technika tv/dvd just out of warranty, just died on me.

Comments

• Update wise, I filled out tescos form for repayment, mentioned all the facts given to me on here, and by the consumer advice bod. This was sent over a week ago, I demanded that the product should be repaired/replaced prior to offering a % but still not heard from them.. i will follow up with a phone call today. But would like to add a warning to other consumers about the Technika tvs.... well it served me for 1.2 years, picture was good, but have a feeling that they use cheap motherboards/components as mine died very early, so please exercise caution when looking at the offers for larger technika tvs which have been offered recently by Tescos.
  • In conclusion to this, received £188 back off tesco, which is adequate for a replacement, put another £18 or so quid in and got a lovely samsung (hopefully more reliable) 22" which is great, so not too bad after all.
    many thanks for help everyone.
    John
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Tesco customer service are talking cr*p! Under the sale of goods act, you're entitled to a free repair for as long as what is deemed a reasonable shelf life for the product, up to a maximum of 6 years. I would expect a TV/dvd to last at least 3 years, so would say you're perfectly entitled to a free repair.

Go back to Tesco and tell them this.

This isn't correct. It is not "up to a maximum of 6 years". The 6 year period relates to the 'limitation period' within which to bring a claim.

DMG24 is spot on in her advice.
  • I think Tesco were very fair in this situation.

Whenever I have dealt with out of warranty items (on the advice of head office) I have had to ask the customer to provide an engineers report stating what the fault is and to provide proof that the fault is due to a manufacturers defect.

It is a rather grey area and unfortunately not many companies provide proper training for their staff. I'll be the first to admit that most of my knowledge of the matter comes from this site!
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,424
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm not able to talk about the exact legal rights and wrongs. But if I'd bought a TV/DVD for £250 over a year ago, and I got £188 back, I'd be happy.
  • I've seen all of the negative stuff on here about Tesco and their Technika own brand TV's. I've had two 22" LCD TV DVD combos, one of which just failed on me for the second time (DVD's would play) but Tesco have been brilliant on both occasions. They exchanged my TV before and today without any hassle. Just wanted to balance all the negative with some positive, credit where credit is due......

Let's not ask for too much here, when you pay a lower amount of money you should expect to get a cheaper quaility product. You get what you pay for.

:T

Regards

Roy
  • jaz_2
    jaz_2 Posts: 139 Forumite
    rbailey wrote: »
    I've seen all of the negative stuff on here about Tesco and their Technika own brand TV's. I've had two 22" LCD TV DVD combos, one of which just failed on me for the second time (DVD's would play) but Tesco have been brilliant on both occasions. They exchanged my TV before and today without any hassle. Just wanted to balance all the negative with some positive, credit where credit is due......

Let's not ask for too much here, when you pay a lower amount of money you should expect to get a cheaper quaility product. You get what you pay for.

:T

Regards

Roy

Been working for Tesco long, Roy?
  • woody01
    woody01 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    edited 5 April 2010 at 8:38AM
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Tesco customer service are talking cr*p! Under the sale of goods act, you're entitled to a free repair for as long as what is deemed a reasonable shelf life for the product, up to a maximum of 6 years. I would expect a TV/dvd to last at least 3 years, so would say you're perfectly entitled to a free repair.

Go back to Tesco and tell them this.

And that is the crux of it (which you have wrong).
    It makes not one jot of difference whether you, the OP or the Man in the Moon deem this product to have lasted that long.

Also, another place where you are wrong, is the they can offer anything they like to redeem this issue, which they have.
    Tesco are offering a timed refund, where they will offer partial cash back whilst taking into acount the length of time the OP has had the product.

You are NOT ENTITLED to a free repair.
    It is the choice of the retailer to either repair....replace...or refund.
    I demanded that the product should be repaired/replaced prior to offering a %
    If you listened to anyone besides PinkShoes, you would see that is a bit daft as you are not in a position to 'demand' anything.

In conclusion to this, received £188 back off tesco, which is adequate for a replacement, put another £18 or so quid in and got a lovely samsung (hopefully more reliable) 22" which is great, so not too bad after all.
    and there you go.
    A good result without having to make idle threats :)
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    woody01 wrote: »
    And that is the crux of it (which you have wrong).
    It makes not one jot of difference whether you, the OP or the Man in the Moon deem this product to have lasted that long.

Also, another place where you are wrong, is the they can offer anything they like to redeem this issue, which they have.
    Tesco are offering a timed refund, where they will offer partial cash back whilst taking into acount the length of time the OP has had the product.

You are NOT ENTITLED to a free repair.
    It is the choice of the retailer to either repair....replace...or refund.

If you listened to anyone besides PinkShoes, you would see that is a bit daft as you are not in a position to 'demand' anything.

and there you go.
    A good result without having to make idle threats :)
    That was well worth writing, wasn't it Woody?

Feel better now?

By the way Pinkshoes wrote her comments fifteen months ago.
  • woody01
    woody01 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    wealdroam wrote: »
    That was well worth writing, wasn't it Woody?

Feel better now?

By the way Pinkshoes wrote her comments fifteen months ago.

and your post offered nothing. (not suprisingly)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure