January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Had a good week making lots of meals from scratch and using up what ive got in. Not buying any junk food and using any extra money earned to pay of credit card debt.Feels good to be taking action to be in control! Grocery challenge spent £66.10/£200 Jan Credit card was£1566.38 Jan 1st paid £300 off 7th jan
  • buddiebabe
    buddiebabe Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Hey

Well didn't take lunch into work but have decided that if i don't take something from the house i have to use my own cash to buy lunch or dinner. Its not allowed to come out the grocery money as its we have plenty of food in the house i just couldn't be bothered to get something ready to take in! Main reason was i looked out the window and realised it had been snowing so decided to walk to work....

Anyway i spent a grand total of £1.15 from the grocery budget today i got pain au chocolats for breakfast 2moro 55p (best before 08.01.11 but will be fine when i put them in the oven in the morning) and my bargain was a pack of lean steak mince for 60p :j display until 08.01.11 use by 09.01.11 so think we'll have spaghetti bolognese for dinner 2moro night... if i can be bothered to cook.

2moro is my only day off and was looking forward to a nice long lie but i have a dilema. Our local farmfoods is shutting to get a refit for 3 weeks and the signs up in the window say that its closing on the 9th and that there will be 50% off. Now my freezer is nearly full to bursting so don't need any freezer things but i was thinking if the bottles of juice and jars and packets are going to be half price it may be worth while going to see if the 50% off applies to this stuff.... only problem is the shop is opening at 7am and closing at 12 so not sure what to do.... kinda want to go incase i miss out on bargains that would save me money in the long run but on the other hand would it be a false economy going???

Decisions decisions.... really need someone to tell me what to do... I HATE MAKING DECISIONS :o

Buddiebabe x
    DEBT OUTSTANDING 23.04.17 £16802.97
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Righty-ho here is another recipe I have SW'd ;)
    Now its not like a standard creamy curry -it has a hot sharpness to it... we love it and I don't even like curry :p

Slow cooker Goan pork curry
    serves 4

0.5 syn per serving on Red/EE
    • 900g pork (fat removed) -I used shoulder -diced
    • 100ml white wine vinegar
    • 2.5 fresh red chilies -deseeded and chopped
    • 1.5tsp turmeric
    • 1tsp yellow mustard seeds
    • 2tsp cumin seeds
    • 1tsp oil
    • 3 large onions - chopped
    • 4 cloves garlic
    • 1" chunk of fresh ginger -grated
    • oxo cube -beef/pork
    1. Mix 2-6 in a non metallic bowl and add the pork
    2. stir to coat and then cover and chill over night or for up to 24hrs
    3. tip into the slow cooker and switch on - cook for about 1hr
    4. heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan
    5. add the onions and once coated, sprinkle with a little salt
    6. add the garlic, ginger and cook until the onions are soft and starting to colour
    7. tip the onions in with the pork and add the crumbled oxo cube -stir to combine and then cook until the pork is tender
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • MRSMCAWBER
    sticky ginger pork marinade
    serves 4
    3 syns per serving
    1. 4tbs Hoising sauce 6
    2. 2tbs soy
    3. 2tbs clear honey 5
    4. 1tsp ground ginger
    5. 1tsp 5 spice powder
    6. zest 1 orange -optional
    Simply mix all the ingredients together and throw in sliced pork/chicken or whatever you fancy and leave to marinade until you are ready to cook
    I stuck mine in first thing in the morning and left it all day. I only did half the mix for the 2 of us and to be honest it could probably have done enough meat for 3-4... so if you want to save syns
  • MRSMCAWBER
    SW stifado
    serves 4
    pre-heat oven 170c/gas3
    1.5 syns on EE/Original

9 syns on green
    • 2 onions -peeled and sliced
    • 3 cloves garlic -crushed
    • 600ml beef stock
    • 450g lean stewing steak-diced
    • 1tbs tomato puree
    • 180ml red wine
    • 2tbs red wine vinegar
    • 2 thyme sprigs (I used 1tsp dried)
    • 1 rosemary sprig (I used 1/2stp dried)
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1/2tsp cumin seeds
    • 1/2tsp cloves
      tie these 3 into a piece of muslin
    • 1 cinnamon stick
    • 400g pickling onions -peeled and blanched
    • juice 1/2 lemon -I missed this out
    • seasoning
    1. put sliced onions, garlic and half stock in a large flameproof casserole - cover and bring to the boil for 5-10 mins -reduce the heat and simmer uncovered 20-30 mins until the onions are golden
    2. add steak and brown.
    3. add puree, red wine, vinegar, herbs and remaining stock
    4. drop in the muslin parcel
    5. cover and cook in the oven for 1 hr then add pickling onions then cook for a further 1-1.5hrs until steak is tender
    6. remove herbs and spice bag
    7. add seasoning and lemon juice
    It was gorgeous... I bubbled it to death on top of the stove just before serving to reduce the liquid right down,,,,, and like many things its much nice made the day before you want it and left to stand
    I will post some more tomorrow -I just don't want to flood the thread..
  • Jolaaled wrote: »
    Quick up date now that the marmalade has cooled a bit:

Now not nearly so runny..in fact, i think it should be ok after a short spell in fridge!

PHEW.I am relieved at the Seville Oranges were not cheap (£2.00 per kilo). Not used them before and they are strange looking fruit on the inside...lots of pips, a thick skin, but they do smell divine!..and the marmalade is really fab.

Glad it worked, I took one of my jars to a friend who made us dinner tonight (we take it in turns to cook dinner each saturday night), and mine was set perfect they had it on condition they give me glass jars for future supplies.
  • spent - £5 today on milk, bread, and ham slices willl update sig now .... ive still got too do my main shop yet have a feeling i will go over by £200 a mth spend but will spend less in feb so it should all work out ok x
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim £10,000
    make £10 a day in 2015 £261/£4000
    emergency fund aim £100/£1000
    £1 a day for xmas 2015 £0/£365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC £0/£120
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    MrsMc - your SW recipes are now in the index :T I might reorganise the list for next month so all the SW recipes are together.

First post was full up so I've had to split some of the main meals recipes off into the second post ;)

I also added a recipe for Palmiers which flowertotmum posted on the Its tough thread ;)

well done moneysavingnovice on paying off the credit card :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • janie-h
    janie-h Posts: 78 Forumite
    Hi all :wave:

Thanks to everyone who runs and contributes to this thread - it's great to hear how you all are doing. I particularly love all the recipes (and special thanks to MrsM for the SW ones).

Haven't been on the thread for 2 days - and it has taken me AGES to catch up (I don't like to miss anything!).

Anyway, quick update - spent £17.87 in MrT's tonight. Will update sig.
  • Pernicious
    Pernicious Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    pipkin71 wrote: »
    Good luck with it, pernicious.

Remember though, if you can't stick to it, don't feel bad, it's just one of those things.

You can then alter February's budget to reflect what you've spent, or see where you can cut down from January's shopping :)

Thank you :T Now there's a good idea!

I must say I do like how friendly & fast moving this thread is, so many good recipes I will need to try out as well!
    :idea:Debt at July 2012: £12,862.57 :eek:
    :dance:Current Debt: £0 :j
    100% paid off!
    :think: Savings Goal for November 2016: £5000 :cool:
    :D Current Savings: £1176.24 _party_
    23.52% Saved!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income