What's your best OS moneysaving tip?

Having learned a lot from the OS board over the last few weeks I was wondering, if you had to pick one OS moneysaving tip that's been a real help to you, what would it be?

I'm on a mission to save save save so any tips are most welcome... my personal best tip has to be menu planning! I think that over the weeks that has definitely saved me a LOT of money... and made me think about making more HM goodies... :j

Come on then, what are your best tips!?

threadbanner.gif

Comments

• paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Finding out the time that your usual supermarket puts out the reduced for quick sale items, and what time of day do they reduce even the reduced prices. Has saved me a fortune in recent years. Only yesterday, my husband popped into Tesco and found a £6.60 pack of duck breast reduced to one pound! Guess what luxury we will be enjoying for Sunday lunch?!
  • miserly_mum
    miserly_mum Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    The realization that our clothes were just as clean using 1 wash tablet instead of 2.
    Might not sound like much but there were 8 of us to wash for, usually 3-4 loads per day.
    Makes quite a saving over the year
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
  • Excellent tips - its amazing how small changes like the washing powder tabs can make a big difference over time...

I love checking out the reduced items bit in our local Tesco - though I do usually do our food shopping online to avoid temptation! :D
  • morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    That you really can suggest to people to bring a plate instead of a present to a child's party .. let's hope it catches on!
    That's Numberwang!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi miniloopie,

There are some great moneysaving tips on this older thread:

Great Tips...One liners

Pink
  • morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    And I've just thought of another one ... keep a laundry bag in the bathroom to put all odd socks in; then periodically pair them up, I have just rediscovered 18 pairs!!!
    That's Numberwang!
  • AngelMom
    AngelMom Posts: 28 Forumite
    Has to be discovering Stardrops for me, I used to spend a small fortune of all manner of cleaning products! I recommend this to everyone. :A
  • Lucina_2
    Lucina_2 Posts: 48 Forumite
    To use up leftovers
    £2 Savers Club joined 24/09/07, saved so far £8.00 :T
    Change Jar Challenge start 24/09/07 £23.75 :j

October Grocery Challenge
    Week 1 £23.63
    Week 2
    Week 3
    Week 4
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    That 1/2 or less of a washer tablet works too ;) spoon of soda crystals and same of washing powder gets 95% of my mucky families clothes clean, only the quad biking stuff etc needs a little more sometimes.

Freezing everything, well just about, saved me a fortune

Rubber gloves to remove dog hair, saved me a fortune on those sticky back fluff grabbery things (see how technical I am :o)
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Dazi
    Dazi Posts: 1,354
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Stardrops
    Using code from codes n voucher board for my Mr T online shop
    finally cooking from scratch again after years of not bothering! Although I have to admit it was a bit costly getting my store cupboard up to scratch - but sad to admit I get a kick out of looking at all my different herbs and spices lol
    whoever said laughter was the best medicine has clearly never tasted wine

Stopped smoking 20:30 28/09/11 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family