Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs

Options

Comments

• cinders59
    cinders59 Posts: 7,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have put an I won post in the comps threads.
    How do I get it moved.
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who post comps :)
    ITV winners membersclub#2
  • ikkle87
    ikkle87 Posts: 8,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    just pm a boardguide with the link to your post hun x
    You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
  • lyechin2002
    Options
    Thank for the sharing
  • archie-belle
    Options
    :confused:hi all i'm a newbie,soz if i post this in the wrong place.....
    if i try and tick THANKS i get this message....help please

archie-belle, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
  • joho
    joho Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Firstly apologies for double posting this (I also posted in the Comps Discussion thread, but it just keeps getting lost) - so here goes.

Can I just ask a q about arranging the comps by date order. I clicked on the End Date button, so that comps with the farthest end date come first and I got about 154 pages of comps.

So I go to the last page, for the comps with the nearest end dates (i.e. this week) - but there are NO itv comps anywhere near this end, only a couple ending in January and then straight into Feb - is this correct? This is using ITV comps as an example really, rather than me specifically wanting to enter only ITV comps.

Well, actually I know its not correct, because I opened a new tab with the comps in the standard view and searched for ITV, and there were 3 ITV comps ending 14/01, including one with Take me Out, that are not listed when I click the end date view button.

The earliest ending comp that is listed in the End date view is 15/01. (todays date is 4/1)

Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to avoid missing comps when they don't appear in the right place? Or where to get more help?
    If you have nothing constructive to say just move along.
  • heloid
    heloid Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    Comps are showing in the right order for me when I sort by thread title. eg.
    31/11
    31/11
    31/12
    31/12

What am I doing wrong?
  • kisto
    kisto Posts: 7,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 January 2011 at 10:32PM
    Options
    JAN 2011 update: Please note that this guide was written before Twitter released a new version. The basic principles are still the same, but the method may vary slightly!
    ======================================

More and more companies are using twitter as a way to promote their products/services by offering competitions and giveaways.

Twitter is not anywhere near as complicated as you might think. If you can use forums or facebook you will have no problem using twitter. It's just a different way of communicating.

My twitter account: http://twitter.com/kijolo

How twitter works:

If you're familiar with facebook then imagine that twitter is just like reading facebook status updates ... except on twitter they're called "tweets".

On twitter you have "followers". This is people (tweeters) that interest you (like friends on facebook).

Anything that the people you follow post, will show up on your timeline (this is viewable by clicking the "Home" link on your twitter account). The more people you follow the more posts there will be on your timeline.

Anything that you post will appear on your timeline, plus on the timeline of anyone that follows you.

How to post on twitter:

When you are logged into twitter click on the "home" link and this takes you to your time line. At the top you will see this box:

twitterwhatshappening.jpg

This is where you can type your message (tweet). Your message will need to be no more than 140 characters (the 140 in the top right decreases as you type each letter so you know when you're running out of characters).

Now to break down a "tweet":

How to follow someone:

(I am going to use @gowercottage as an example for the next few posts - I'm not affiliated to them in anyway though! Ignore their question for now too)

Normally to enter a competition you will need to follow the person/company (tweeter) that is running the comp. You will probably want to follow other compers too as this is how you will discover new competitions.

Following someone is very simple. When you see their post (which will look something like below) click on their name:

twitterfollowj.jpg

This takes you to their twitter page and all you need to do is click "follow"

twitterfollow1.jpg

From now on, each time they post, it will appear in your timeline.

How to reply to a message:

If you want to reply to someone this is also very simple to do. Just below their tweet you will see the reply option. Simply click that and it will take you to your text box, ready to write your message,

twitterreply.jpg

and it will include their twitter @name so that they can see your reply.

twitterreply1.jpg

easy huh?!

How to "Retweet" (RT) something:

A lot of competitions simply require you to "retweet" (RT) the message. This is also very simple to do. Next to the reply option their is a "retweet" option. Simply click this and your post is retweeted!

twitterretweet.jpg

You can also retweet by simply copying and pasting the message into the text box at the top of your home page. Don't forget to include their @name

Including "Hashtags"

In the gowercottage example you will see that they have used some words/phrases preceded by the hashtag:

twitterhashtag.jpg
    A hashtag is twitters way of "grouping" a message. If you click on the hashtag text (on twitter) it will take you to all messages that feature that hashtag like this:
    twitterhashtag1.jpg

Hashtags are used for competition entries, as an easy way to track the competition entries.

So now onto the fun part, entering competitions!

Using the gowercottage as an example:

Prior to posting their comp they tweeted

"1 guess per person followed by the tag #freeleebyrne for FREE Brownies, question coming up in 5 minutes..."

Then the question was posted

"Today's #mondaymayhem Q for Free Brownies is, last week I was on Radio 2 with Jeremy Vine, how many hits did my website get? #freeleebyrne"

So to enter this, you would need to follow and then reply to gowercottage with your guess and include the hashtag #freeleebyrne.

Normally each tweet will give you instructions on how to enter. One I entered this morning (and then won) was for the first 90 people to email them (and they provided their email address). Others may want you to "RT" (retweet as explained above) or they might want you to "DM" (direct message) them (note: they have to be following you to be able to message them... they often forget this when posting their comp :mad:)!

And finally:

To find out if anyone has mentioned/replied to you, click on your name (I only learned this recently)!!!!

twitterkijolo.jpg

A few useful sites:

To post pictures on twitter: http://twitpic.com/

Feel free to reply/pm me if you want any help. Follow me on twitter and you will then see the comps I find as I retweet them.

Also if I have missed anything, feel free to add to this! Also http://twitter.com/help/start is well worth a read (it explains everything in more detail)!
    :T*Thanks to all who posts comps * :j
  • Ishkalar
    Options
    I'd just like to add this please..

A word of warning, I've had a twitter account for a while now but rarely used it till recently. Every now and then i had some random person follow me with some random blurb and a link to web page using sites like http://!!!!!!/
    If your not 100% sure who the person is BE WARY of clicking the link as these can be phishing sites and links to trojans. As soon as they have become a follower they usually have disappeared as someone has reported them but best to be safe than sorry...

Hope this helps..
    thanks for the great post Kisto. :T
  • battersea_ruby
    Options
    quick question re: phone numbers. i'm a bit nervy about using any phone number for entering comps and have just been using '00000000000' to fill in the entry boxes. all comp entries have my email and mailing addresses. if i win (fingers crossed!), generally, will they email me or should i always use a mobile number as well?

thanks!
    :happylove
  • silesius
    silesius Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 27 February 2010 at 1:11AM
    Options
    Hi, first I'd like to thank all MSErs posting comps :T Wish I had more time to contribute! And while I'm here, I'd like to share with two great add-ons for Firefox that help me a bit while comping. They can be a remedy for pains of finding most of the dupes or simply used for tracking which threads or competition sites you've visited. You can use either of each or both.

1) NoSquint

Link: addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592

It allows you to change the color of visited links on a per site basis or globally. Quite helpful since MSE forums' script overwrites the browser default colour styling for visited links (which is purplish) and leaves it blue or even blue for threads being bumped so you can't distinguish them from new threads. You can overwrite it too - simply install this proggy, go to MSE forum, right click on it and select NoSquint Site Settings. Tick the options you want overwritten, choose your colour and you're home :cool:

2) Link Status

Link: addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12312

Does the same thing as the first extension, i.e. informs you of the pages you were on, but in a different way. When you hover over a visited link it shows you the date of the last visit on the status bar as shown here: img220.imageshack.us/img220/8263/46376859.jpg

IMPORTANT: these add-ons use your browser's history so make sure you had it set for a sufficient period of time (go to Tools > Options > Privacy > Remember my browsing history for at least...).

CAUTION: there are threads like the one with puzzler.com comps that you would definitely like to visit many times or sites that keep their comps on the same pages again and again (like example.com/win or particular ITV comps) so be careful not to miss them!

Hope this helps ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport