PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning up um vomit

Options
Sorry for the title of thread
ds1 is sick and has done so over my matress and sofa, i have an upholstry part on my cleaner but its too heavy for me to be lugging up stairs unless im really going to have to

anyway what can i use to clean up and get rid of the smell from the fabric the sofa is a dark blue so there should be no staining
thank you
DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
sealed pot 2670g
2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80

Comments

• djtonyb
    djtonyb Posts: 629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When my lo was sick I asked the same question and was given the advice to clean up hte lumps then sprinkle with bicarbonate of soda. Leave for a couple of hours then hoover up the powder.

Worked really well for me on a carpet.
    Fat and proud lol
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Scrape up any and all lumpy bits (be gentle and don't scrape too harshly!)

Use some white cloth and press down to 'lift' any residual moisture.

You really need to 'clean' the marks and a weak solution of biological washing powder/liquid dissolved in warm water will work on any bacteria/soiling. Do a test on a piece of the sofa no one see's first!

Work the stain from the outside in using small circular movements. None of your scrubbing from side to side milarky ;)

You can also use the bicarb sprinkled over and hoovered later, but you really need to make sure that you have cleaned up all traces of the vomit first.

Best of luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    thank you so much
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

sealed pot 2670g
  • AngelMom
    AngelMom Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Hello there, just wondered if anyone had got any tips for getting the smell of sick out of my sons cot mattress it just wont go!! I have tried disinfectant and upholstery cleaner. I have aired the room and put the mattress outside all day but it still stinks!!

Someone has mentioned bicarbonate of soda to me but do you know how to use this? Do I mix it as a paste or tip it on dry?

Many thanks in advance

AM :A
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    i took mine to the bath (its a foam matress) used the shower head and a little washing liquid, it will need to dry fully before you can use it again, it did help that mine had a removeable cover.

hopefully someone else will be along with ideas for non-foam matress's

sealed pot 2670g
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi AngelMom,

We have a recent thread that might help so I've merged your thread with it to keep all the suggestions together.

I know it's not the same thing but some of the replies on these older threads might give you more ideas:

Mattress soaked through

Can you clean a urine soaked matress?

Toddler peed on my lovely pillow topped mattress!!!

Pink
  • Queenie
    Options
    AngelMom wrote: »
    Hello there, just wondered if anyone had got any tips for getting the smell of sick out of my sons cot mattress it just wont go!! I have tried disinfectant and upholstery cleaner. I have aired the room and put the mattress outside all day but it still stinks!!

Someone has mentioned bicarbonate of soda to me but do you know how to use this? Do I mix it as a paste or tip it on dry?

Many thanks in advance

AM :A

Vomit is a protein stain and for that you need to use a solution of biological washing powder/water.
    You can use some bicarb *after* you have cleaned the mattress with the bio/water solution, but you really shouldn't need to once you have cleaned the mattress with the bio soap/water solution.

HTH :)
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our baby got a cold last week and was very sick in our bed on the one night that we had the waterproof cover drying over the banister overnight.:rolleyes:

I squirted some washing up liquid in some cold water and gave it a good scrub with that, then with some fresh cold water, then took the hair dryer to it (so we could put some fresh covers on and get back into bed.)

Worked a treat, but then he is only 6 weeks old so it was just milk rather than anything solid!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Queenie
    Options

Worked a treat, but then he is only 6 weeks old so it was just milk rather than anything solid!
    Never underestimate the stench of soured milk :eek: ;) :whistle:
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Queenie wrote: »
    Never underestimate the stench of soured milk :eek: ;) :whistle:

:rotfl: So true! I think DH was a bit surprised by my speedy response to the cleaning as well as to the baby. (I am NOT a night person!) But having been in my friend's car lately after she spilt milk in it, I wasn't going to mess about!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport