PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Favourite recipe books

Options
I did do a search but couldn't find a similar thread, apologies if this has already been done

What are your favourite recipe books? Which ones do you use all the time and would recommend? I've got a moderate collection and love them, but I could easily buy the whole shelf at Waterstones (well, I could easily go to Waterstones, write down what I want and then find them cheaper online lol:rotfl: ) so I'd love to hear from the MSE OS'ers which books people rate. I do use online recipes a lot, but I love having real-life books, I'm a bit of a book fiend. I recently bought a wooden book stand for my new kitchen (only £5 in tescos!) and get a bizarre pleasure from standing the book up in the stand as I prepare to 'create!'

My absolute can't-live-withouts:

Delia's Vegetarian Collection, as it has a lot of my favourite recipes in it. I use Delia's website a lot too.

River Cottage Meat Book - I love Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall in general (can't wait for his Fish book out this autumn) he writes about a way of life/eating not just recipes. This book really opened my eyes and introduced me to meat eating. I call it my meat bible!

How to be Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson - although I always baked with my mum at home, this book taught me how to bake by myself, and I love it to pieces and use the recipes in there all the time.

Others that I like:

Jamie Oliver - I have about 3 of his (all presents) - I use it mostly for meat/fish recipes, the pasta making sections are really inspiring but I've never worked up the courage to try without a pasta machine!

Crank's Bible and Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book- both have lots of excellent recipes for vegetables/vegetarian meals when I need some inspiration.

I'd love some more resources for fish (especially) and meat ideas, ideas for bread (although my manager at work has given me stacks of allinson bread recipes to work through!), and more dessert inspiration too. I'd love some specific cake/biscuit/muffin/cookie/chocolate recipe books too, but it feels a little indulgent to spend on a book just for that!

So what are your faves?

Comments

• lamplady
    lamplady Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    I am loving all the Bill Granger books at the moment. He's Australian, and the food is very fresh and varied, and the recipes are very reliable. His breakfast and baking ideas are delicious.

My basic cookbook is my old 1970s Dairy Cookbook...an absolute classic.

For baking
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brownies-Bars-More-Inspiring-Recipes/dp/1840914157/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/202-8082000-5022223?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186945282&sr=8-1

has not let me down.

However, I chop and change. Cookbooks are my weakness and I have over 1000!
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Options
    I am very much a fan of Margurite Patten. I have loads of her books.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • EmmaJ_3
    EmmaJ_3 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    lamplady wrote: »
    Cookbooks are my weakness and I have over 1000!

Wow, I have something to aspire to!!!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Emma,

This thread should help: The Complete Old Style Book Collection.

Pink
  • EmmaJ_3
    EmmaJ_3 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    See I knew there'd be something!!

Well if people still want to chinwag feel free :) I'd love to hear which books people really really recommend.
  • lamplady
    lamplady Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Hapless wrote: »
    I am very much a fan of Margurite Patten. I have loads of her books.

ooh you might be able to help me. I just got a 2nd hand copy of MP's Cookery in Colour, but the pictures aren't as I remember them from my youth....some of the colour ones from my childhood edition were black and white in this one and vice versa, and there was no picture of the mouthwatering charlotte russe I used to dream about:rotfl:

Are there a multitude of different versions of this book? The one I want has a colour picture of oranges filled with jelly to make sailing boats.

I know I'm sad:T
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't counted all mine (think it's about 132, so a long way to go, lamplady).

My favourite for the number of recipes I have used over and over again (not just once or twice) is Everyday Vegetarian and Food Reform Cooking by Clare Bryant published in paperback in 1974.

Another favourite, simply on the grounds that it was the first cookery book I ever bought (I can remember doing so when I was a teenager) is Good Egg Dishes by Ambrose Heath, a hardback published in 1952 (I bought it later than that though). It introduced me to the idea of sweet omelettes.
  • laughing_cow
    Options
    lamplady wrote: »
    I am loving all the Bill Granger books at the moment. He's Australian, and the food is very fresh and varied, and the recipes are very reliable. His breakfast and baking ideas are delicious.

I have been lucky enough to have breakfast at one of his restaurants in Sydney - highly recommended!

I'm veggie so use the Cranks New Recipe Book and Cranks Fast Food a lot of the time which have lots of good, modern recipes. I've got another book called 'Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone' by Deborah Madison which is almost an encyclopaedia with 1400 recipes, many suitable for vegans too. It's American so you have to get used to cup measurements, 'eggplant/zucchini' and cooking term such as broiling. I think it's an excellent book, with lots of useful info about ingredients, all the basics too - making stock, sauces, dressings, smoothies, breads, boiling eggs etc etc. Only downside is not many pictures. It's available on Amazon.
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    Delia - esp Winter Collection

Jamie - have books 1 + 2

Nigel Slater: Real Food

The Passionate Vegetarian - Crescent Dragonwagon (yes really!) Fab Southern American influenced veggie food 1000+ pages £10ish on Amazon, if you google you can get recipe samples on her site

M + S Kitchen Library - have a few of these, esp like One Pot and Cafe CLassics

Also have loads of slimming club books.....
  • krispyg76
    krispyg76 Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    Delia is fantastic as it not just covers what to make but how to do it in an easy way.

Jamie I like as he makes wholesome British food, very good for stuff in winter that is warm and filling

But I love hunting down stuff online, Sue's Recipe Site, Food Down Under, BBC Food, Good Food magazine all have good online sites.

Tonight I did sausage and mash, bought some low fat sausages from tesco, maris piper potatoes, boiled them and mashed them with some milk and dijon mustard. Carrots were parboiled then put in an oven dish with butter and thyme, then added in some brown sugar to caramalize them slightly. Sausages were cooked in the oven with 2 shallots, 4 garlic cloves, water, beef stock cube, sage, salt, pepper and worcester sauce. Then when they were done we took the sausages out, then the shallots, drained the stock and put it back in the dish on a hob and made gravy adding 1 spoonful of gravy and a splash of red wine (tesco, £2.84 Bulgarian stuff)

Served it with 2 ripped chunks of crusty bread

Oh my god, food to die for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family