PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

dont waste potatoes!

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    InTheRed wrote: »
    I have a pile of potaoes to freeze, which are beginning to sprout. Can I ask whether when you mash you mash with milk and marg and then bag and freeze? Does the milk and marg become separated when defrosting?

Thanks InTheRed

i usually just boil and mash them as usual with milk and a wee bit of butter/marg and then use an ice-cream scoop to scoop round dollops onto a plastic plate when cold and put into the freezer.When they are frozen solid I bag them up and just stick in the freezer. When I want to cook them I just bung them in the oven or microwave to defrost with what ever I'm cooking.They taste the same as if I have just cooked them. Sometimes if I feel in the mood I will dip them in flour, beaten egg and roll in grated cheese,my grandchildren especially love 'Grannies cheesy boulders' with sausages and onion gravy for a mid-week treat.I usually make a pile of them on a big plate then surround them with sausages so it looks like a cowboy fort. I'm a softie at heart for my little lads.
    P.s. I sometimes cover the roof of the fort with beans for an original cowboy taste
  • skull
    skull Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Another use for surplus potatoes is to mash them and feed them to your hens. Over 300,000 people in the UK keep hens in their garden now. Mine cost a tenner each. You get 1 egg per hen per day (depending on the breed, I have Black Rock, a hybrid) when they come in to lay (at about 20 weeks old ). Of course they need proper layers pellets daily and a little mixed corn (not too much corn it's like sweets to them and they'll get fat and not be able to lay). They also need a bit of grit for digesting their food and oyster shell to make their egg shells (some folk feed them their own shells back but I think this encourages them to eat their own eggs). If you are thinking of getting a pet get one that can pay its way in eggs! They love mashed potato, again, not too much, some hens can be greedy! If you plant spuds in the garden and have a hen or two, you'll always have egg and chips to eat without going to the shops. We dug up our front lawn 'Good Life' style a few years ago and have never looked back. Eggs & Potatoes think of all the recipes you can make with those...
  • InTheRed
    InTheRed Posts: 164 Forumite
    JackieO wrote: »
    i usually just boil and mash them as usual with milk and a wee bit of butter/marg and then use an ice-cream scoop to scoop round dollops onto a plastic plate when cold and put into the freezer.When they are frozen solid I bag them up and just stick in the freezer. When I want to cook them I just bung them in the oven or microwave to defrost with what ever I'm cooking.They taste the same as if I have just cooked them. Sometimes if I feel in the mood I will dip them in flour, beaten egg and roll in grated cheese,my grandchildren especially love 'Grannies cheesy boulders' with sausages and onion gravy for a mid-week treat.I usually make a pile of them on a big plate then surround them with sausages so it looks like a cowboy fort. I'm a softie at heart for my little lads.
    P.s. I sometimes cover the roof of the fort with beans for an original cowboy taste

Thanks JackieO, think I will give the fort a try! :T :drool:
    February Grocery Challenge 262.50/250.00 - overspend - oh no!

March GC 0/300.00

Weight loss goal - lose 14 lbs by May 18th 2016 - so far 3 lbs lost
  • marsha8
    marsha8 Posts: 57 Forumite
    I have never tried using a rotting tomato BUT whenever I eat an especially nice tomato(at home or abroad) I save some of the seeds, dry them out on kitchen towel roll, & then sow them at the appropriate time into small pots & then later into grow bags.It never fails & your plants are free.:T
  • englishmac
    englishmac Posts: 137 Forumite
    Garlic is something else that can start to grow before you manage to use it up. Boil up your excess potatoes, mash them when they are cooked, then add homemade garlic butter with your excess garlic. Freeze for lovely garlic mash on demand.
    Also works well with excess leeks. Cut leeks into small pieces and cook, covered, in olive oil with a teaspoon of dried basil, until soft. Add to potatoes after you have mashed them. Don't really need milk and butter as the olive oil acts as a softener.
    Cheap and cheerful. Preferably free. :T LBM - more a gradual rude awakening.
    DFD where the light is at the end of this very long tunnel - there, see it? Its getting brighter!! :o

DFW Nerd Club Member no. 946. Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts. :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I bought a huge sack once... got about half way down and one had gone really rotten and all these thousands of tiny flies flew out. Didn't do it again!

I know if you keep them in a cool, dark place they last longer. How long they last seems variable and I sometimes experiment with different places/covers but not found a solution yet (best so far was keeping them in a blue bag in the drawer, but I think that was a coincidence)

If they're getting a bit manky, if you peel spuds and put them in a tupperware/similar tub and fill it right to the brim with cold water then pop the lid on and bung them in the fridge, they can last a good number of days and are still as crisp as when you peeled them.

This would be handy if you needed to do something now but didn't see the point of peeling/chopping and freezing them just to unfreeze them in 2-3 days.
  • Demi_John
    Demi_John Posts: 5 Forumite
    I plant about 2 sacks of seed potatoes each year (the big hessian ones, not the little nets) and one of the things Mrs DJ does with sprouters is make potato croquettes.

The recipe is an adaptation of that on p84 of 'What's Cooking - Potatoes' by Jenny Stacey (pub. by Dempsey Parr), another car boot birthday present bargain!

Ingredients:
    450g potatoes diced
    300 ml water – the recipe calls for milk, but we prefer it this way as it produces a firmer croquette , but use milk for a more softer, creamy version.
    4 spring onions chopped – but chopped ‘ordinary’ onions are fine, and we also add some garlic
    25g butter – can’t see why vegetable fat would not work.
    75g cheddar cheese
    1 celery stick, diced – not essential in our opinion
    1 egg, beaten
    50g plain flour
    oil (for deep frying)
    salt & pepper – we don’t use salt

Coating:
    2 eggs, beaten
    125g wholemeal breadcrumbs

Method:
    Boil potatoes until liquid is absorbed and potatoes cooked, add butter, mash, stir in onions, cheese, celery, egg & flour, season & leave to cool.

Whisk eggs, put breadcrumbs in separate bowl, shape mixture and dip in egg, then in breadcrumbs.

***And at this point freeze them***

If not frozen, cook in a deep fat fryer (180-190 deg C) for 5 mins/or until golden.

If frozen, cook until golden/look ready (haven’t timed it yet!).

And...........
    the_cat wrote: »

Is it possible to sprout/grow sweet potatoes from the ones you buy in the shops in the same way described in this thread? Or would I have to get something special from the garden centre?

I love them but they are so pricey that I rarely buy any. Thanks in advance!

Search for T65, a variety that has been bred and selected for our shorter summers. I have only tried others (from supermarkets) that failed to reach maturity before the end of season.

And………………

englishmac wrote: »
    Garlic is something else that can start to grow before you manage to use it up. Boil up your excess potatoes, mash them when they are cooked, then add homemade garlic butter with your excess garlic. Freeze for lovely garlic mash on demand.

Sprouting garlic can be chopped and mixed with butter & herbs, then rolled into a long sausage shape wrapped in cling film and frozen.

Short lengths can be cut off with a sharp knife and defrosted and used as required, either for making garlic bread or use in the frying pan.

And.................
    skull wrote: »
    I have Black Rock, a hybrid) when they come in to lay (at about 20 weeks old )................ If you plant spuds in the garden and have a hen or two, you'll always have egg and chips to eat without going to the shops. ................ Eggs & Potatoes think of all the recipes you can make with those...

We've got Black Rocks and they are lovely, very friendly hens, but they prefer pasta to potato (but I love egg & chips).

And .................

Re: growing tomatoes from saved seeds, if it hasn't been posted before, and anyone wants to know the method I will post.
  • The bags of spuds I buy are the 2.5kg or the 5kg ones from Tescos.

I just keep them in the fridge and they last all month. Are my potatoes weird?

Most veg last about four times longer when kept in the bottom of a fridge. Lived in Florida for a while and if they didn't keep potatoes (and other stuff) in the fridge the cockroaches would be HUGE...! ;)
  • i am having awful trouble with my potatoes since having the new kitchen extention put on, i keep them the same way i always did emptied in to a plastic basket in the bottom drawer in the kitchen, but i think where this drawer now is it is much warmer and it's now a far better kitchen no drafts round the backs of the cupboards, i am lucky to get 5 days before i get all the shoots on them and after being away the weekend i now have a drawer full of very sprouted potatoes most are not soft but will be in a day or so so i think i have a big cooking day ahead of me tomorrow.

Any ideas how to keep them longer for me as i have no room in my fridge for them as its full of veg most the time, and no other space in the kitchen as ithas just been designed and put in and that was the veg draw i keep my pots and onions in it and there is no other draw or cupboard space
    Still Trying :o
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £400/£000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills