PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Using up Weetabix

Options
I have 2 boxes of Weetabix that the children insisted I buy because they were going to eat it. Needless to say they haven’t so, I was wondering what to do with it. I don’t particularly like it myself.

I’ve found a recipe for Weetabix cake on the forum and was wondering if anyone has made this in a breadmaker. I don’t have an oven and don’t want to use the microwave as an oven for that length of time.

Next up after the Weetabix will be the fruit & fibre and bran – they had decided to go on a health kick! I know I really should eat it but the only breakfast cereal I like is my HM muesli.

I do hope someone has some ideas – the mice haven’t found the cereals yet but it will only be a matter of time despite having 4 cats. I think they bring the mice in to search for later when they are bored.
2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons

Comments

• GreenNinja
    Options
    Hi,

have seen somewhere a recipe on here for chocolate brownies made with weetabix, am sure somebody will be along shortly who can provide you with the link! :rolleyes:
  • tweetyshells
    Options
    Weetabix Brownies

In a bowl put
    4 crushed weetabix
    4oz caster sugar
    4oz self raising flour
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    pkt chocolate drops (i use a 25p 100g tescos own milk chocolate chopped up)
    mix this altogether
    then take 4oz of melted marg and stir this into the mixture along with an egg
    mix well and put in a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes at electric 180.
    I put this mix into a square tin which measures 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches. I suppose you could use anything a similar size it would just turn out a bit more or less deeper. I also line the tray with greaseproof paper to save any sticking. Once out the oven let it stand for about 5 minutes then turn out the tray and cut into squares.
    Enjoy!!! if you get chance before everyone else takes them.

This is what someone else posted on here btw.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi dND,

Here's the original thread for the weetabix brownies. There's also a recipe for a weetabix cake on this thread:

Delicious WEETABIX cake!

Pink
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    My Mum used to make rice crispy cakes with bran flakes and raisins instead of rice crispies.... although now I think about it was a very sneaky way to get me to eat bran... hmmmm. Might be worth a shot though as you wouldn't need an oven for that one. cel x
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • trying-very-trying
    Options
    I can second celyn's tip. I do that as well, but I add sultanas, so they're not quite so dry, I suppose it would also add more fibre. Just make sure your stocked up on bogroll before making too many of these:rotfl:.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • dND
    dND Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks to all. I've skipped through the Weetabix thread but couldn't find anything specific for using the breadmaker so decided to experimentbiggrin.gif

It should be ready by the time I've pegged the washing out so will let you know how it did.
  • dND
    dND Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yumaction-smiley-033.gif

I managed to let it cool for all of 10 mins before tasting (3 slicesspeechless-smiley-040.gif, well I had to be sure). It's delicious. As the recipes for cakes in my breadmaker were for the 1.5lb loaf setting I upped the quantities by 50% and think I may use double quantities and the next setting up for the next one. Well I do have 60 weetabix's leftlaughing-smiley-014.gif

Thanks again to all.
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    i do a kind of malt loaf with mine its yummy,will have to fish out the recipe
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • Hardup_Hester
    Options
    I use weetabix in any recipe that calls for breadcrumbs, I make a lentil roast & treacle tart & put weetabix in both, instead of breadcrumbs.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure