PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Options

Comments

• Daisy
    Daisy Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    Since my breadmaker arrived this week, I've made 2 very satisfactory white loaves using tescos strong white flour (51p for 1.5kg). If I made it with a more expensive brand would the bread turn out even nicer? Also, would I be right in thinking if I'm making dough for pizza the flour quality wouldn't really matter anyway?

BTW breadmakers are amazing. You just chuck the ingredients in and what looks like a floury watery mess ends up as a lovely smelling loaf in the morning. It's like magic!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Add the ingredients to your bread pan as per a basic white bread recipe. You can substitute up to half the white flour for wholemeal or brown if you wish. Set your breadmaker to make "Dough Only" and when the process is complete follow this method:-

Cut the dough into 15 - 20 equal pieces and roll into balls. Make a 1 inch (2.5cm) hole in the middle to form a ring shape. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 30 - 40 minutes.

Meanwhile bring 2 litres (3 - 4 pints) of water and 2 tbsp of sugar to a gentle boil. When the bagels are ready, add to the water 2 at a time and boil uncovered for 2 minutes turning once.

Place bagels on a lightly greased baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes at gas mark 5 (180C)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Croissants

Ingredients:

250ml Tepid water
    460g Strong white flour
    2tbsp Sugar
    2tbsp Butter
    1tsp Salt
    2.5 tsp (7g) Yeast

You will also need 250g of butter or margarine, 1 egg, a little milk and some cling film.

Method:

Place the ingredients in the bread pan and select "Make Dough".

Meanwhile, place the butter between two pieces of cling film. Using a rolling pin gently roll the butter until it becomes a 1" (2.5cm) thick rectangular slab. Remove to the fridge to chill.

When the dough cycle is complete remove the dough from the machine. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough into a rectangle 10"x12" (25x30cm).

Remove the chilled butter slab from the fridge, remove the cling film and lay the butter across the dough in such a way that the dough can be folded over to form a sandwich with the buuter in the middle. Roll the dough again into a rectangle 10"x12" (25x30cm). try to make sure the butter spreads out evenly as you go.

Next cut the dough into eight triangular pieces...

|/___|/____|
    |...../|....../|
    |.. /. |... /. |
    |. /.. |. /... |
    |/___|/____|

Starting at the base of the triangle, roll each piece then turn each end in sllightly to form the traditional croissant shape.

Lay the eight croissants on a baking tray giving each one as much room as possible. Remove to a warm place for 40 - 60 minutes to rise.

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6 (200C). Brush the top of each croissant with the beaten egg mixed with 2tbsp milk.

Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden brown.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • freda
    freda Posts: 503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, next question, how do I make crusty rolls?

I mean rolls that are really light and fluffy inside, with a lovely crispy crust that isn't chewy, but crispy and crunchy.

I've tried everything I can think of, including putting water on top, having a really hot oven (they just come out brown on top and under done in the middle!), and removing all the fat from the recipe, but no luck.

Has anyone had any success?
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You've followed all the instructions that are in my book. I never got really crusty rolls either. Nice, cooked all the way through - just not that lovely french stick type crust. So I'll be very interested in any tips we get on this.
  • Str4berr3
    Str4berr3 Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    I was'nt sure weather i should of out this on the ebay board. but i thought maybe this post would've of been better.
    Does any Breadmaker Experts out there know what this is exactly and how do i know that this is 100% safe?
    What do you make of this?

:confused:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4379287019&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    What is it, exactly? Well it tells you in the ebay "ad" ...
    These are designed and blended from natural products to give a better taste, lighter texture, better volume and to stay fresher etc. They are used by bakeries worldwide, including the village instore bakery.
    you can miss out the sugar, fat, milk powder and any ascorbic acid(vitamin C)as they're included,
    so that is what it is composed of, presumably! :confused:
    Yes, I do believe it is safe (Lakeland sell it too, but, I've never used it, so don't know the price)

It's an authentic product - not one I'd buy, or see any need for because my bread comes out great w/out it.

HTH
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Str4berr3 wrote:
    I was'nt sure weather i should of out this on the ebay board. but i thought maybe this post would've of been better.
    Does any Breadmaker Experts out there know what this is exactly and how do i know that this is 100% safe?
    What do you make of this?

:confused:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4379287019&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Sounds similar to products sold at Lakeland like this
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm with Queenie on this one. (As I so often am) :)

Don't see the need for it, don't want to pay for it, and don't, quite honestly, like the look of that ingredients list at all.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah... solid bread!

Had that.

a) reduced the ratio of whole grain to white flour

b) set the machine on its longest cycle

c) would start it agin from the beginning after it had done the second knock up. Or set it to "Make Dough", set your kitchen timer to go off an hour after that, then set the machine to "Make Bread".

Adjust timings to suit your bread and the temperature of the room the breadmaker is in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport