IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Wine sales discussion
Views: 26,831
Old 24-08-2010, 6:45 PM   #1
Former MSE Lee
Former Editorial Assistant
MoneySaving Stalwart

For a full list of current wine sales see the

Regularly Updated:

If you've spotted or heard of more... please tells us with as much details as possible, including whether it was emailed to you or its a deal available to all. We'll then check out whether its legit for others and if it is put it all in the one page.

... just click reply to report new top spots

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 25-08-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Former MSE Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
# 2
thatguy1
Old 25-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Sainsbury's have 1/3rd of on selected reds, roses and whites in their wine festival until 16th September. Should be instore & online, but is posted on the 'instore offers' section of the website. http://www2.sainsburys.co.uk/instore...ore-offers.htm

Last edited by thatguy1; 25-08-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 3
jonfromessex
Old 25-08-2010, 9:41 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Sainsburys wine deals PLUS an extra 5% off

Sainsburys give as a standard 5% off when you buy 6 bottles or more. Add this to some cracking deals (see below) and it all adds up to some excellent value for money:

Vina Miapo Cabernet Sauvignon 3.99 (3.79 when buying 6 or more of any wine) was 7.99 and very nice indeed
Casilero Del Diablo Cab Sav 4.65 (4.42) was 6.99 very good too
Primitivo Taste the Difference 2 for 10 (2 for 9.50) instead of 6.49 each (lovely)
Carta Roja Gran Reserva 5.99 (5.75) was 11.99 (very good)
Piccini Chianti Reserva 5.49 (5.22) was 10.99 (haven't tried it yet)
Vina Maipo Rose 3.99 (3.79) was 7.99 (very drinkable)

Obviously wine is quite subjective but I think all the above represent excellent value for money (if you want good wine at low prices) and good savings and better value than M&S and Tesco
# 4
raddy59
Old 25-08-2010, 10:41 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Bearing in mind that on the Tesco 50% offers it is putting the full price prices quoted as almost the same price as famous named champagnes. On the M&S offer Oudinot demi sec at 17 is still way over what you would were paying full price 18 months ago. And bear in mind that since it's biggest market (the UK) collapsed Champagne region is sitting on millions of bottles of unsold stuff, and more coming along every harvest

Don't be suckered - these are not great offers

PS
Waitrose has Ma rquess de Monistrol cava (lovely ) at 8.99 a bottle - it is high compared to last years price, but stillcheaper than the Tesco offer
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raddy59 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
sixty
Old 01-09-2010, 9:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sainsburys...champagne 13.99 a bottle. (1st September today.)

Last edited by sixty; 01-09-2010 at 9:09 PM. Reason: grammar
# 6
N9eav
Old 07-09-2010, 6:25 AM

ASDA have loads of decent wine on offer at 3 a bottle. Why mess with the delivery companies?
NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
# 7
woodywatcher
Old 22-09-2010, 9:48 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Virgin have great wines although I've never heard of this offer before. Virgin normally charge for delivery but this offer has free delivery. Beats carrying bottles home from the supermarket!
# 8
suiko
Old 22-09-2010, 2:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Usual story of supermarkets flogging industrial rubbish at half price, when it's real value is actually only more or less the discounted one. As a wine lover, I wouldn't touch any of 'em.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suiko For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
evomedia
Old 23-09-2010, 11:46 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Some decent deals at Laithwaites Wine too

I stumbled across a few offers on Laithwaites Wine

Save 30 on 6 bottles of champagne, available to all from the homepage offer link marked 'lovely bubbly'

Also some decent offers on their 'offers and deals' page found under buy wine navigation

Plus a half price deal on a case of 12 (79.99 reduced to only 39.99) with a free 30 corkscrew, if you click on the "discover a world of better wine" promo on homepage that says "as seen on TV", this ones a wine club deal so you'll be signing up, but you can always cancel without a problem...

Laithwaites always offer great service and their wine is nothing like the supermarket mega brands, decent drinking to be had

Last edited by evomedia; 23-09-2010 at 12:15 PM.
# 10
N9eav
Old 24-09-2010, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomedia View Post
I stumbled across a few offers on Laithwaites Wine
with a free 30 corkscrew
Has anyone made the corkscrew last more than a few months until is breaks? I have had 2 and they all break
NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
# 11
suiko
Old 24-09-2010, 8:46 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Laithwaites are a hugely succesful hype machine. Through a deluge of advertising, they are remarkably adept at making their many customers believe they are getting unique, small-production wines from "the vintage of the century", when the actual wines are for the most part poor quality and picked up for a song. Still, you have to take your hat off to them for the success of it all.
The Following User Says Thank You to suiko For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Voyager2002
Old 24-09-2010, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiko View Post
Laithwaites are a hugely succesful hype machine. Through a deluge of advertising, they are remarkably adept at making their many customers believe they are getting unique, small-production wines from "the vintage of the century", when the actual wines are for the most part poor quality and picked up for a song. Still, you have to take your hat off to them for the success of it all.
And your evidence?

All I can say is that I almost always enjoy the wine I buy from Laithwaites, and I am generally a discriminating drinker.
# 13
evomedia
Old 24-09-2010, 11:41 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiko
Quote:
And your evidence?

All I can say is that I almost always enjoy the wine I buy from Laithwaites, and I am generally a discriminating drinker.
I'd also question you on that suiko, I've had so many great wines from Laithwaites, there are plenty on there that are very highly rated by robert parker and I trust his ratings more than a random comment on here. They just won the large independent retailer of the year award for their wine selection so simply can't be that bad, and at least have honest customer reviews.

Obviously not every wine is to everyone's taste but there is plenty of wine that I far prefer to anything I've found down the supermarket. Personally I particularly like the domaine dampt vieilles vignes, a lovely petit chablis.

Just seems you like buying wines on offer suiko that are heavily discounted but actually want fine wine from the top vintages Laithwaites sell Cristal at 130 a bottle maybe thats the one for you...or maybe cloudy bay, surely you can't dispute thats a real classic. But this is hardly the place to discuss for who sells the best fine wine, it was just a post on decent discounts on some nice wine, personal problems you seem to have with retailers is a little overkill for a page designed to just say what wine offers are out there.

If you don't like supermarkets, you dont like Laithwaites that just won an award for its wine range (including cloudy bay, Louis Roederer, krug, fine wines etc)...what do you suggest people do? drive to the south of france and spend 6 months searching for a producer you do like? Its hardly helpful to just complain about every offer that gets posted here

Last edited by evomedia; 24-09-2010 at 12:05 PM.
# 14
suiko
Old 24-09-2010, 11:53 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I almost never buy wine at supermarkets, with the exception of Waitrose. I buy most of my wine at independent wine merchants, many of them over the Internet. I used to buy from Laithwaites too, but got bored of the wines. I know they have a lot of loyal customers - I guess what I'm saying is that the overall quality is not IMO much higher than the supermarkets, and that I'd recommend trying stuff from good independent merchants. The difference can be very clear.

Best thing anyone genuinely interested in wine can do, IMO, is to join The Wine Society.

I should point out that I tend to disagree with Mr Parker about wine, as I dislike international-styled, high-alcohol wines and value regional style and typicity. I do buy plenty of bin-ended stock and wines at reduced prices, but certainly have a deep mistrust for the supermarkets' spurious pricing of supposedly grand 10 or 12 wines at a fiver - in 99% of cases they're only worth a fiver anyway, if that!

Last edited by suiko; 24-09-2010 at 2:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to suiko For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
N9eav
Old 25-09-2010, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomedia View Post

If you don't like supermarkets, you dont like Laithwaites that just won an award for its wine range (including cloudy bay, Louis Roederer, krug, fine wines etc)...what do you suggest people do? drive to the south of france and spend 6 months searching for a producer you do like? Its hardly helpful to just complain about every offer that gets posted here
Does it really matter what's on the label or how much it costs? At the end of the day if you like it buy it and drink it! As in any walk of life the cost range is immense and you just have to find the best you can afford, but most importantly what you like.
The Following User Says Thank You to N9eav For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
10_66
Old 26-09-2010, 8:40 AM

Default Tesco - 500 clubcard points for wine?

I posted this on the Tesco Clubcard thread, but got no response, just wondered if anyone here might know the answer, thanks.

I ordered some wine from Tesco to take advantage of the 50% off and the 500 clubcard points (using the code XXDLGV on checkout - given in Martin's weekly email), however, my receipt only shows 90 points having been earned. Does anyone know if the points get added at a later date (like those added if you open one of their savings accounts when the offer's on), or should it have appeared at the time of placing the order?
# 17
MoneySaver100
Old 26-09-2010, 9:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Gondola Wine deal is better (than existing 10 off 50 spend already posted) going via QUIDO you get 8% back anyway but in addition there are 2 vouchers valid up to 30 Sept.

20 off 70 spend or 100 off 400 spend - must register with QUIDO for these.
# 18
surf1
Old 27-09-2010, 9:33 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation 500 extra points not honoured by tesco

I ordered the two cases of half price wine from tescos and got free delivery but the code did not work for the 500 extra points and when I phoned them they said you have to receive the code personally to use it. Any more info on this. As obviously by then I had ordered and paid for the wine! thanks
# 19
sandybabes03
Old 29-09-2010, 9:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default 25% off

For 1 week only starting 29th Sept you can get 25% off wine if you buy 6 or more bottles in one transaction.
Thats 20% more than normal and it is valid on wines already discounted.
Start stocking up now
# 20
susank
Old 29-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I ordered some with some shopping as I had a 10 off voucher come in on my e mail also and it says the discount is applied at point of delivery so I have paid for it so far without the discount - is this correct guys?
Saving in my terramundi pot 2, 1 and 50p just for me!