weareelectricals.com

Options
I was foolish enough to order a mobile phone from weareelectricals.com and pay by BACS. At the time, it seemed to be a UK bricks and mortar operation and complaints related to inefficiency and not having goods in stock, rather than fraud.

I was informed by email that the phone was not in stock, so I asked for my money back. They have not replied to my emails and do not answer their phone. Has anyone else got their money back from this company? Others appear to be in the same position from reviews that are appearing (though I could not find anything on this forum.)

I'm reluctant to go to the small claims court as I fear the company will simply go into liquidation or disappear.

Comments

• andrew_jones
    Options
    This is the worst company i have ever delt with online, i was foolish enough to use a debit card , i ordered, they took payment then nothing, no delivery , no response to emails or recorded delivery letters, and as for their premium rate number helpline , just a joke . Happily two months later i,ve used chargeback for a refund, but would never use this company again.
  • andrew_jones
    Options
    Forgot to mention if you look around these forums someone has put up a direct phone number to their office which isn,t a premium rate scam line, may be useful to try phoning them again
  • allfrey
    allfrey Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    I have been using a geographic number that was listed on the web and their 0800 number - not the premium number. After sending a letter by recorded delivery, I had 2 emails promising a refund. Time will tell if I get it.

Trading standards are involved - I assume they have had a lot of complaints besides mine. They are hopeful weareelectricals will get their act together.
  • brenton
    Options
    My experience:
    I ordered hard disc drives in late October, total £237, and paid by bank transfer. After enquiries from me, they said that the items could not be obtained and offered a refund on 7th November.
    They stated that the refund would clear in 3-7 working days. I waited this period and I asked them several times to confirm the refund. I subsequently sent a letter. No reply to this or any of my later emails. All ignored.
    I contacted Birmingham Trading Standards via the web, who contacted me shortly afterwards. A couple of days later Trading Standards told me that weareelectricals would make the refund and I received the money in my bank a/c in 2 days. So, 5 weeks to get a refund.
    I would not deal with this company again and I will never again pay over the web by direct transfer.
    Birmingham Trading Standards dealt with my complaint in an excellent manner.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    If you contact the Guardian they're doing something to do with this company at the moment.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/dec/02/we-are-electricals-negative-comments
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • allfrey
    Options
    Thanks for pointing this out. I did get my money back - after sending a registered letter and involving Trading Standards. It's possible I would have got it back at any rate, as their T&C promise a refund in 30 days, However, the lack of any replies to my emails or to the phone (until I sent the registered letter) did not inspire confidence.
  • donmalaga
    Options
    Did you send it to the address on their website, as its pass 30days for me and have spoken to them twice on this matter and have yet to see anything returned back to me.

thanks
  • allfrey
    allfrey Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    I sent it to the Birmingham address on their website. I also contacted Consumer Direct and Trading Standards Birmingham before writing to them. The Trading Standards people are not meant to deal direct with the consumer - hence you have to go to Consumer Direct as well.

At least you have had contact with them! I had not managed to speak to them or get a reply to my email before sending the letter.
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    This sounds awfully like a bit of an online ePonzi scheme.

ie -

Person A orders & pays for something
    Item is 'out of stock' so a refund is offered
    Refund doesn't come, so they start to complain & make a fuss
    Meanwhile, Person B orders & pays for something
    This money is used to refund Person A who is now sending letters & kicking off

The game being - how long can they hold on to your money / how many give up trying to get a refund.

purely speculation on my part of course, and could have it all wrong - but would be interested to know if anyone *has* received their item from them.
  • ryancarter11
    Options
    they have had £2000+ of our money/promised stock for almost three months now. We paid by direct transfer and cannot retrieve the money easily. They have just setup a new company called wae+ - weareplus.com which is basically the same just different branding! I cannot believe they can continue to trade like this. I found some very usefull information on this site - weareelectricals.wordpress.com hope it helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport