PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cleaning Cooker Hood

Options
Hellooooooo!

I've got one of those built in extractor fans over my hob, the front of it is the same as my units and my problem is that it's very greasy.The built in units all around the hob and they have ALL developed a coating of yellow, shiny grease that's proving impossible to get off.

I've tried washing up liquid, bleach, flash, oven cleaner :eek: and everything else in my cupboard. I've rubbed and scrubbed but when I rinse the doors and dry them... the flippin grease is still on 'em!!!!!

HELP!!!!!

I feel sure that vinegar, hydrogen peroxide and lemon juice will feature somewhere in the removal of this stuff :D
Just run, run and keep on running!

Comments

• student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mmm yeah, I'm the only person at home who ever seems to do this task, for some reason they always leave it till the uni holidays for me to get back :rolleyes:

I usually use lots of washing up liquid and one of those green nylon scourers (don't expect to be able to use it for anything else afterwards though, it'll only be fit for the bin) and elbow grease. Wearing rubber gloves is a good idea! If you're cleaning the actual thing that holds the grease filter you can never get it perfectly clean.

I have never tried it but I'm told a solution of biological washing (i.e. laundry) powder in water makes a good degreaser, the enzymes help remove the grease or something so maybe if you're struggling with plain detergent (washing up liquid) try that.

And if you do use a scourer make sure it won't wreck your cupboards first.
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • Jess_7477
    Options
    I had to do this at my last house when I moved in as the whole kitchen was covered. I got some stuff from B&Q called Suger Soap and it came off really easily, only it was quite expensive, but it worked!
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My cooker hood was in a grotty state, covered in grease and nicotine. the only thing that got it all off was good old fashioned Ajax Scoruing Powder, hot water, and plenty of elbow grease.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your replies... :)

I'm scared of scratching the surface of the doors witha scourer as they're quite shiny and the lights shine on them.... does that make sense?

I might have a go at sugar soap... my Brother In Law's a decorator so he might have some that I can nick :D

It's a bloody pain to get rid of isn't it? The fan has a built in light, the cover of which fills up with yellow fat :eek: I wouldn't mind but it's not as if we have fried foods all that often!!

Wonder how much a cleaner costs!!!!!

• seth
    seth Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    Use some washing Soda and mix it with boiling water in a pot on the stove to keep it hot. This makes a cuastic solutions. The key is to use heat and soda. This disolves the fat (it acually makes soap FAT+ NaOH= Soaponification).

Don't do this in an aluminium pan, and use gloves, keep kids, pets away and wear googles. Ideally a big pot so you can immerise the items to be cleaned.
    Seth.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just found a recommendation for doing this on another site & got so excited that I have had to come straight back & post it here! How sad am I?
    Anyway, it's on dollarstretcher.com (a VERY American site if you've never seen it but full of useful stuff if you can get past all the "Mary-Ellens pot luck supper" type articles), a reader recommends using WD40 to clean a greasy cooker hood! Haven't tried it myself but seems reasonable enough to consider?

HTH
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,866 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    sorry no vinegar

you need this or this from lakeland
    and some microfibre cloths best ones I've had are from woolworths
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    Ooohhh...! Thanks for all your suggestions :)

Seth... WOW... that sounds like good fun ...is washing soda the same as washing powder... I doubt it so will peel my eyes in Adsa for 'Washing Soda'

Lillibet.... I'll try that tomorrow cos I've got some in the car, thanks

Glad... I've been looking for an excuse to go to the Lakes for a day and that might've just swung it ..(he doesn't know that you can order online ;) )... The first one seems like good value as you get the refill aswell...thanks. It could come in handy for loads of things.

Now... where can I buy some elbow grease? :D

• molly57
    molly57 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    This might sound strange, but have you tried windolene.... I tried it on mine and it worked. All sparkling and clean
    I used the spray solution
    Hope this helps
    micheal5kr.gif
  • M.E.2-2
    M.E.2-2 Posts: 7,354 Forumite
    Options
    Used to run a restaurant and used a product called Deepio in the kitchen.All the equipment would clean up like new. It was a powder but I believe you can get a spray bottle as well.
    Guest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family