PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

dont waste potatoes!

Comments

• lumpy_bum
    lumpy_bum Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    im awful for weasting the left over spuds in the bottom of a bag:o
    i used to give them to my mum to plant but i havent for years:o
    :cool:minds is willing , soul remains, this woman cannot be saved :cool:
    ;);););););););):A;);););););););)

• kitaj
    kitaj Posts: 67 Forumite
    You can plant them in an old bucket - you don't even need a pot. The leaves are lush and green when they come up (after you've covered them up over and over again) so they're an attractive (ish) addition to your garden and you can just stick them outside the back door - they don't need much light/feed or anything else. While you're at it stick a rotten tomato in a hanging basket and you'll get loads of little tomato plants.....(don't use a hanging basket if they're not tumbling tomatoes:o use a pot....)
  • how1
    how1 Posts: 26 Forumite
    never heard of planting a rotten tomato - think I'll be hiding me a tom at the back of the fridge just to be able to try this one out! How do i know whether it'll be a trailing tom or not?
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    I just dug my overly sprouted pots out of the bin and put them in a pot! Thanks! I was going to try seeded pots anyway this year but never got round to it. I hate wasting anything but my head's not with it this week.
    I keep my pots in the garage (cool and dark for 23.75 hours of the day) in the plastic bag (2.5Kg from Mr T's) and they last about three or four weeks. In the kitchen they only last about 10 days.
    Catt xx
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    kitaj wrote: »
    You can plant them in an old bucket - you don't even need a pot. The leaves are lush and green when they come up (after you've covered them up over and over again) so they're an attractive (ish) addition to your garden and you can just stick them outside the back door - they don't need much light/feed or anything else. While you're at it stick a rotten tomato in a hanging basket and you'll get loads of little tomato plants.....(don't use a hanging basket if they're not tumbling tomatoes:o use a pot....)

i had tomatos blown all over the garden last year on a windy night - all damaged and no good - i left them to rot in the flower boarder in the hope of distrating the slugs (it did not work) i spent a couple of hours weeding the flower boarder - seem to have a lot of new unidentified weeds come from nowhere!! please dont tell me i have removed loads self seeded tomatoes!!!!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    The reason people buy seed potatoes as opposed to using old sprouted ones is the seed potatoes are grown in places (usually an island )where there is no blight or other potato disease and so are disease free. They are still just potatoes grown from a potato.
    We eat all ours every year so buy seed potatoes but have planted ordinary before without a problem.
  • the_cat
    the_cat Posts: 2,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ok guys - stupid question alert!!!!

Is it possible to sprout/grow sweet potatoes from the ones you buy in the shops in the same way described in this thread? Or would I have to get something special from the garden centre?

I love them but they are so pricey that I rarely buy any. Thanks in advance!
  • hoopstars
    hoopstars Posts: 24 Forumite
    Hi I've never tried growing sweet potatoes but I understand that they grow differently to normal potatoes and require more work. Try this link: http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0507/sweetpotatoes.asp
    I have never added a link before so I hope that I have done this correctly and that it may be of some help. If not just Google "growing sweet potatoes" and this link will come up. Good Luck
  • InTheRed
    InTheRed Posts: 164 Forumite
    I have a pile of potaoes to freeze, which are beginning to sprout. Can I ask whether when you mash you mash with milk and marg and then bag and freeze? Does the milk and marg become separated when defrosting?

Thanks InTheRed
    February Grocery Challenge 262.50/250.00 - overspend - oh no!

March GC 0/300.00

Weight loss goal - lose 14 lbs by May 18th 2016 - so far 3 lbs lost
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    kazwookie wrote: »
    Or if they are stating to grow shoots, plant them in the garden.........a few months later you might have your own home grown potatoes

If anyone fancies having a go at growing their own spuds these threads might be of interest:
    Potatoes, where to start??

Growing potatoes in an empty compost bag

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills