February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Thanks for that - I will close to an Ic*land Monday or Wednesday.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2011 at 11:49PM
    minnie2 wrote: »
    hi where do i go for recipes? would like to make/create some new dishes as i seem to do the same old thing!! and any suggestions about what to do with mince pork or turkey please let me know! i do savoury mince and chilli con carne and bolognese etc.

Often do this recipie in the summer, we had it in a chinese we used to go to and although this isnt exactly the same it is pretty near. It is also a good one for Slimming w0rld - (or it used to be, not been for ages so may have altered the sins)

PORK YUK SUNG

some iceberg lettuce leaves - left whole
    1lb pork mince (or chicken or turkey)
    1 onion chopped
    galic clove - crushed
    small piece ginger - finely chopped or grated
    1 chopped chilli - optional
    some chopped peppers - optional
    1-2 carrots grated
    1 courgette grated - optional
    some chopped mushrooms - optional
    about a teaspoon of chinese 5 spice
    few drops of soy sauce or fish sauce.

In a frying pan add drop oil and fry the pork, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and peppers if using , when nearly done add the grated carrot, courgette is using and the 5 spice, then add the soy or fish sauce. If it looks like it will be a bit dry add drop of water.
    When all cooked spoon into the lettuce leaves.
    I often dont cook the carrot but add it raw.
    Have also fried some of the thin glass noodles and sprinkled over the top but cant always find them so again this is optional.

We have this with a tomato salad and sometimes potato wedges.

Tonight we have had the following and its pretty good. :D

STIR FRY BEEF & ONIONS WITH BROCCOLI

1-2 onions sliced
    1 garlic clove - crushed
    small piece ginger - grated
    chopped chilli - optional
    drop water
    small broccoli florets
    thin frying steak - cut into strips.

MARINADE-
    1 TBSP CORN FLOUR
    1-2 TBSP SOY SAUCE

Mix the marinade above and put the strips of steak in to it for about 15 mins
    Heat wok or frying pan add drop oil and cook the garlic, ginger and chilli if using for 2-3 mins
    Fry the beef then remove.
    Fry the onions and broccoli and when nearly done add everything back in. Add the water to make a little gravy and if needed add more soy. Serve with rice.

This can be altered to include mushrooms or pak choi if you have any.

We had this for tea tonight and also some battered chicken with lemon sauce. The grand children loved it although they dont like rice so they had a large salad with it instead and a few prawn crackers.

Will update on todays spends sometime tomorrow as receipt in the car and too cold and wet to go out in p.j's for it.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 February 2011 at 12:18AM
    minnie2 wrote: »
    you dont happen to know if there is a thread about allergies on here? i have loads food allergies and general allergies. main food ones are all dairy products and beef - the whole cow im anaphylactic so fairly severe!

not sure what you're lookiing for exactly but I know we have some Gluten Free threads in the Complete Cooking collection; there may be useful things 'Healthy eating' section and several threads on 'dairy free' - including here and here ;)

prophecy_grrl, Hippeechiq, Billie-jo your recipes are all indexed ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • youngmummy wrote: »
    hi all went to mr t this morning and spent £65.37p i have updated my signature. im doing an anual budget so will just update and post as i go.
    if anyone was wondering why im up posting a stupid o'clock when i have a LO too see too all day its because im really strugling to sleep lately :(
    i forgot to say i would of been more but i used our healthy start vouchers for the veg and milk as LO aged 2 no longer has formula. he stopped having it about 6 months ago he only had the toddler formula till then because he refused to drink cows milk.
    ill be going to iceland on monday as i need a few things for the frezzer and they have t'bags on offer for £3 the same ones are nearly £5 in mr t's.
    ive been feeling really down though lately as i already have a feeling i wont meet my targets (see sig) but OH said not to worry too much anythink in savings is better than nothing :o . oh well we're trying our best. any tips id be very greatful x take care. good luck everyone.
    im going to meet my targets, i will meet my targets, i will do it ....... hopefully :money:
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim £10,000
    make £10 a day in 2015 £261/£4000
    emergency fund aim £100/£1000
    £1 a day for xmas 2015 £0/£365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC £0/£120
  • lovecrafting
    lovecrafting Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    no spends yet for me in feb, we have been hibernating so i havent brought anything at all. I will need to go out and get milk today at some point, the cupboards and freezer are full so i really want to use up all possible meals before buying anything in feb.

today were having roast pork, mash, veg maybee some yorkshires, and a chocolate cake after it.

I also have more eggs than i can shake a stick at that need used up. my hens are laying like mad so i will be making lots of egg mayo i think.
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    NSD day for me 4 out of 6 :j not going out not sure if i'm even getting dressed :D

i have just donated to save the children online though - does that count?? it hasnt come out of the food budget

doing a tiny chicken for lunch , i dont think there will be much left after we 4 have devoured it but i'm hoping to squeeze some for sandwiches tomorrow

doing sprouts and parnisps ( left from xmas, blanched and frozen :D) and some mashed spuds

Helen hope you are doing ok hun xx
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    martafdz wrote: »
    I have somewhere a Spanish recipe for a flat pastry pie (it's called empanada) that has onion, mince meat, tomato and peppers inside. If I find the recipe I will post it. You can also make individual ones. Photos below:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOO8L17t6L7xC2zXS9QeMy9KksDlUq5cb8UWUEj6Cz-TL1_hYxKQimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWZxQXBrEIY8EbOlUUeT3HyKmhhAKrzDn_8P21F8wy1gkaVVix

ooh i like the look of the spanish pie , i'd like to try that
  • toddles*
    toddles* Posts: 362 Forumite
    spent £12 in Mr S yesterday, finding it hard to do a Big shop, just buying things when I need it.
    And I try to go as late as possible to get the woopies.
    off to birthday party this afternoon so will be a nice NSD for me today
    hope everyone is having a lovely weekend
    Happy days
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    thanx everyone for the help and ideas!!! much appreciated!!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lots of food on the go here for mum's birthday

So far today have put the pork shoulder onto roast; decorated the coffee and walnut cake, taken out the apple pie from the freezer and a pot of cream to make custard. Also made some pastry and a white sauce to make a chicken pie for tomorrow nights tea. I forgot how easy it was make pastry in my Kenwood Chef instead of buying ready made stuff, must remember that in future! Breadmake about to finish off and leaves only some scones to knock up later on this afternoon for a teatime snack

Also looked up a couple of recipes incase there is some leftover pork and custard (pork curry and pork and apple pie and baked custard)

Should only need some milk this week and maybe a few herbs. All going well so far
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills