015
    Outstanding Mortgage (1&2): £75023/£76400 Target MF date: Jun 2019 (49 payments)
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Roger Ramjet - I had a real "moment" when I read your post - canine compactors - Oh I thought - wonder what they are, then I slapped my hand on my forehead, looked at my dog and thought oh yes, I know what that is!!! lol

Helenx
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • :rotfl:^ LOL!

I'm amazed what mine eat! Grapes, lettuce, you name it! Mind you, like children, one will only show interest if the other wants it!
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    1st April 2015
  • Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Especially considering this is my first day I have done very, very badly.

I left my good wholesome, cheap homemade soup at home and ended up buying lunch at £5.30.

Then to make things worse I've spent £69.53 in the pet supermarket. I did buy a new water filter thingy at £29.99 for my spoiled old cats which shouldn't really come out of the grocery budget. Thing is I don't really have another budget to take it from. Maybe if I don't buy Latte at work for £1.20 a time I can save that money back.

tigerfeet2006 I'm going to bake those cookies tomorrow afternoon.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So on day 1 of my 1st month I spent £44.94 leaving £455.06 for the rest of the month.
    Got to save £29.99 by not buying Latte
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    Popped on to report a spend of £11.57. I thought to myself that I was doing well. Then added it to my sig :eek:

Also had several lightbulb moments today.

1. I have not long finished watching "A Farmers Life For Me" I really love that show. It just goes to show what hard work the real Farmers put in and why we should try & buy locally instead of going to the SM. Something I will start doing as of now

2. I then switched over to watch the comic relief show about the slums in Kenya. To think I worry about when I can fill my cupboards, and my food cupboards are bigger than the "houses" they live in

3. If RogerRamjet can do it on £0.00, then my budget is a bloomin luxury!!

I've basically got enough food in to last a good few weeks, and although I'm not brave enough to go for zero, i'm going to buy only when absolutely necessary. For me, milk for my coffee just makes it taste nicer. But I'm super motivated tonight, so I'm going for under budget this month

:beer:
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Aldahbra wrote: »
    Especially considering this is my first day I have done very, very badly.

I left my good wholesome, cheap homemade soup at home and ended up buying lunch at £5.30.

Then to make things worse I've spent £69.53 in the pet supermarket. I did buy a new water filter thingy at £29.99 for my spoiled old cats which shouldn't really come out of the grocery budget. Thing is I don't really have another budget to take it from. Maybe if I don't buy Latte at work for £1.20 a time I can save that money back.

tigerfeet2006 I'm going to bake those cookies tomorrow afternoon.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So on day 1 of my 1st month I spent £44.94 leaving £455.06 for the rest of the month.
    Got to save £29.99 by not buying Latte

Try puting those Lattes in the Demotivator :D
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/protect/demotivator/

Hope you enjoy the cookies.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,856
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 11 March 2011 at 6:00AM
    Hi All

I have lost it a bit on my first month returning to the grocery challenge. DH and I have been sharing the shopping budget and it has been very hard to keep track of things. Also have been very tired and stressed lately and have given in to temptation to have a few takaways - but this isn't helping the waistline either.

At the moment we have £145 left from our £250 budget. This should easily see us through to the end of the month.
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Last night's Tuna Pasta Bake was a huge hit, had some Purple Sprouting Brocolli from the Allotment, 2 rashers of bacon in the Fridge to use up and some Cherry tomatoes so it went like this:-

Put some Pasta shapes on to boil and while that was cooking I chopped the Broccolli and bacon and fried lightly, meanwhile I made a White Sauce with half a pint of milk. When the Broccolli and bacon have been frying for a few mins I then put some of the liquid from the Pasta into the pan and put a lid on to "Steam" the broccolli. Open a tin of tuna, stir it into the White Sauce then add to the Pasta, give it a good stir then add the Bacon and broccolli and mix together. Pour it into a large Casserole dish, chop some cherry toms and scatter on the top, grate some cheese over and pop in the oven or under the Grill to brown. It was delicious.:D

My DD's said "it tastes like that packet stuff we have at so and so's house, except this is much nicer and tastes like proper food". How good did I feel.:o

Dinner tonight will be Fish, not sure yet as I'll go to MrM's fish counter, and some HM chips and mushy peas.

Have a good day everyone.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure