PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

General Pizza tips & Quick Questions

Options
I have been using up various bits and pieces in my cupboard in a storecupboard challenge kind of a way (enforced through overspending at the begining of the month!)

One thing I used was a packet mix to make pizza dough/base. The packet originally cost me about 80p for 2 servings. You add water, mix, kneed and then let rise for 15 mins, then add the toppings and cook for at least 20 mins. It was nice, but bland, a bit soggy and nothing on a tesco already made pizza. :(

On Monday on Ready sSeady Cook (a treat to watch as normally at work at that time) one of the chefs made a quick pizza by mixing some plain flour with a dash olive oil and some water. Rolled it out really thin then cooked in a dry frying pan until it crisped up. He also used a blow torch :eek: , but i just turned it over to do the other side. :lol:

Anyway, this made an amazing pizza base, took less than 5 mins to make and cook before adding the topping and shoving in the oven for 10 mins. It was crispy yummy and cheap! I have to say I am amazed that something shown on tv actually works, and that it was a cheap option!

HAs anyone else made a similar discovery?
aless02 wrote: »
r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It was Ready Steady Cook that taught me how to chop onions easily and quickly, used to love that programme but I never have the chance to watch it anymore.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Me too moggins, I always chop my onions up ready steady cook style :D

I made up 2 pizza bases last time I had pizza and froze one with the tomato puree and cheese on (uncooked) so all I had to do was add the topping, had it last night and it was fantastic, not sure if it was because I hadn't had the hastle of having to make the dough or because it was frozen but it was yum.

I am going to make a big batch and freeze them (they don't take up much room at all because thy are thin, perfect freezer food)
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • purplepatch
    purplepatch Posts: 2,534 Forumite
    Options
    moggins wrote:
    It was Ready Steady Cook that taught me how to chop onions easily and quickly, used to love that programme but I never have the chance to watch it anymore.

Any chance of a description of the chopping method? I'm intrigued to know if it's different from my normal method taught by my Food and Nutrition teacher more years ago than I care to remember!
  • Badgergal
    Badgergal Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    So its literally just some flour, olive oil and water? Wow, sounds fab. Maybe will try tonight, but I can see myself messing it up. I often mess up stuff that involves dough!

Also intruiged about chopping method, what is it?!
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Peel the onion, chop the top bit off, chop it in 1/2 long ways, put one 1/2 on the table chopped side down. slice the onion long ways (towards the root at the bottom) but don't slice it all the way (so it just holds together at the root), turn it round and slice it the other way (across the onion) then repeat with the other 1/2, hey presto, a finely chopped onion.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • purplepatch
    purplepatch Posts: 2,534 Forumite
    Options
    Same way that Mrs Young taught me, so obviously she did something right! Also, I peel the skin back to the root, but not off completely, so that I've got something to hold it by when chopping - stops your fingers getting chopped too.
  • Bendybops19
    Bendybops19 Posts: 11,212 Forumite
    Options
    That sounds like a seriously easy way to make dough! Would it work to make dough balls? Aaaah i love the dough balls in pizza express!!
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    couldn't make dough balls out of it, as this method requires it to be as thin as possible, but you could make a base and just top with garlic butter - yummmy :)
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for this tip rmac, gonna try it I think this maybe the one you're talking about just had a look at the site if anyone else fancies a go here's the link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/flatbreadpizza_74310.shtml
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    made one today but got myself mixed up between two different recipes there's one recipe that says to add 2 teaspoons of salt to 2 cups of flour, I only made a 1 cup one for me and added a teaspoon of salt, and boy! was it salty as I use very little salt in anything these days I could really taste it, but definitely would make again handy if maybe you've run out of bread.

Thanks again r.mac, there was no mention of the water in the recipe though he probably just did that on the tele and no quantity of olive oil I was quite worried at first that I was putting too much but towards the end I switched from the oil to the water. as I don't like a soft or thick base this is ideal for me.
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport