PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken curry?

Options
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone has a recipe for either Chicken Tikka Massala or Chicken Biryani (preferably not too spicy as DS won't eat anything too hot lol)?

I really fancy a curry tonight - not had one for ages but can't afford to get a takeout :rolleyes:

Any recipes gratefully recieved!

Thanks,
Sarah xx

Comments

• *niptuckfan*
    *niptuckfan* Posts: 638 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Sarah

I find that the Pataks curry pastes are really good value for money compared to other shop bought jars and very tasty you only need around a quarter of the jar and then add a tin of chopped tomatoes

HTH :D
    How people treat you is their Karma: how you react is yours

• superstylin
    superstylin Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pataks pastes are great. i fry off a whole chopped onion and 2 crushed cloves of garlic. add two tbsps of pataks balti paste then a tin of chopped toms. cook sauce for a little bit then add chicken (i normally use left over chicken from a roast) i also add spinach to bulk it up. you can eat it that way or add greek yogurt to make it into a creamy sauce...i have to say it's the best tasting curry i've come across (not being big headed, i took the recipe from somewhere else, just can't remember where now!)
    "a workman, even of the lowest and poorest order, if he is frugal and industrious, may enjoy a greater share of the necessaries and conveniences of life than it is possible for any savage to acquire."
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    this is a nice nice one

Diced Chicken
    Pataks Tikka Paste
    Large Tin Chopped Toms
    Can Coconut Milk
    Onions
    Carrots
    Potatoes (chopped small)

Basically whatever you fancy thrown into a large casserole dish and cooked slowly on Gas Mark 4 for a couple of hours. This also works well in a slow cooker. It does make a lot but its fabulous for freezing as well.
    x
  • allIcouldwishfor
    Options
    Another vote for Pataks tikka masala paste. It's great stuff, I've been using it for years!! A good dish for using up whichever veg are languishing in the bottom of the fridge, although I normally parboil anything hard like carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans or butternut squash, but mushrooms or aubergine you can just chuck straight in.
    I like cooking with wine......sometimes I even put it in the food!
  • Moneybubbles
    Moneybubbles Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    This is what I'm currently cooking for tea tonight so a vote for the Pataks! Dh has been away so this is his treat lol

my children 2,5 like the mild one korma I think!
    it costs nothing to smile:D
  • Tracey04
    Tracey04 Posts: 389 Forumite
    Options
    you all like pataks - if you only use say a 1/4 of jar, how do you keep the rest of it and for how long. Is it expensive to buy? Thanks
  • wakeman
    wakeman Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    When I've used part of a jar I tip a small amount of oil in so that all the paste is covered. I keep it for ages - if it hasn't got white fluffy stuff in then it's OK! I always make sure I spoon the paste out with a clean spoon to stop it going mouldy quickly!

I find the Madras paste is lovely - fry onion and chicken, stir in a couple of spoons of Madras paste, tin of chopped tomatoes, most of a tin of coconut milk, coriander at the end. Mmmmmm.
  • SoggyMoggy
    SoggyMoggy Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've made chicken curry for years from a recipe I got at school:

chopped cooked chicken
    1 onion
    butter/oil
    mushrooms if you like them
    an apple
    1 tbsp flour
    milk
    1 tbsp curry powder
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    salt/pepper
    1 tbsp pickle

Peel, core and chop the apple and fry with the onion and mushrooms (if you're using them) in the oil or butter, stir in the flour, salt, pepper, 1 tbsp curry powder, half a tsp each of ginger and cinnamon, add milk to make sauce, stir in chicken and pickle. Scoff.

Sorry, not very scientific method, haven't looked at the recipe for years, just go by "feel" now!

You can make it as hot or mild as you like, just use hot or mild curry powder (you can buy Korma, or just a mild one), and put in whatever you like really, I sometimes add coconut milk which makes it very rich but also (unfortunately) very fattening.
  • johanne
    johanne Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    for REALLY cheap curry sainsburys basics "curry sauce" is 9p at the moment for a 500g jar (i think)

To me it tastes just like a korma... But guess you could add extra onion, spices, tomato etc????
  • *niptuckfan*
    Options
    Just thinkin of this post and pataks and googled it they have a webiste with loads of info and recipes will bookmark to read later!:o

http://www.pataks.co.uk
    How people treat you is their Karma: how you react is yours

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family