MFi3: Mortgage-free by Christmas 2010 - diary of a MFW Martian

Options
Hi,

I'll start by pasting the post I originally wrote in the welcome thread, as a bit of an introduction.

We bought our place in May 2002, just after I'd cleared my student loans and assorted other debts that had piled up as a result of several misspent years - which whole episode left me with a loathing of borrowing in any shape or form, so I've always looked upon the mortgage as "not our money".

In January 2003 we remortgaged from the 25-year 100% mortgage we'd initially chosen for its lack of a redemption penalty to a fixed-rate product with an overpayment facility (though it was in a sense back to square one, as we borrowed back all the money we'd paid in the first few months to carry out repairs) - and proceeded to overpay by as much as we could afford. In January 2005 we remortgaged to a 9½ year term (3Yr fixed), and at the moment we're paying the maximum overpayments we can without incurring penalties. There's about £59k left on it now (initial value £107,650) - at our current rate, we're on course for paying off the mortgage in March 2011, though it may be sooner if we can remortgage to a shorter term still and their no-fee 2Yr fixed rate next January. My goal is to get the whole lot cleared on or before December 2010 - aside from the nominal £1 so we don't have to look after the deeds.

At the moment, we're making regular payments of £1,056.38, and as we're with Nationwide, we're overpaying by £500 a month, which is the maximum we're allowed to do without incurring penalties. Alas, there were one or two months where I forgot to pay the overpayment on or around the first of the month, which appears to have racked up an extra £10 (not much, but still...!) in interest over the course of this year. (This is now fixed. I now have a standing order for £500 going out to the mortgage on the first of the month.) I'm relying on online banking for these figures, which may or may not be accurate.

Recently I wrote a script to calculate how much we'd need to pay in order to be mortgage-free by Christmas 2010. This is based on Nationwide's currently published mortgage rates (I'm quite keen on Nationwide's offering as they offer a fee-free 2Yr fixed rate, and given that we're aiming to pay off the mortgage quickly, the arrangement fees can matter more than the interest payments), so I've calculated interest based on a rate of 4.95% until 31/1/2008, 6.25% from 1/2/2008 - 31/1/2010, and 7.24% thereafter. So this may change depending on what happens between now and the end of January, when our fixed term runs out. I've built a few assumptions into it based on my observations of what the numbers on my online banking service have been doing over the last few weeks, so the figure may or may not be accurate - but I don't think the margin of error is likely to be that significant.

Of course, I wrote a script to do it because I'm a geek. Anyone else is probably as well using a mortgage calculator. ;)

As a means of getting us towards this goal, we've done a couple of things.

Firstly, we set up a joint account, from which all the household bills (including food bills) are paid, and set up standing orders to pay money into that account as soon as we were paid. It's fairly straightforward to get into the mode of thinking that once money has gone into that account, the only way it gets out is if it's paid out in household bills. So in a sense, the money in our own joint account is also "not our money" - which enforces the discipline that we don't go and raid it if we've overspent on personal luxuries in one month.

A corollary to this is that we each still have our own personal accounts, which is entirely "our own" money, and as such, we are entirely responsible for it. The great thing about this is that it's a lot easier to keep track of one's own personal spending, not to mention that it avoids the kind of difficulties and disagreements that can arise when families pool absolutely everything into a joint account! Our friends thought we were mad for doing things this way. Personally, I can't think of a better way to do it. There's no way I can accidentally spend my wife's money, or vice versa, and we each know exactly how much we've spent.

Secondly, we stopped paying so much for broadband and cable TV. We quickly discovered that we didn't need super-fast broadband or a bunch of channels we hardly ever watched, so over the last five years we've gone from paying Telewest around £65 a month to paying Virgin Media about £29 a month. Given that we seldom make outgoing calls on the landline, we're considering ditching the landline too, now that we have a VoIP service with Sipgate (no monthly charges, and the account's about eight and a half quid in credit).

At the moment we're also trying to hash out some ideas to control personal spending, and see if we can afford to remortgage to a shorter term and overpay some more. The plan we have in mind will bring our total monthly payments from £1,556.38 up to around £1,688 from February; that amounts to an extra £15 a week from each of us, on average, so it's not an insignificant change. It is, however, doable, as what we might call our personal "allowances" are each in the region of £120-130 a week (which includes travel to/from work, lunch and social activities).

We're also looking at other ways we might be able to reduce the bills:

1. We're probably not the most energy-efficient household on the planet, and our gas and electric bills over the last four quarters came to a whopping £800. We can probably bring this down a fraction, by doing all the things we're told we should be doing anyway, like ensuring that the heating/hot water isn't on when it's not needed, and switching appliances off instead of leaving them on standby... :o
2. Switching energy providers may also be an option. At the time we moved in, SWEB were a better bet than British Gas, but that may not be the case with EDF nowadays. That said, we are not prepared to switch to any old provider, as we've heard some horror stories about the really cheap ones.
3. Better planning of our food budget. At the moment, there is no plan, so we just end up buying whatever we fancy at the time. Sometimes this can result in quite a shocking bill once we get to the checkout. Planning ahead (and probably ordering online, where despite the delivery charge, we might actually save money by not being tempted to buy junk!) would resolve some of this.
4. Do we really need a landline? (See above.)

The plan is to get this hashed out before the end of January, so that we're already in the habit of managing to save an extra £130 a month between us, rather than trying to shoehorn our expenses into an arbitrary box labelled 'this is how much we are allowed to spend'. Besides, if we succeed, we'll have saved a little money in advance. :)

Anyway, that's my thoughts for now... if you got this far, thank you for remaining awake!

Comments

• David_B_2
    David_B_2 Posts: 718 Forumite
    Options
    What a christmas present that will be :beer:

We was due to be free by Dec 08 but that's now slipped due to [strike]needing[/strike] wanting a new car. We don't do credit and belive in saving before we buy so we used some of our final lump sum we had saved.

I guess we could have waited but I also belive in treating myself and the wife because we have done really well this year.

I wish you well and look forward to another happy ending when you beat the banks.
    Regards,
    Dave

If only I had a pound for every time I used the thanks button :D
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi MR Martian,

GOOD LUCK:T

Me & Mr SMF have separate bank a/cs too. Saves arguments. Also we look after separate things - me, I look after the dribs & drabs - Food, kids, clothes, bills, etc. Mr SMF looks after big stuff - hols, xmas, etc. Anyway, it works for us and we don't think it's odd:D

We keep our car going...it's an x reg scenic...someday it will need replaced but it's still in good condition as we have always had it serviced properly. Apparently, it's the greenest thing to do too. Funny how money saving & being green are often the same thing ! It would be nice to have a really swanky car though:cool: (that's me being swanky) ahh well we can dream....

Anyway, good luck with your quest...

Mrs SMF
  • Trying_to_be_good
    Options
    Marvin

Great detailed account - your plan is much like mine, though I'll still have the interest-only bit to pay come 2011.

Two things spring to mind - firstly, are you saving in cash ISAa? This would double the amount you could call overpayments each month - £500 to Nationwide for the mortgage and £250 each to an ISA, which (if you're like me) you could 'mentally' assign to the mortgage. In fact, this year you have six months' ISA savings to catch up on!

Secondly, beware of getting rid of your landline - it contributes to your credit rating and some credit is only available if you have one. DOn't ask me why, but I understand it's the case, and hence I keep a landline going.

Good luck! My mortgage is all mine, so I don't need to worry about joint accounts...
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep, as Trying to be Good says, I love the detail in what people write.

Like you, I'm on a Nationwide mortgage, and tho I'm still in debt in other areas (which I've put in my sig), when I've snowballed its actually most efficient to money off the mortgage, which is my highest rate debt, tho it helps my cashflow least.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for your comments and support everyone!

David B, I know what you mean - one of the rather large potential expenditures lurking on the horizon is that we want to make a number of improvements to the house. At the moment my thinking is that I'd like to embark on that particular project after we've paid off the mortgage. (And - so I'm told - leaving a nominal balance outstanding of £1 in the mortgage might come in handy, if we end up needing to borrow again in order to pay for improvements.)

setmefree2, I'm completely with you on the thing about saving arguments! We've not once had an argument about household finances. Long may this trend continue.

Trying to be good,
    Two things spring to mind - firstly, are you saving in cash ISAa? This would double the amount you could call overpayments each month - £500 to Nationwide for the mortgage and £250 each to an ISA, which (if you're like me) you could 'mentally' assign to the mortgage. In fact, this year you have six months' ISA savings to catch up on!

When we originally took out the Nationwide mortgage in '03, the payments were around £605 a month; the remortgage in '05 added around £450 to that (before overpayments), so it's had much the same effect.

So as things stand, our only real option at the moment would be taking out a cash ISA instead of overpaying. Doing both would be rather tricky for us, I think, unless we were to opt for a rather radical change in lifestyle!

Had we twigged earlier what the increase in interest rates had meant in respect of the value of overpayments on our fixed rate mortgage versus taking out a cash ISA, we'd have taken out the ISA before now - sadly, we weren't on the ball so that didn't happen. With only four months to go on our fixed period, it hardly seems worth it now.

And it's looking like it won't be an option we'd find useful when we come to remortgage; a quick check on Nationwide's site, for instance, shows that their 2Yr no-fee fixed rate is at 6.25% 6.48% (damn them, there go my calculations!), whereas their cash ISA is at 6.15%. We'd be better off paying that extra money into the mortgage, and even then the difference over a year is in single-digits of pounds Sterling. But it all depends on what happens between now and the end of January. :)

Actually, looking at those rates, we might be better off with the 2Yr no-fee tracker... hmm. Anyone prepared to hazard any guesses regarding the trend of interest rates over the next two and a half years? :confused:
    Secondly, beware of getting rid of your landline - it contributes to your credit rating and some credit is only available if you have one. DOn't ask me why, but I understand it's the case, and hence I keep a landline going.
    We have a SIP phone* with Sipgate (none of this Skype nonsense!) so we'd still have a geographical telephone number - and we'd also still have a monthly payment to VM showing up on our credit file. So would our credit rating be affected under those circumstances?

* Actually, it's just a normal BT phone that's connected to a little black box that plugs into our router, and we make calls on it the same way we'd do with a regular phone, though we have to use the dialling code even if it's a local number, and there are special dialling codes for calling other SIP phones. Ain't technology brilliant?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ooh, I've just spotted something else that ought to have been blindingly obvious...

Our mortgage payments currently go out on the 28th of the month. Given that interest is charged on a daily basis, presumably if we were able to bring those forward to the first of the month, we'd be able to save a few pounds a month in interest... fingers crossed that I get enough of a bonus to make two mortgage payments with my December salary, then!
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi again,

There are always other things I'd like to spend my money on too:rolleyes:. An extension would be nice but would cost about £50k and I live in London and it would be about 2 feet by 2 feet:p. A swanky car would also be lovely....in the mean time however it's pay-off-the-mortgage and enjoy the free things in life...:money:
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Check out Martins mortgage guide. He advises to stick with a no ties discounted tracker at the moment because if the rates drop you can jump ship and get a fixed rate at a lower level. I can't remeber what he said to do if the rates go sky high.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks Kaz - though my concern about that is that unless Nationwide offers such a deal, I'd be looking at paying Nationwide an exit fee and potentially an arrangement fee to my new lender - and given the timescale in question and the amount left on the mortgage, I could easily lose more than I could hope to gain by making such a move!
  • esthomizzy
    esthomizzy Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck Marvin :)
    MFi3 member 105 - MFW date Oct 2023 - 12 years 9 months more
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts