red lentils

Comments

• jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    ok forgive me if i've asked this before or if there is a similar post as i can't find it.

but i have stacks of red lentils, green lentils, yellow spilt peas. now i usually add them to stews etc. and i have a fab recipe for a spilt pea and carrot loaf which is yum. but i fancy something different.

i am thinking maybe something with rice or potatos but i don't know what. i have most herbs and spices etc in cupboard. hubby not keen on lentils or pulses so i need to make something to impress him.

all ideas welcomed.
  • carriebradshaw
    carriebradshaw Posts: 1,387
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I love this recipe it's very moreish :) I sometimes use a mixture of split peas and lentils instead of just lentils,tastes just as good to me :j

Cheese & Lentil Loaf

150g cheese, grated (I use cheddar or red leicester) up to you to use what you like really though
    225g red lentils,rinsed well and cooked
    100g porridge oats or breadcrumbs
    100g mushrooms, finely chopped
    100g mixed peppers, finely chopped
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, grated
    2 large carrots, or parsnips or 1 of each grated,
    1 beaten egg
    a good handful of chopped herbs I use mainly thyme & a little bit of rosemary(not too much Rosemary it can taste soapy) from my garden,but have also used mint and parsley as I grow those as well.You would use less if using dried herbs as they are stronger so I’m told

salt & pepper to your taste

Pre-heat oven to 180c & line your loaf tin with greasproof paper then grease the paper or it will stick
    Cook lentils in 500ml water until soft and have absorbed most of the water.
    In another pan with a small amount of oil,gently soften onions & peppers,add garlic,mushrooms & grated carrots and cook for a few more mins then tip it all into a large bowl
    Add the lentils, cheese,oats & herbs & mix well, season with salt and pepper,and stir in the beaten egg.
    Pour into lined 2lb loaf tin bake for 30-40 mins, until top is golden.
    Remove from oven and place a plate over the top,then a heavy weight or some tins on top of that to press for about 15mins –half an hour.This will make it easier/firmer to turn out and slice up.

Then turn out onto a plate, peel off the paper and slice up how you want it and eat.

I love this served hot with some veggies or cold with salad, would be nice with some tattie wedges or chips too I should imagine.
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    that sounds gorgeous. think my hubby might go for that. would it also slice up cold for lunch boxes ? to have with quiche and salad type light lunches ?
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I made a lovely curried lentil lasagne a few weeks back. It was so nice. I'm off to bed now and can't be !!!!!d to go downstairs and grab my recipe book :D but if you want the recipe I'll type it out in the morning.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• mi_jardin
    mi_jardin Posts: 584 Forumite
    Lentil curry is nice, even my meat loving hubby likes that once in a while. :)
  • carriebradshaw
    Forumite
    jcr16 wrote: »
    that sounds gorgeous. think my hubby might go for that. would it also slice up cold for lunch boxes ? to have with quiche and salad type light lunches ?

yes it's even better cold :)
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    I love this recipe it's very moreish :) I sometimes use a mixture of split peas and lentils instead of just lentils,tastes just as good to me :j

Cheese & Lentil Loaf

150g cheese, grated (I use cheddar or red leicester) up to you to use what you like really though
    3 cloves garlic, grated
    1 beaten egg
    a good handful of chopped herbs I use mainly thyme & a little bit of rosemary(not too much Rosemary it can taste soapy) from my garden,but have also used mint and parsley as I grow those as well.You would use less if using dried herbs as they are stronger so I’m told

Pre-heat oven to 180c & line your loaf tin with greasproof paper then grease the paper or it will stick
    In another pan with a small amount of oil,gently soften onions & peppers,add garlic,mushrooms & grated carrots and cook for a few more mins then tip it all into a large bowl
    Add the lentils, cheese,oats & herbs & mix well, season with salt and pepper,and stir in the beaten egg.
    Remove from oven and place a plate over the top,then a heavy weight or some tins on top of that to press for about 15mins –half an hour.This will make it easier/firmer to turn out and slice up.

Then turn out onto a plate, peel off the paper and slice up how you want it and eat.

I love this served hot with some veggies or cold with salad, would be nice with some tattie wedges or chips too I should imagine.

Oh my carriebradshaw, that sounds mighty fine!

Many (cough) years ago now :o Holl@nd & Barretts used to make a vegetarian tray bake that you could buy by the slice - can't remember what it was called, but it was divine. Sadly, they don't do it anymore. Although I seem to remember theirs having sunflower seeds in it, this sounds like it may be quite similar.

I have to confess that I've never made anything even remotely like this before but I'm sorely tempted to give it a bash. I'd probably be the only one in the family who'd eat it though - does it freeze well?
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • carriebradshaw
    Forumite
    yes it freezes very well :D
  • Lesley_Gaye
    Lesley_Gaye Posts: 1,045 Forumite

Cheese & Lentil Loaf

3 cloves garlic, grated
    1 beaten egg

that sounds utterly delish, I'll def be giving this one a go
  • BOGOF_Queen
    BOGOF_Queen Posts: 110 Forumite
    I make a chilli con carne with lentils instead of using mince, use red lentils usually. I boil the lentils for 3 minutes in the microwave first and then add them to the browned onions and garlic. Add a can of tomatoes, dried kidney beans (boiled for 20 mins first to remove the toxins), some dried chilli & some dried herbs, some black pepper and usually a glug or two of red wine if I happen to have a bottle open. Bit of tomato puree to thicken and then simmer for 40 minutes or so - goes with rice and even my meat eating dh &ds enjoy it. Also make a spag bol in much the same way - just leave out the kidney beans and the chilli. A couple of meals like this each week saves quite a bit of money in not having to buy meat - also lentils have quite a lot of health benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure