Real life MMD: Should I refund the Post Office?

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 8 March 2011 at 5:00PM in MoneySaving polls
Should I refund the Post Office?

I sent my son in law a parcel on 15 Dec for Christmas. By mid January it still hadn't been delivered, so I filled in a Royal Mail claim form. Within about a week I received a cheque for the goods' cost, though nothing for postage. A couple of days later the parcel arrived.

Should I return the cheque or keep it, as compensation for the very late Christmas present? Part of me would feel guilty paying it in, but at the same time it was poor service, even though I know the heavy snow caused severe disruption.
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    You didn't apply for late delivery compensation, you applied for loss of article. Article has turned up you refund the money.

Now apply for late delivery compensation.......... and the very best of luck to you with that one.
  • i dont know, i would probably give them a call and explain, they may well tell you to keep it or send you out a different cheque for late delivery
  • inicholson
    inicholson Posts: 62 Forumite
    Cash the cheque. Once it's cleared apply for late delivery compensation and offer to repay the loss of article compensation when you get that cheque! It's the Post office, they'll probably lose the letter and you'll never hear from them again.
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    i would explain to them the situation and give the money back
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • I'd say keep the loss of article cheque (if its worth more claiming for late postage - then return cheque and apply for that)

Whichever works out more for you, claim that.
    Long time MSE member… just sitting in silence in the background. Make money on the move. Join me and thousands of others.Sign-up to Skedadle with my referral code: QAGBDwww.Skedadle.com(My referral perk - I get 50p in my balance when you earn £1)
  • LOUY_2
    LOUY_2 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Royal Mail are already over stretched and overspent on budget.
    The last thing they need is to use valuable man power to pay in a cheque to write to them to return this, and someone to monitor this cheque to make sure it clears, - and then another headcount to process your claim for late delivery and another headcount to investigate into this claim.

Therefore just keep it and everyone is a winner
    Mortgage when started (Dec 2005): £120,000
    Current mortgage (March 2011): £98,563
    Update (Jan 2014): £89,639
    Mortgage free day: Jan 2034
  • noyb1234
    noyb1234 Posts: 9 Forumite
    I wouldn't give the cheque back. You didn't receive compensation for the late postage and so the cheque can pay for that!
  • My brother sent me a box of stuff to me in Australia over the Chritmas period and it's been 10 weeks. Anything else I've been sent has turned up in less than three.

Is there anything he or I can claim back?
  • Since the parcel turned up, keeping the cheque would constitute fraud. :eek: Although the Post Office handle millions of packages, there is nothing to stop them making further investigations when least expected.

Yes you could write to them stating the package had turned up, but you were disappointed with the delay, and see if they are prepared to offer any form of recompense.
  • Notebook
    Notebook Posts: 281
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You have never had this happen to you - you wouldnt get compansation after a year let alone a week or month - it has happened to me twice!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure