dont waste potatoes!

I was getting fed up of not using all of the bag of potatoes and having to throw them out because after only 1 week they were starting to deteriorate.so now with any that are left i peel and par boil for approx 5 or 6 mins,cool,open freeze on a tray then bag them in batches enough for the family, ready to then roast from frozen.Very tasty and no more waste

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Or you can completely cook them, mash them, and keep the mash in portions in the freezer.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • ecangel24
    ecangel24 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Great idea sandran, I always freeze left over mash to then defrost for potato cakes or something.
  • kitchpoo
    kitchpoo Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    ecangel24 wrote: »
    Great idea sandran, I always freeze left over mash to then defrost for potato cakes or something.

ooo potato cakes sound nice...what do you put in them???
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,798
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Or if they are stating to grow shoots, plant them in the garden.........a few months later you might have your own home grown potatoes
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • ecangel24
    ecangel24 Posts: 99 Forumite
    kitchpoo wrote: »
    ooo potato cakes sound nice...what do you put in them???

they are not a sweet cake unfortunately but still delicious!
    450g ish of mash
    110g plain flour
    some butter and S&P if not already in the mash

Mix the flour and the mash till forms a dough.
    Roll out into a circle about 1cm thick and cut into triangles like a cake.
    flour a dry pan and fry slowly ( so they cook thorough slightly) till golden on each side.

We have them with bacon and eggs for breakfast or tea. Go well with gammon steaks, egg and veg. Also they go nicely with just butter for breakfast. Up to you.
    But they're a great way to use up potatoes in a different way.
  • JailhouseBabe
    JailhouseBabe Posts: 1,590 Forumite
    kazwookie wrote: »
    Or if they are stating to grow shoots, plant them in the garden.........a few months later you might have your own home grown potatoes

If I plant them:
    How deep should they be planted?
    Plant at any time of year?
    How will I know if there are more potatoes growing?

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm a complete novice at growing veg :o
    some people grin and bear it, others smile and do it :)
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    You can plant anywhere. If you don't like digging then shove them in a tub (with holes in the bottom). Bung in a couple of inches of earth, then the potatoes,then cover with a couple of inches.
    When the plants are about 6 inches tall, cover with more soil and let them grow further. Repeat until you've run out of bucket. The plant will eventually flower and die off. Then it's time to get the potatoes out. You can just tip out the potatoes too!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • Tired_Mummy
    Tired_Mummy Posts: 163
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Has anyone tried making gnocci with potatoes? Is it easy? Can you freeze it?

I always seem to have lots of potatoes in need of using up and wondered if gnocci might be another use as well as the mash and par boiled potatoes already mentioned :rolleyes:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Has anyone tried making gnocci with potatoes? Is it easy? Can you freeze it?

I always seem to have lots of potatoes in need of using up and wondered if gnocci might be another use as well as the mash and par boiled potatoes already mentioned :rolleyes:

Hi Tired_Mummy,

I've never made gnocci, but this thread may help:

Help with Gnocci please...

Pink
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Jailhousebabe,

I planted sprouting baby potatoes last year and had great success. As Kaz said just stick them in anything....I used compost bags, keep earthing them up and about twelve weeks later, once the flowers have died you should have a lovely crop.

These threads from the green fingered board might help:

Potatoes - where to start?

Green potatoes

growing potatoes in an empty compost bag?

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport