January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Mothership I'm really sorry to hear that you and your family are going through such sad times hun :grouphug:
    Ive just had a look on youtube for you and found a decent little video for you which explains some spreadsheet basics! Take a look at the 3 minute mark-its magic! Whether excel or open office its basically the same.
    Same applies to your word processor program. Some documents will open in it-it is worth looking for instructions on youtube-there are a lot of people who put these on who are well qualified-my son being one of them! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L1OVkw2ZQ8&feature=related
    Thank you so much for that Angela :kisses3: I've only had a chance to have a quick look, and then the video froze and I had to get on with some jobs anyway. But I did have a chance to copy what the guy was doing as he was doing it by opening a spreadsheet in 0pen 0ffice, and copying him, and it does appear to pretty much identical to MS 0ffice, so I'm hoping when I have a sensible amount of time to have a proper bash, I may actually be able to follow it!
    Hippeechiq - if you set up a googlemail account it will give you access to wordprocessing, spreadsheets and presentations software on your computer without you needing to install the software. It's called 'cloud computing' but is great if you don't have MS office on your computer. And when you save the documents you save them in your google space rather than on your computer so they are accessible whichever computer you use.

Just set up an account - go to documents and then create and you can choose whatever sort of document you wish.

Edit - just noticed that there are a number of budget emplates
    Thank you also for this Tropicalmoments - that's a great idea, as I could do with some kind of template to use/guide me. When I get a chance, I will have a look at this too. You've both been very helpful :kisses3:

Thought I might share my tea tonight with you, as it's sooo very tasty, though not quite sure how it got it's title.

BARBECUE PORK
    Serves 4

2 Tbs Oil
    1 Large Onion, finely chopped
    450g Lean Minced Pork
    2 Red Peppers, diced
    28g Raisins
    3 Tbs Orange Juice
    2 Tbs Clear Honey
    2 Tbs Soy Sauce
    1 Tbs Tomato Puree
    1 Tbs Vinegar
    1 Tsp Paprika
    ¼ Tsp Cayenne Pepper
    1 Garlic Clove (I use Lazy Garlic)
    Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste

Heat oil. Add Onion, Pork & Red Peppers and cook gently for 5 mins
    Combine Orange Juice, Honey, Soy Sauce, Tomato Puree, Vinegar, Paprika & Cayenne Pepper and add to pan.
    Followed by the Raisins, Garlic & S & P.
    Bring to boil. Lower temperature, cover and simmer for 45 mins or until pork is cooked through and tender.
    Serve on a bed of Wholewheat Spaghetti

On the GC front it's been a NSD here today (brings my total to 7) as I've been tackling the housework , and there's still plenty to do, so I'd best get on!
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Mothership wrote: »
    I love reading this thread and catching up on everyones posts. it keeps me focused on the job in hand and distracts me a little from a great overwhelming sadness that has engulfed my family, I'm having to be strong for them, and hide my feelings.
    When I'm upset about something I can usually work it out in the garden (but its much too cold to do anything yet).

Mothership - sending you some virual hugs.:grouphug:

I just logged back on to update my total with this morning's spends in Sainsbugs - going to try and stay away from the shops until Monday.:o You know you have a problem when you can't wedge anything else into the Freezer (and I've got 2 of them) and I've noticed that we have 3 lots of Ice cream, one has hardly any left in it so will try and use that up tonight and then we will have a little bit of space.

Off now to make a start on the Tomato sauce for tonights Pasta.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Got an email from Co-*p about offers. Chicken breast fillets 540g for £3.75 had to go out so picked up 2 packets...and they were reduced to £2.59, sell by dated 14th so got 6 large fillets for £5.18. 4 to the freezer and 2 for tonight, wrapped in bacon with vegs.
    Also, I like Discovery seasoning mixes, especially their chillli, but couldn't find any where I live now. So emailed them for stockists in the area. They let me know who should have them, but in the meantime they'll send me some in the post. Received 2 packs today, aren't people nice :T
    GC - Oct £36.17/£31
    GC - Sep £35.56/£30:o
    GC - Aug £30.73/£31
    GC - Jul £30.80/£31
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    nickynoo08 wrote: »
    Thanks hun:), i know we are definately doing better than a few years ago. We are spending less on average each month than we did before we had kids. Had a chat with OH last night and thankfully got him back onboard with meal planning so i'm gonna crack on with listing my food and meals today. I'm gonna put it up in the kitchen so i can tick meals off as we have them.

Well since buying the house me and hubby are doing terribly!!!! weve been living as we were before this massive expense and our debts have rocketed!!!!!

im going to have a bath, bath one of the dogs and then while she is drying off in kitchen go through my cupboards and freezer!! see if i can work out how many meals and lunch days are left etc!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • Well that's bu*gered it !! :mad:

Did the big shop yesterday, after emptying cupboards and freezer. The total came to £91.98 :eek: so I not impress at the moment, bl**dy husbands and there razor blades. I can't put all the blame on him, (can't believe how expensive the blades are thou/gone up so much) as the cupboards were bare so a lot of stocking up was needed.

On the plus side, I have just done my meal plans and I have over 30 days. So hopefully Feb will be better and balance out/under.

Just will have to watch the milk and bread shops, stay just milk and bread. :cool:
    MAR GC £92.43 / £100 NSD 16 / 31
    FEB GC £123.29 / £100.00 :( NSD 21 / 28
    JAN GC £133.89 / £100.00 :(NSD 23 / 31
  • Went to S today to take advantage of the baby offers. Did some stocking up-nappies, wipes, baby food etc but am now down to the last £100 for the rest of the month and we have NO fresh fruit and veg left in the house.
    Think I may be going over like you fluffy bunnykins. Bl**dy razor blades!!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hippeechiq, Barbecue Pork is in the index ... nom nom nom :)

Mothership, sending lots of positive vibes your way thsmiley_huggroup.gif
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • ebayqueen_2
    ebayqueen_2 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Hello All
    Went to do my end of week list this morning as I dont intend to be in town tomorrow....so hoping for 3 NSDs this weekend. Did really well stuck to my list bar seeing Soda bread flour half price is Mr Ts so bought 2 at 96p.
    Still using My Supermarket and then printing out list. Mr T seems to be the best value for me at the moment. Spent £29.26 including whoopsies of Free range chicken, chicken legs, 2 mince lean, big pack Pork Loin steaks, would have been £37.25 full price.
    I have all milk, bread fruit etc in for the weekend. I cannot see me having to go near a shop before next tuesday.
    This is incredible for me. Its now 13th and by now I could easily have spent on 2 weeks shopping £250-£270:eek:

I really feel for the first time that I am in control of my food shopping. I find thats were most of my money goes.
    Its my birthday in 2 weeks and am going to treat my car to a mini valet and get my hair washed and blow dried...£30 in total that I would have wasted in P'LAND or Boots!

Still havent bought one toiletry this month so far. Using what we have. Was in a charity shop today and there were some great items for 50p but decided not to waste my money:rotfl:
    Thanks to all who post here. Every comment is of help to all of us.

Take care
    God bless:)

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" :) C. S. Lewis
  • mandco
    mandco Posts: 1,009
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    well only 1/2 way through the month and nearly 3/4 of the way through the budget :eek: really need stop shopping lol

have stocked up on some stuff and am hoping I can still come in on budget but its gonna be hard guess the best way to look at it is whatever I end up spending its still gonna be less than I was spending before so thats a bonus

today was a good day only a small spend of £1.82 total 82p on some rolls & hot cross buns saw lots of other bits on offer that we'd use or like but dont really need and so didnt buy them :A which before i would have done & £1 on 12 kipling fruit pies from poundland didnt really need them but was such a good price & dated till next week

made a yummy fruit cake today theres lots of similar one out there but I use a recipe i've been making since i was a kid its pretty healthly too as its virtually fat free
    1 cup hot black tea/boiling water
    2 cups of dried fruit(you can add cherries/nuts ect at the mixing stage if you want but reduce the amount of dried fruit by 1/2 a cup)
    1 cup sugar(often i use a little less)
    2-3 teaspoons mixed spice (you can use cinnamon/nutmeg)
    put these in a saucepan and bring to the boil for 5 mins then leave to cool for about 20 mins
    2 cups SR flour( I use 1 reg & 1 wholemeal)
    2 eggs
    stir these into the cooled fruit mix(add cherries/nuts if using)
    pour into a greased/lined tin and bake for approx 50 mins in 1lb loaf tin till knife comes out clean (i often make 2 and cook side by side)
    depending on the size/ shape of tin & cup size you use it may take a bit longer

right i'm off to catch up with the rest of this tread coz it grows so fast
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Hi all :) hope you are all well!

A NSD for me today so that was a positive. not sure what to have for dinner tonight. Something small probably.

I got as a birthday present yesterday river cottage everyday so very excited looking through it :)
    I also got a lovely waterstones voucher which was great! I managed to get two books on allotment growing and one on cakes and biscuits!

WHOOP lol

Enjoy the rest of the day!
    S
    x
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts