MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Rhydian and Beverley ride together?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Rhydian and Beverley ride together?

Rhydian and his new friend Beverley need to go west to London, as they've booked tickets to see Phantom Of The Opera. Upon boarding the train it becomes apparent there's nowhere to sit together in second class, and they don't want to sit apart, else they can't get the party started. The first class carriage, on the other hand is totally empty, but they've only got second class tickets. Should they raise themselves up and sit in first class?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

Should Axel pay back his mates?
Should Victoria be there for Geri and share her bonus?
threadbanner.gif

Comments

• No, they should stand in the aisle and entertain the other passengers with a rendition of 'Last train to Clarksville' by the Monkees :D
    2008 gig list... Nickelback + Staind (OMG...Staind ROCKED!!), Roger Waters, Infadels, Pendulum, The Police, K T Tunstall, Breed 77, Biffy Clyro....oh, and Motorhead :D
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If it is Saturday or Sunday and they are travelling from Wales they can pay £10 supplement to the ticket collector and travel first class - with free drinks.

First Great Western say:
    "Weekend First
    Upgrade from Standard to First Class at weekends and Bank Holidays for a small supplement. Buy in advance at ticket offices and on board high speed services."

I paid £10 from London all the way back to Abertawe, and thought it was worth every penny!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • ajbaker
    ajbaker Posts: 173 Forumite
    Given the quality and reliability of the train service in this country, I believe they should sit in first class. If you pay to travel by train you must surely have the right to a seat (and I can fully believe there is not a single seat to sit in, let alone two together) - if there are none in cattle class go sit in fancy seat cover class (that is the only different isn't it)?

Alternatively for a comfortable and relaxing journey, drive.
  • hana5
    hana5 Posts: 10
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It dpends how much getting the party started is worth cos they'll b charged an upgrade for sitting in the 1st class seats. I came across this when, due to technical probs several trains had been canx, and as a result, when a train finally arrived, there was a lack of seats (with the exception of the 1st class seats!). Being very tired, i sat myself in a 1st class seat (just to have somewhere to sit - i didnt help myself to the coffee n biscuits, lol) n was politely but firmly told that i could either upgrade or stand up.

This was not in my budget so i stood up. If Rhydian and Beverley have the money n r willing to pay then why not. It just dpends what budget they're on n how much they value the getting the party started on the train. Same as last post, if they're skint and cant afford it, i dont see why they cant get the party started in the 2nd class section anyway. There's always ways n means whatever the budget... :D
  • bmcws
    bmcws Posts: 13 Forumite
    They could very, very nicely ask someone in a pair of seats by themselves to move! Perhaps someone who's just boarded the train, who's not quite settled in... After all the single person has paid for one seat, one of them is likely going to be sitting next to the lone person, so there isn't much of a loss for the lone person.

Alternatively, they could sit next to strangers and try to make friends with them! Or disturb them so much that they change seats!

Of course, they could have a cup of tea and a biscuit in the restaurant carriage!
  • Nah. It will be pretty embarrassing when the inspector comes along!!
  • Marisan
    Marisan Posts: 96
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I think that it is ridiculous to have empty seats when people are standing.I abhor the whole concept of first and second class carriages anyway,they should all be of the same standard and price.So I think Rhydian and Beverley should sit in the first class seats,but no doubt the miserable inspector will move them :(
    .Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
  • Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
    Should Rhydian and Beverley ride together?

Rhydian and his new friend Beverley need to go west to London, as they've booked tickets to see Phantom Of The Opera. Upon boarding the train it becomes apparent there's nowhere to sit together in second class, and they don't want to sit apart, else they can't get the party started. The first class carriage, on the other hand is totally empty, but they've only got second class tickets. Should they raise themselves up and sit in first class?
    Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

Should Axel pay back his mates?
    Should Victoria be there for Geri and share her bonus?

threadbanner.gif
    In my experience the seats are now as good if not better in second class than in first so they should go for it and good luck to them
  • CCCele
    CCCele Posts: 218 Forumite
    Next time they should plan ahead. If they booked tickets to see a show, then chances are they had to book a fair bit in advance, so they should have booked seats on the train too along with cheap early bird train tickets.
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Normally when this happens you can sit on a row with the aisle in the middle and talk across the aisle.

On lots of occassions where there is a family doing it or the people are talking a lot someone will offer to move for them so they can sit together.

I've noticed that British people don't like sitting in the middle of two people talking especially on a long train journey.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure