IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Honest John - Telegraph paper

Options

Comments

• Hadeon
    Hadeon Posts: 367 Forumite
    Options
    **unless ordered to so so by the court the keeper does not have to disclose who was driving.

I'm very intrigued by the above comment taken from LucyBC's post on the HJ forum (the bold emphasis is mine & I presume should read 'unless ordered to do so by the court' ).
    I question under what practical circumstances & stage in legal proceedings exactly can a small claims court judge order a RK to disclose who was driving their vehicle in a PPC claim?

(I believe there is actually a legal precedent for a civil court to do this, but only in extemely serious cases involving death or serious injury etc).

The statement is in my humble opinion misleading & incorrect.
    The small claims court is not there to act as a PPC evidence gathering tool.
  • AlexisV
    AlexisV Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    Options
    Never heard it happening. Doesn't even happens in Magistrate's Court - Capita (ie. TV Licencing) can't obtain names from the court for example.

In reality, not knowing if you're suing the right person can be deemed as abuse of process. Court is not there to act as an evidence gathering exercise.

A claim by OPC was dismissed last week because they had no concrete proof the keeper was the driver. The judge wasn't going to order them to say.
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    Just got this message from someone who followed legal advice from someone, now that legal advice follows along the same lines as Honest John, now this is the reason not to follow Honest John's advice.

Posted with permission of the person who sent me a PM

===

Hi Taffy056,

Hope you dont mind me contacting you out of the blue.
    I parked in a disabled bay of which i didnt think was in use anymore due to how poorly the markings were on the road in a retail park.
    I received a Parking Charge Notice on my windscreen. I found the MSE website and ignored as advised.
    Shortly afterwards I received a letter in the post from UKCPS saying that my charge had now gone from £60 to £100 and if not paid they may start court proceedings.
    For the sake of it I decided to take legal advice who advised me to write a letter of reply stating that I did not think it was a disabled bay anymore and that due to the lack of signage near where i parked i could not have entered into any form of contract. They advised to offer a 'full and final' settlement of £10 to cover administration costs. This i did using a template letter from the website.
    I received an email from UKCPS saying that as I had offered £10 i had accepted i had entered a contract and accepted that i parked in a disabled parking bay.
    they have however offered to reduce the fee back to £60 for 5 days only and that i can spread the cost out over a few weeks as i have recently become unemployed.
    i know you must get quite a few messages like mine but if you could please offer me your opinion as to what you think i should do i would be extremely grateful.
    my main concern is that if i ignore completely from now on and get taken to court the judge will take a dim view of my case as UKCPS have reverted back to the lower amount.
    Do UKCPS do court and what do judges think when defendants say the blue badge scheme does not apply to private carparks?

Thanks.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds like they found Lucy Bonham-Carter's "legal advise" website?!
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,583 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Taffy056 post is a perfect example of why you should never offer anything - it's an opportunity for the PPC to see it as an immediate acceptance of terms and condition and start the paper trail again - whilst also having £10 of your cash!
  • murdomaguire
    murdomaguire Posts: 89 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2010 at 2:40PM
    Options
    The thread on Honest John -- unlike this thread which is a seeming rant -- is a cogent and serious examination of the legal issues involved in private parking cases.

And on it Lucy Bonham Carter seems to have provided a sensible and rational explanation of the law regarding private parking - as to what can happen, what is likely to happen - and what cannot happen.

There is even a solution offered as to what has otherwise seemed an intractable problem.

No one here seems to want to sensibly discuss private parking issues. Very few seem to have any real legal knowledge other than that they have copied down from elsewhere -- but everyone seems to have an opinion.

That thread at Honest John under "legal matters" was started by anewman who seems to be the cheerleader of the rant here.

If anyone here has any serious challenge to Honest John's and Lucy's position and explanation perhaps they should post it there rather than chuntering away here amongst themselves.

So this does not turn into a boring and fruitless confrontation, if people wish to comment can people please restrict themselves to quoting the actual sentences, sections or paragraphs which actually appear in Lucy's posts and which they believe to be factually incorrect.
  • murdomaguire
    murdomaguire Posts: 89 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2010 at 2:56PM
    Options
    **unless ordered to so so by the court the keeper does not have to disclose who was driving.

I'm very intrigued by the above comment taken from LucyBC's post on the HJ forum (the bold emphasis is mine & I presume should read 'unless ordered to do so by the court' ).
    I question under what practical circumstances & stage in legal proceedings exactly can a small claims court judge order a RK to disclose who was driving their vehicle in a PPC claim?

(I believe there is actually a legal precedent for a civil court to do this, but only in extemely serious cases involving death or serious injury etc).

The statement is in my humble opinion misleading & incorrect.
    The small claims court is not there to act as a PPC evidence gathering tool.

It's an application for a Norwich Pharmacal Order.

As Lucy said in the thread...:
    "I have seen a number of cases where private parking companies are threatening (in letters at least) to apply to the courts for a "Norwich Pharmacal Order" which - if granted - would provide a court order to compel the keeper to reveal who was driving.

"A Norwich Pharmacal Order would normally require the applicant to show that revealing the information was in the public interest.

"Furthermore the substantial costs of a Norwich Pharmacal Order must be paid by the applicant (ie the parking company) and while they are recoverable if granted the application for costs is subject to a further hearing.

"So any mention of a Norwich Pharmacal in a parking case is likely to be another empty threat from the parking company's representatives."

So what's your problem with that?
  • backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for joining Murdo. Welcome.

Your rant about rants is quite illuminating.At least, until your second post where I can't tell who quoted what or exactly what you are asking?

I think it's saying that this so called Pharmacal Order is not a realistic prospect for discovery of actual drivers. So as you say nothing wrong with that.

The thread started because of the very risky assertion (IMHO) by 'Honest John' that a partial payment would be a good strategy. I believe from experience that any sort of communication or appeal is absolutely fruitless never mind showing them weakness,by a partial payment.

LBC's overall line in her latter postings is to ignore any correspondence whatsoever.This doesn't in any way back up the original theme of HJ's partial payment. She has talked about these detailed legal nuances and overall I think it is a balanced input,(apart from the odd spat with MSE'rs).

The difficulty for the passionate MSErs (which I have recently joined) is that HJ has backed himself into a corner and even though he has hardly any support for his strategy, even from his advisor,he won't retract.Putting advice into the public domain which is without foundation and contradictory to the thrust of case law and legal advice including LBC seems a tad stupid.:eek:

It's not clear to me where you are going with your postings, but I can tell you for one,that trying to censor or direct other people's contributions,thoughts and passion won't rub.

Please join in.:D
  • oldone_2
    oldone_2 Posts: 974 Forumite
    Options
    I don't rant, I just deal in facts, preferably gained from personal experience.
    FACT. If you totally ignore PPC Correspondence the chances of it going any further are very small.
    FACT. If you make a small part payment you are admitting liability, and armed with this admission, a PPC would seriously consider the court route in preference to someone (who could possibly be legal expert) who totally ignores all letters.
  • murdomaguire
    Options
    So name one fact posted by Lucy Bonham Carter on the Honest John website regarding parking on this thread which you regard as inaccurate.

I am inviting you to put up or shut up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport