June 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Well... The base of it is:

carrots, 2 celery sticks, onion all chopped into chunks, beef shin (so not really steak), a tin of tomatoes, the dark lord ale (LOL) and any other veggies lurking about in the bottom of the fridge. Oh and a bay leaf!

Add all the veggies to a casserole pan with a teensy bit of butter, soften a little, add the beef shin, then add the tin of tomatoes and the ale and the bay leaf put the lid on and cook for a long time- about three hours is usually ok for melt in the mouth beef on a medium heat in the oven.

I always serve it with fresh warm bread! It is the ultimate comfort food!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • pipersky
    pipersky Posts: 954 Forumite
    Hello everyone

Spent £7.50 today on washing powder, baby wipes and sponges. The tiddlers are sick at the moment and I have used loads more wash powder and wipes than usual this week to clean them and their beds sheets/beds/clothes/teddies etc etc etc over and over again. They have generously passed to me so I have eaten the sum total of a banana today... :( Must eat something else soon though as am starting to feel a little light headed!

Hope everyone else is OK - sounds like everyone has been to a cracking start this month. Anyone seen LongTallSally? She was a bit down in the last thread and can't recall her posting yet this month... ??
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady :o
    A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • katenut
    katenut Posts: 530 Forumite
    I've just realised i forgot to set my target for this month!! Can you put me down for £150 this month please?
    Trying to jump back onto the moneysaving wagon .... :cool:
  • welshkaz
    welshkaz Posts: 288 Forumite
    well it wasnt a nsd after all a £10.75 spend in coop after slimming world today really out of fruit and veg and had some whoopsies of king prawns and chicken breasts for £2.40 for the 2 so a bargain ...
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,613
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Do you include stuff like kids haircuts in the GC? DD2 has very long hair which currently looks like a halloween wig and needs to be cut and thinned out. I rang the hairdressers and it will be £15 to wash and cut it. I was going to include this in my month's spend. Also need to buy dog food today and am hoping to get round the supermarket without giving in to temptation........
    I didn't include my 'cut and colour' (that came out of my 'everything else' budget) and don't include dog food (that has its own budget as well)

My GC budget is JUST for food and drink.... even toiletries and cleaning items come under another budget for me rolleyes2.gif
    Cheryl
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,310
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Spent $34.47.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,613
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    NSD yesterday :T

Spend of £3.85 today, which included £2.56 on Whoopsies with shelf ticket prices of £15.92
    Cheryl
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,207
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Haven't posted in here for a l o n g time but trying to stick to grocery budget this month. Rounding up last couple of days to £20. That includes a pack of 2 frozen wild salmon steaks from Lldl. Hope they are good. Were only £1.99 so thought they are worth a try. They also have H£inz beans for £1.50 for 4. the pack had 2 extra tins free so quite a good deal really.
    Thanks for the motivation everyone
    w
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,007
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Spent £3.90 at the weekend on some mustard - bought 2 jars as it's one I'm not able to get in the supermarket where I do my weekly shop.

Weekly shop today came to £8.35 so total for the month so far is £12.25.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ok it's early days, but I'm doing well so far with my £160 for the month challenge. Went out today and spent £2 in the pound shop (still can't believe that I only bought what I went in there for, lol!) and £10 in Iceland, which got me quite a few meals/parts of meals for me and DP, and I have no plans to go to any shops for the rest of the week, apart from possibly shopping for a new carpet and I don't think that counts as groceries, lol!

Good luck to everyone!

Hugs
    Sue.
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business