PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Anyone make Sourdough Bread?

Options
I've just made my first sourdough in the breadmaker! :j

It came out brilliantly but at one point I was worried about it hitting the window in the lid, the taste is exceptional, and it has a really scrummy crust, and a soft fluffy centre - only half of it left now :rotfl:but I need to let my starter recover for a couple of days before I can make another :drool:
The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Braggart :p

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    Just because you are jealous! :naughty:

:rotfl:
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • Whitefiver
    Options
    Hi,

I really quite like sourdough bread, and our local deli stocks it sometimes, but at about £2.30 a loaf. :eek:

I was a regular breadmaker (in a machine) who has fallen by the wayside. Please does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for a) making a sourdough starter, and b)when it is going, actually making the bread?

There are plenty on the net, so please don't just point me to one of those - there are huge variations, and I really would really like a tested recipe - the more foolproof, the better.

Thanks in advance,

White
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hang on - I'll ask a good net friend in the States who's a keen breadmaker.

This may take a day or so but I know she makes sourdough...
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • foreverskint
    Options
    I haven't tried any myself, but in the interests of OS science I have now got a sstarter going. This aparently takes 8 days to ferment properly, and after that you nab bits of it to make the next loaf.

I have taken the recipie from Best ever breadmachine by Jennie Shapter, a book I bought for £4.00 in one of those discount bookstores. I have made the basic white and tonight I tried the fench bread recipe which was really very good.
    I shall let you know how it goes and if it works o.k I will post the recipe if someone reminds me;)
  • Whitefiver
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    Hang on - I'll ask a good net friend in the States who's a keen breadmaker.

This may take a day or so but I know she makes sourdough...

Thanks Squeaky - I am quite happy to make it by hand - I think my breadmaker has seen better days (largely why I stopped using it I guess).

Regards,

White.
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    Squeaks, when you are talking to your friend, can you ask if she makes bagels?? The last recipe I had they turned out like bricks:(
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sorry to say that despite making all sorts of bread (a loaf per day) she doesn't make sourdough. So I was wrong. The one I was thinking was sourdough was a batter bread which is quite different. Sorry.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Squeaks, when you are talking to your friend, can you ask if she makes bagels?? The last recipe I had they turned out like bricks:(
    I'm pretty sure I posted a bagels recipe in the main breadmaking thread. Hang on and I'll go look for it. Watch this space I'll come back and edit...

Edit: Bagels

If you used your own basic bread recipe to start with, try this one instead 'cos it worked for me...

460g flour
    260g water
    2tbsp sugar
    2tbsp milk podwer (optional)
    2tsp salt
    1 sachet active dried yeast

• carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    Have you ever read "By bread alone" by Sarah Kate Lynch? Here's the link to it on Amazon, it's all about a woman and her quest for the perfect sour dough:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/055277104X/qid=1127339920/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/026-5179099-9710038

I see they've got some second hand ones from 29p or you could get it from the library. It's got recipes in it and everything but I'm yet to try making some. I really enjoyed the book although I notice that some of the reveiwers didn't, they're obviously not into breadmaking as much as us!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure