October 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• I'm in again! Can I go for £85 again please?

Only went over my September budget by a few pence but this month will be hard as I've had to stock up on furbaby food (their food comes under my grocery budget).

Mr S has delivered £58.94 worth of stuff this morning, so most of that is taken up already.. :eek:
    Man this is gonna take some willpower to be creative and not go to the supermarket...
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    OK, it's Day 2 of October, and I haven't spent anything yet, although I did go over in September so I can't really get too cocky!

Sold lots of eggs this week (hooray) which all helps, plus DD has got herself a job which will help with horsy costs. And I'm off work next week. Double hooray!

Starting October in a positive way, therefore. Cupboards and freezers are groaning.

Repeat every day: what's for supper tomorrow? Have I got it out of the freezer yet????:D That way, we might be ok this month... ;)
  • M%S - £9.98
    Int'l Market £5.99 (:o parmesan)
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Here you go CW18 -I have just copied it over so i have left the syns etc on in case any SW-ers want to try them..... Not sure how they will be in cals -but no doubt you will figure it out with one of you spreadsheets/programmes ;)
    Some one else has just made them for lunch and let me know that they were a hit with her and her boyfriend :T-so I hope you like them.... they are soooo yummy cold :D

cheese n onion fryits

makes 4
    1. 400g peeled potato
    2. 1 large onion -finely chopped
    3. 4 spring onions -chopped
    4. 1 heaped teaspoon English mustard
    5. 84g cathederal city lighter (2xA)
    6. salt n pepper
    7. 2 laughing cow light (3)
    8. 1 egg
    9. 28g dried breadcrumbs (5)
    • boil the potatoes, drain and allow to dry off -then mash
    • zap the onions/spring onions in the microwave until soft
    • beat the onions, mustard, seasoning and grated cheese into the potato and leave in the fridge to chill until firm
    • divide into 4
    • shape into rounds -then poke a hole in the centre and fill with 1/2 a laughing cow light
    • cover over with the mash and re-shape into flat rounds
    • chill in the fridge
    • dip each one into egg and then the bread crumbs and then chill until needed
    • then just drop on a non stick sheet (I use a silicone liner) and then bake at about 190 until golden -(I didn't flip them just in case they collapsed)
    so for 2 cakes you are looking at 1heA and 4 syns on EE/Green ...and if you wanted to do it on red then you could use 2 x 227g jacket and count half the mix(2 cakes) as your heB -but you would have to steam or bake them first, scoop out the middles to mash (and eat your skin for it to be a heB wink.gif)
    I was going to use another heA each and put mozarella in but I thought about it and as mozarella doesn't have much flavour I changed my mind (and saved an A to boot tongue.gif)
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,613
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Here you go CW18 -I have just copied it over so i have left the syns etc on in case any SW-ers want to try them..... Not sure how they will be in cals -but no doubt you will figure it out with one of you spreadsheets/programmes ;)
    Many thanks for the recipe :)

The site I'm using to count my calories allows us to create recipes and does the hard work for us :)

According to that these work out 223 cals each (not bad at all). Nutritional breakdown is 47% Carbs, 23.2% Protein and 29.7% Fat - so not bad for that either (daily target is 55% Carbs, 15% Protein and 30% Fat) especially as adding fruit and veg through the day bumbs carbs and drops the other two :)
    Cheryl
  • MrsRogers
    MrsRogers Posts: 631
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Well my Oct budget runs 22nd Sept - 22nd Oct we are going to count it as a 5 week month (5 Friday shops). 2 down and spent over £150 so got to be really good on the next 3 which are going to have to be less then£49 :eek:

Only saving grace is I need ZERO cleaning stuff / cat food or toiletries so all on for food.

Only thing i am struggling with is I started weight watchers 4 weeks ago and no healthy stuff is ever of offer GGGRR :eek: Also healthy choices all seem to be that much more expensive! :mad:

Any tips would be welcome:A
    Goal - We want to be mortgages free :j

I Quit Smoking March 2010 :T
  • Have spent £14.73 between Netto and Co op on fresh top up food and one of the co op chickens thats on offer. they have some good offers at the minute.

£2 in farmfoods on bread and milk, more fresh stuff next week but no meal items!
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • jen6200
    jen6200 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Hi I would like to join in with this challenge please.
    I have no idea what I would normally spend but am starting with £300 for October (1st to 31st) this is for all food / cleaning stuff / toiletries / pet stuff for 2 adults 2 children 1 dog 2 cats 2 guinea pigs and 2 goldfish!!

Hopefully with a bit of careful planning I can reduce this amount quite a bit over the next few months.:D

Thanks
    September £10 a day challenge - £207.39 / £300
    October £10 a day challenge - £170.67 / £310
    November £10 a day challenge - £0 / £300

November GC - £9.62 / £350
  • jackie_w
    jackie_w Posts: 1,077
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello everyone, hope you are all well.

Today I went shopping and have spent £63.19 between, Mo**isons, A*da, S/drug & L*dl and F/F.

Made the mistake of going to Mo**isons first. I never go there, but, I had to meet my mum and sister. They were advertising tinned tomatoes at buy 1, get 2 free for 98p, so I thought that was a good bargin until I went into Asda and they were advertsing 4 for £1 (cant remember the make). Also, they had their cartons of juice for 2 for £1 (you get 3 in a pack), I buy these for kids park lunches, so, i got 4 packs altogether then went into F/F where they were selling 27 for £4.98.

In F/f i got tortilla wraps 2 for £1, but L*Dl were selling they for about 40p.

Was really annoyed at myself, and seriously considered going back to the shops to ask for a refund for the things I could have got cheaper, but, thought the cost in petrol back would outweigh the cos I would save IYSWIM.

Anyway, in my shop today, I have enough crisps and yogurts to last for approx 2 weeks, I got 2 boxes of 750g of cornflakes which should last me for quite a while, and I also got a tin of sweets for Christmas.

I shouldnt need to buy anything else during the week, except bread, but, Im seriously thinking about just making my own again, and telling the kids to like it or lump it.
    Hopefully next week, will only need to buy fruit, cold meat etc.

Jintyb and brodie1, thank you so much for the tips on gravy in the slow cooker, will try that. Browning the meat is something I never do, but will try this from now on, and ive never added potatoes to the slow cooker before.

Seductivesmile and Mrs M , those meal plans/meals sound delicious.

My boss has said there might be a chance of increasing my hours, and he is going to speak to me next week about it woohoo, so fingers crossed.
  • moozie_2
    moozie_2 Posts: 3,063
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'd love to be part of it this month please :) We have been relaxing our budget on the food over the last few months so this will help bring things back in line, hopefully :)

So, will say £200 and aim to have change at the end of the month ;) That's for us two and the two adult kids that have forgotten they have moved out.....
    Leason learnt :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport