June 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi....im going well this morning already done x2 lots of washing and put them on the line....thought about tea and got some chicken out for making into a chicken pie tomorrow...might need to pop to the shops towards the weekend but ill see how it goes

i am trying to use up the contents of the freezer...its a hard job to think of ways to use up bits and bobs that u perhaps wouldnt think to have together....going to the shops and buying stuff seems a much easier option

have a nice day
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • AnnieG
    AnnieG Posts: 877
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    i am trying to use up the contents of the freezer...its a hard job to think of ways to use up bits and bobs that u perhaps wouldnt think to have together....going to the shops and buying stuff seems a much easier option

I'm trying to empty my freezer too, so I can defrost it and have a big cook-up to fill it up again, and like you am having to consider some strange combinations... salad and potato croquettes anyone?
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
  • Morning All! :j

Had a NSD yesterday and am aiming for one today:T Have to say the fridge is looking a bit Mother Hubbard tho....:eek: Will have to at least get fruit and veg tomorrow I think.

Hippeechiq- good for you with the wine- I save to go to the hairdressers as my treat as I feel so relaxed when I come home- we all need to take care of ourselves or it will all fall apart!

Recovering Spendaholic- I agree re their basics range- i am always extolling the virtues of it all! Much better than the usual basics anywhere else

Have a good day everyone- mine is getting better so far from a rather low start- the sun always helps and the thought of a treasure hunt in Poundland at lunchios has perked me up! :o
    June Budget= £151.41/£150:cool:
    10 NSDs (with teenagers :eek:!!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!:A
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,666
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    AnnieG wrote: »
    I'm trying to empty my freezer too, so I can defrost it and have a big cook-up to fill it up again, and like you am having to consider some strange combinations... salad and potato croquettes anyone?

But I don't think that's strange......:o

I'm trying to empty mine a bit, too - but keep getting frustrated by doing things like taking a pack of mince out and turning it into something larger that needs to go back in the freezer - the only downside of batch cooking!!:rotfl::rotfl:
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    i can relate to taking one out of the freezer and putting 3 back in...i quite like potato crocs with salad.....im thinking of using noodles with a chicken and mushroom pie to get rid of them...ill let u know how they go together
    onwards and upwards
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Afternoon all

Here you go Sunnyday -just copied it over
    coq au vin
    serves 4
    EE + Original 1.5syns
    green 15 syns
    • low cal cooking spray -I don't use it
    • 12 lean bacon rashers-cut into bite size pieces -I use 1 per portion, smoked is yummy
    • 12 baby onions, peeled and left whole
    • 4 cloves garlic -crushed
    • 400g mushrooms -I use frozen ones, defrosted and squeezed out
    • 2 sticks celery -cut into 3/4" pieces
    • 2 carrots -peeled and cut into 3/4" dice
    • 1 sprig thyme -I used 1tsp dried
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 180ml red wine (burgundy/bordeaux)
    • 800ml chicken stock
    • 2tbs balsamic vinegar
    • 12 skinless chicken thighs or drumsticks -I use 4 breasts
    • seasoning
    1. place a heavy based flameproof casserole dish over a medium heat
    2. spray with oil (if using) add the bacon and onions -stirfry until just browned
    3. add garlic, mushrooms, celery and carrots
    4. turn up teh heat to high add the thyme, bay leaf, red wine, stock and vinegar
    5. add the chicken and bring the mixture to the boil, then lower the temp and simmer gently for about 25 mins until chicken is tender and cooked through
    6. for a thicker sauce, remove the chicken and keep warm. Cook the sauce over high to reduce -return chicken to the pan and heat.
    Now I do mine a wee bit different ... I make the sauce and reduce it down quite a bit and then ad the chicken so it doesn't get over cooked;)
    The sauce is stunning on its own and would make a lovely sauce for pasta or over steaks etc....

* now I don't know if the LIDL in the uk sell the same wines as the one out here -but just in case...we have a great wine for the dish...
    It is Spanish the lable says Vino Tinto 2009 Lieblich and it has 2 little gold bulls heads on it.... now we only pay €1.39 and it is lovely -so it might be worth seeing if they have it....

This has become my fave recipe so far and not just SW ones ...Im an addict :D hope you like it

Well folks I need to add another €35 adding to my spends -although that did include 40 loo rolls and 12lt of fabric softtener :o-well they were on offer ;)

Dinner here tonight is meatballs with chilli vegetable sauce -I concocted these the other day and it was lovely -so I have dragged the other half out of the freezer :T-Im going to have mine with jacket potato and veg...and put hubbies on pasta, so a nice quick dinner for us tonight ...

We are planning on nipping to the NAAFI tomorrow so heck knows what I might spend in there :rotfl:

Im another one who gets to play "jenga" trying to get things in the fridges n freezers :p...its amazing how many times I will try and re-jig things to get that "1 last item in" :eek:

Hope everyone is well and having a good week
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • guccigoo
    guccigoo Posts: 483 Forumite
    went to mr t this morning to do my weekly shop, came to £59.45 :eek: even though i said i wouldnt need a lot :mad: on the plus side i bought some frozen cod fillets to make my own fish fingers and frozen chicken fillets to make goujons never made them before so quite excited :) i also bought a 5kg bag of spuds to make wedges, roast pots, chips for the freezer just got to find room now in the freezer :rotfl:Still got to get t-bags, sugar and cappucino's but these are cheaper in i**land so will pop there tomorrow. Least ive saved on the delivery charge by not doing it online this week :j have a good day all.
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    New month new spend! £95.00 spend in Asda but got all the month's meat, all free range or organic and all the dry goods. Shouldn't need much fresh veg or fruit..... the garden is in full swing! Just need the cats stuff and some drinks for the summer oh and some cleaning stuff from Lidl.

Have a good day!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • ASC
    ASC Posts: 153
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello everyone, gorgeous sunny day here so feeling good! Well, I don’t want to count my chickens, but things seem to be on track so far… I did a smaller than usual shop last weekend which included some expensive goodies for a picnic – total was just over £30. The best thing though is that I got paid on Tuesday which would normally have me running to Mr T to stock up regardless, but I haven’t been yet (I know it’s only two days but believe me, that’s good!) I have, however, finally put in an order to App F00d (another £30ish). I’ve filled a mythical basket many times before, but there’s so much stuff on there at the moment that we will eat it seemed rude not to!

I will have to get some milk today but I shall only take £1 so I can’t get tempted. We’ve got plenty of food around, I just need some imagination to make meals out of it. DH is out a lot visiting a sick relative at the moment so I’m using store cupboard stuff to feed me and the children (he’s the fussy one!) I made Weezls vegan calzone last night (although I did add some chopped bacon that needed using up) and used some salad leaves from the windowsill. Very yummy, very cheap and no shopping required!

Sorry for the long post people. Shall update sig now.

A x
  • Lindy_-_Loo
    Lindy_-_Loo Posts: 802
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    hey everyone, bought crisps, choc bars, milk and fruit juice. £8 between farmfoods, b and m and netto.
    going back to a weekly on line shop next week as feel like bought lots of little bits over the past two weeks.

take care xx
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family