PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Splitting Property Boards?

Options
This is more for the moderators/Martin.

I wonder whether it might be better to have a separate board for issues re House Letting (short term, ASTs etc) and one for Buying/Selling for each jurisdiction.

Most of the posts relate to property in England/Wales and comments on legal issues by people like me are only relevant in our jurisdiction and are not relevant in Scotland and Northern Ireland and Eire. Wouldn't it be better to have specific boards for buying and selling in England?Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Eire?

This would also save Scottish etc readers assuming that advice applied to their situation when clearly it might not.
RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.

Comments

• SouthCoast
    SouthCoast Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    Options
    Agreed and if changes are to be made it would be appropriate to separate the renting aspect from the buying and selling process.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Could we also have a separate house price board, so those that like going on and on and on and on about it can do so without boring others, and those that want genuine advice about buying a home can get advice without having their thread taken over by those going on about price crashes!?

No one can predict the market, so we could do without every thread being dominated by people telling newbies that their property is going to loose 40% of its value etc...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • jimc_2
    jimc_2 Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    Totally agree with you Pinkshoes! Far too many threads just devolve into insults and rants by the HPCs and their deniers. People just wanting help are being subjected to unwarranted criticism and this is not good for MSEs genuinely offering advice.
  • mr.broderick
    mr.broderick Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Could we also have a separate house price board, so those that like going on and on and on and on about it can do so without boring others, and those that want genuine advice about buying a home can get advice without having their thread taken over by those going on about price crashes!?

No one can predict the market, so we could do without every thread being dominated by people telling newbies that their property is going to loose 40% of its value etc...

That was a good one for you pinkshoes.
  • jimc_2
    jimc_2 Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    And here's a very good example of a post that's out of control and has descended into personal insults and mayhem with the OP (or his subject) ridiculed. This sort of flame-storm following a request for help is surely despicable to anyone with a regard for the purpose of MSE and should be booted off the general boards onto their real subject of HPC. (I almost said 'debate' instead of 'subject', but that would dignify it way beyond the level of insults on the thread.)
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That was a good one for you pinkshoes.

(although you have to admit, all this HPC obsession has become a tad boring, especially when people come here wanting advice, and all they get is abuse. I'm all for a good debate, but some people on hear put me to sleep!)
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • tomatopuree
    Options
    I'm in agreement with Richard on this one.
    'Lose' - as in "I hate to lose" only has one 'o'.
    'Loose' - as in 'Loose change' is not the same word!
  • Richard_Webster
    Options
    Can we have an "official" comment from one of the moderators on my suggestion?
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a great deal of sympathy with your suggestion, Richard. But there are a number of posts along the lines of "selling in England, buying in Scotland" and even more along the lines of "selling up, taking the equity and renting".

Posts such as these could be on more than one Board ...... where would that leave us? :confused:
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Phirefly
    Phirefly Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Options
    jimc wrote: »
    And here's a very good example of a post that's out of control and has descended into personal insults and mayhem with the OP (or his subject) ridiculed

Oh please. While I agree there's no place for personal insults, the little upstart was ASKING for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure