PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Light starter for Christmas Day lunch?

Options
buyitall
buyitall Posts: 3,597 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 7 December 2010 at 8:28PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi all,
This year we're cooking for 9 for Christmas. We will have the full works for main course, and lots of puddings, so I'm looking for ideas for a very light starter. Four of the guests don't like smoked salmon, so that's out. I think soup will be too filling but can't think of anything else that's not bread-based or too rich. Also needs to take up not much oven space due to all the main course bits. I am considering not doing a starter, but if anyone here can suggest something nice and simple that would be great xx

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Why not opt for some festive roasted and spiced nuts with pre-dinner drinks instead? Quick and easy and doesn't require any fridge space.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Sunflower1227
    Options
    Go for an old fav, that doenst need to be cooked and can be prepared in advance - Prawn Cocktail :T
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D
  • melliec
    melliec Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    I have done this simple starter for Christmas dinner a few times....

Arrange a couple of tinned pear halves on a plate/dish and fill with a stuffing made of cream cheese, chopped dates, walnuts and dried cranberries. garnish with some baby leaves :)
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Melon is easy and light.. I used to buy three different types/colour and either slice or ball it into pieces and put in a glass.. with a cocktail cherry on top .. very 70's
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • madtrekker
    Options
    You could always serve some canapes with drinks beforehand if you think a "proper" starter would be too filling.
  • Ladyhawk
    Ladyhawk Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    Options
    I know you have said no soup - but last year I made a lovely light soup as a starter. It was a beetroot and vodka soup and absolutely delish!

Let me know if you want the recipe and I will dig it out.
    Man plans and God laughs...
    Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
  • hot.chick
    hot.chick Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    my suggestion is prawn cocktail too.....

no cooking, just assemble :)

or pate and melba toasts - also served cold.

If you keep portions quite small and serve with mixed leaves would keep it light :)
  • Running_On_Empty
    Options
    Avocado and prawn mayonnaise.
  • Running_On_Empty
    Options
    Tomato caprese: sliced tomato, basil, mozarella, olive oil.
    Or sliced tomato, avocado fan and basil, olive oil.
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    i'm doing a goats cheese salad at hubbys request
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family