Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Wrongful default prevents house purchase? £8000 to £100000+ damages now available

Options
I'm keen to spread this news. It's only just been awarded here in Aberdeen. I'm unsure if England even know about it...

I was wrongly defaulted by a bank for 6 years. I was prevented from purchasing a home for my new family.

I sued the bank for the difference in house price and I'm half way there (So far I've been awarded £116 000 and I just need to win the appeal for a figure over £200 000)

If you'd like to take advantage of this new ruling your solicitor should be able to help. (Legal Aid should now be possible). At the very least you should be able to get £8000.

Hope this helps and it's in the right place!

I'm still trying to get in touch with "The Architect" (Martin)

Comments

• BettiePage
    BettiePage Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Options
    Why were you prevented from buying a house as it seems you have bought one??
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
  • Rico6.9
    Rico6.9 Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    I'm trying to buy a better home for my family. Impossible with a default on my credit file. I bought the house I'm in before I had a default. I always had the intention to move on. Opportunity was lost in 2003 because of the default. By 2006 house prices had doubled!
  • m00m00
    m00m00 Posts: 1,755 Forumite
    Options
    why was the default considered wrongful ?
    It's a health benefit ...
  • Rico6.9
    Options
    I was up to date with all payments bar the one in dispute. If the bank had bothered to check who was right, they wouldn't have given me a default.

Instead, they refused and left me with a default for 6 years (effectively 7)

I had rejected a laptop within 2 working hours. I had asked for one with a built-in modem. I was given one without.
  • ianmr65
    ianmr65 Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    Rico6.9 wrote: »
    I was up to date with all payments bar the one in dispute. If the bank had bothered to check who was right, they wouldn't have given me a default.

Instead, they refused and left me with a default for 6 years (effectively 7)

I had rejected a laptop within 2 working hours. I had asked for one with a built-in modem. I was given one without.

seems rather a lot of stress over a £20-£50 modem.
  • ianmr65
    Options
    I'm keen to spread this news. It's only just been awarded here in Aberdeen. I'm unsure if England even know about it...

Scottish case law is not relevant in the English courts.
  • ianmr65
    Options
    I sued the bank for the difference in house price and I'm half way there (So far I've been awarded £116 000 and I just need to win the appeal for a figure over £200 000)

Has the bank offered to settle out of court on a no disclousure basis ?... who brought the appeal?
    i would have thought that they would be keen not to set a precident on consequential loss, like this, and you might get quite a lot more. Esp if they think they are going to lose.
  • Rico6.9
    Options
    I have brought the appeal to ensure that this ruling IS relevant in English courts. I also stand to win a larger sum that will help buy a house similar to one that I had missed out on.

The bank has already lost. They didn't offer anything. The doors are open.

Enjoy.
  • BLOO_LOO_2
    BLOO_LOO_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    sounds like a wind up to me. If you have a default on your credit record, you can ask to have a note applied to it if it is in dispute.
  • BLOO_LOO_2
    BLOO_LOO_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I'm trying to buy a better home for my family. Impossible with a default on my credit file. I bought the house I'm in before I had a default. I always had the intention to move on. Opportunity was lost in 2003 because of the default. By 2006 house prices had doubled!

Not only that, but it seems banks didnt give a monkeys cuss about 1 strike on a credit record until the crunch started. You would merely have got a sub prime mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure