PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Delia says cheating is ok.

Options
Deila Smith now says that it's fine to use ready made ingredients in cooking. Does that mean she's helped us waste our time for years? will she fronting the next Iceland advert soon?
" The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

Comments

• absfabs
    absfabs Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, she has.

She had a book called "How to cheat at cooking" published in 1971 !

I only know because I found it in a charity shop a year or so back, bought it, and to be honest, after flicking through it, I did not make much use of it. Maybe adding a tin of oxtail soup to homemade stew, I suppose it all looked a bit dated.

So she has come full circle!
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I also found her book and like the look of the fish finger pie recipe. There is nothing wrong with cheating occasionally and it still works out cheaper than a takeaway or meal out.
  • sallyrsm
    sallyrsm Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    I have a book called "Cheats Cuisine" from the Daily Mail - Delia used to have a cheats column in the Mail some years ago.. V useful if you're in a hurry but don't forget that buying ready made ingredients bumps up the cost of whatever you are cooking.
  • absfabs
    absfabs Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    It's all a question of balance.

Using tinned meat, soups, etc you start adding the E numbers and hydrogenated fats again, possibly.

But doing everything proper and from scratch - never made real custard or mayonnaise in my life - can put you off from even trying some home cooking, and even if you do, how much effort do we want to put in at the end of the working day, or precious week-end off?

I suppose at least we don't have to feel guilty about "cheating" or taking an easier route some of the time.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    absfabs wrote: »
    It's all a question of balance.

Using tinned meat, soups, etc you start adding the E numbers and hydrogenated fats again, possibly.

But doing everything proper and from scratch - never made real custard or mayonnaise in my life - can put you off from even trying some home cooking, and even if you do, how much effort do we want to put in at the end of the working day, or precious week-end off?

I suppose at least we don't have to feel guilty about "cheating" or taking an easier route some of the time.

I agree, and it's all 'horses for courses' as well. I do make custard because I find it quite easy to do and it's a bit of a treat, but I also have a tin of Bird's in the pantry.

I would never make puff or filo pastry, but I have had a go at pasta - there is still dried pasta in the pantry as a necessary staple and stand by, though.

I think that Delia is just saying, don't feel awful if you can't always keep up with your own version of 'best practice', being able to do something should give you choices, not enslave you!
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I also remember Delia's "How to cheat at cooking" book - been on my shelf for years. But so have most of her others. I've always found that, so long as you follow her recipes exactly, they always turn out successfully, and that's more than can be said of many others! I've even used her recipes for the first time when entertaining! I thing she's great, whether doing things from scratch or showing how a few shortcuts will still result in a good meal.
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had a request for Delia's baked fish fingers. I can't print the recipe for copyright reasons, but I'll list the ingredients and cooking time. It's basically a packet of fish fingers topped with tinned tomatoes, tinned mushroom, onion and grated cheese.

14 oz packet of fish fingers
    salt and pepper
    tablespoon of lemon juice
    6.5 oz can of tomatoes, drained
    Medium onion, sliced
    7.5 oz can of grilling mushrooms
    2 oz of cheddar cheese
    a little butter

Bake at gas mark 4 for 20-25 minutes.
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    Just found this link, although at the moment it keeps freezing on my laptop.
    It has various Delia cheats, but didn't see fishfinger one

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/selections/how-to-cheat,1232,RS.html
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I believe the new book is an updated version of the original.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I cook a lot from scratch but like many others I use shop bought Mayonaisse and Bird's custard most of the time. I don't like Aunt Bessie's Yorkshires as I think they taste like thin cardboard I make my Yorkies a bit thicker, I make my own stuffings at Christmas and if we have a chicken at weekend but we keep a pack of Paxo fro a midweek roast chicken dinner. It's all about balance and after a full day at work a bit of cheating isn't the wortst thing that could happen.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family