PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Homemade wine

Options
Has anyone here had any success with home made wine?

A while back I bought the bits and pieces required from a wine making shop (cost about £20). There is a simpler method whereby all you need is a big 5 litre jar and a balloon to keep the top covered and sterile, but I haven't tried this.

The bottles were old 'proper' wine bottles, and the method was got free from the internet.

I made orange wine - all you need is 3 litres of juice, about 700g of sugar, and some yeast. It works out at about 50p a bottle but it could be done cheaper with a bit of effort. If you have fruit trees etc you can make it for nothing but the cost of the yeast and sugar.

It took me about six weeks to make, but dedicated enthusiasts always have another lot on the go while they drink their present vintage.

And the taste....? Hmm. Not really like any wine you'd get in a shop, but perfectly drinkable (especially as a mixer) and very strong.

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Have triedwinemaking a while back with similar results to you. That was back when I was a white wine drinker. Now I'm all grown up :), I like red wine so the options are more limited.

Anyone got recipe for a red wine that uses something fresh (not a pack) and cheap?
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    do you grow into drinking red wine? i hate it, but older friends say you like it more as you get older
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    I make loads and it's very nice.

The best I think are reds like Blackberry and Strawberry.  I have got great results with tinned peaches too.  The soft fruits that break down easily work best.  wrong time fo the year for the first two, but tinned peaches and manderines work good and cheap if you use the basic brand from supermarkets. The strawberry is something else! I tend to lengthen the fermentation and make them strong and sweet like a desert wine or liqueur, but they can be made into table wines too.

I can send or post the recipees later... after work ????
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes 160 you can definately grow into red wine. We too were confirmed white wine drinkers when a friend suggested that to get into red wine we should at least try drinking a whole bottle of it which when you don't like red wine seems far too much! So we took a bottle away on holiday with us (we were on a little motor boat and away from the pubs)

After 1 glass we still didn't like it :(

After 2 glasses we thought maybe we should try another :-/

After the 3rd glass all was right in the world ;D ;D ;D and we were confirmed red wine drinkers!!

So give it a try ( I can't drink white wine now unless it's the fizzy sort!!lol)
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yes please. ;D
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Don't forget that any home made wine that isn't quite good enough for drinking is perfectly alright to use in casseroles, gravy etc :)
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i freeze dodgy wine in ice cube trays, then bag, excellent fot chucking a couple in a stew.
  • Austin_Allegro_2
    Options
    I'd love to see the recipe for tinned peach wine, as Sainsbury's are doing massive tins for about 36p!

You can also use 'failed' homemade wine as wine vinegar.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never tried homemade wine cos I still have the memory of my Grnadmother's Parsnip Whisky which used to take ya head off. What do you need to get started?
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I havn't tried making homemade wine cos I still have the memory of my Grandmother's Parnip Whisky which used to take ya head off. Austen, What do you need to get started?
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport