February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi All

A few spends to report from the weekend.

£13.40 for a meal out with my mum for her birthday.
    45p on a tub of coleslaw from Mr S.

There will be a few extra spends over the next coming weeks because my fridge, freezer and cupboard are empty bar the obligotory mint sauce, ketchup, oregano, cumin etc. I've got the spices/condiments just nothing to add them to. :(
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • Ilona wrote: »
    A quick dash to Tes&co today for a few essentials. No time to wait for the reducing lady.
    Melon, plums, swede, big bag of carrots, (potatoes too expensive so decided to pass), soya milk, yogurt, lettuce, value mushrooms, broccoli, Value potato salad, 4 baps. Total £8.34.

This should last me for most of next week.
    Ilona

Hi Ilona,

I have found the potatoes have gone up in price at Mr T, but Sainsbergs do quite good ones at .99p for 2.5kg
  • Hi there, just spent £2.49 in Sainsborg's. Took my online Mr T. list and found a couple of things I could get cheaper. Will now be prowling Addl and Lidi to knock a few more things off the list before going to Tesc's to finish off and use my vouchers hurrah!

Will update this weeks running total when I return. x

Oh - and p.s. Does anyone think it's worth me adding Morriscones to me travels as I have that near me also ?? Don't usually bother as I don't generally go past it en route.
    goodgirl80 wrote: »
    Second shop this month 26.53

Total: 47.04/100:)
  • I forgot to take something out of the freezer for dinner AAAAAH now I will need to buy something LOL. Fish I will get some fish, cant do much damage in the fish shop can I ? DD2 wants to go to the supermarket later too.

I can resist anything except temptation LOL.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Mothership have you got NOTHING in the house? Pasta? Tuna? Tomatoes? Or do you have a microwave - they are great for last minute defrosts. RESIST RESIST RESIST
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    I know its halfway through the month but can I join in? [...]Is this possible do you think??
    Hope its ok to join now. Lyns
    xxxx

Hi Lyns!!! :j
    Of course it is ok! Make sure you post your target in bold and red so when they update the OP they can see you. Also when you want your updated total to be changed. This challenge has helped me A LOT already and I have reduced the monthly shopping to almost half, so I am quite chuffed with that! :D
    cat_smith wrote: »

Anyone got any suggestions for yoghurt? Can you freeze it? I have a bit sitting in the fridge and OH won't go near it.

Not only you can but yogurt makes nice and low kcal icecream!! :T I found this recipe online (not mine):
    RASPBERRY FROZEN YOGURT ICE CREAM
    8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)
    • 2 cups vanilla low-fat yogurt
    • 1/2 cup whole milk
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1 (10-ounce) package frozen raspberries in light syrup, thawed
    • Fresh raspberries (optional)

Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; stir until sugar dissolves.
    Place thawed raspberries in a blender; process until smooth. Strain puree through a fine sieve over a bowl. Discard seeds. Add puree to yogurt mixture.
    Pour raspberry mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze 1 hour or until firm. Garnish with fresh raspberries, if desired.

Also some recipes with different kind of yogurts here: http://www.yogurt-everyday.com/frozen-yogurt-recipes.html
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Mothership wrote: »
    I forgot to take something out of the freezer for dinner AAAAAH now I will need to buy something LOL. Fish I will get some fish, cant do much damage in the fish shop can I ? DD2 wants to go to the supermarket later too.

I can resist anything except temptation LOL.

I had the same problem so I am making pasta bake. I had some chicken fillets in the freezer that will defrost enough with a bit of warm water or a couple of minutes in the microwave with low setting. I will then cut it and fry it for a bit, add onion, vegetables and tomato maybe bacon. Then I will boil the pasta a bit, drain, mix and ev,erything into a casserole dish in the oven. Last 5 minutes of grated cheese and ready! :D I am off to start it!!
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    martafdz Duh. Should have thought of that - frozen yog. Will freeze before I leave and cook when I get back. Many thanks.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello all,

I'm going for £260.00 for this month, came in at about £266.00 last month, so here goes.....

New total £94.61

Home Bargins £6.97
    Co-op £12.95
    Sains £11.69
    Sains £33.70
    Tesco £1.75

New Total 161.67

Month will run until after shopping on 25th February 2011
  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2011 at 6:41PM
    cat_smith wrote: »
    Mothership have you got NOTHING in the house? Pasta? Tuna? Tomatoes? Or do you have a microwave - they are great for last minute defrosts. RESIST RESIST RESIST

The house is FULL of food OH is carnivore, wont eat tuna, or anything, I've spoiled him he expects "A proper dinner!" He wont eat anything thats been defrosted quick.
    I have left him with DGD I think I have one pack of already browned mince, if I fish it out quick i could make a Bolognese. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    He's not asked what's for dinner yet, so I might get away with it he he. Thanks!

I must RESIST!

YAY! the Bolognese got in under the radar LOL!
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business