The Great 'Cheap Ways To Get In Shape For Summer' Hunt

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
Summer's nearly here – despite the horrendous weather outside. It’s that time of year when people start thinking about shedding that spare tyre and squeezing into unforgiving trunks/bikinis. So I thought I'd tap MoneySavers’ collective knowledge to find cheap ways to get fit for summer

To share your ideas click reply.

Tell me:
  • what you do
  • how cheap/much you save
  • how long does it take to feel/see the benefit
I'll start you off - MSE Antelo's noticed a free three day gym pass to any Fitness First gym on production of a can of Adidas deodrant (which is currently 99p in Savers) in the Metro, a free weekday newspaper available at London train and underground stations, every Monday for the last three weeks. As long as he's disciplined, and uses all three days, that's at least a week's worth for the average gym membership user, meaning a saving of around £15.

threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You can also get a free 3 day pass to carrefour gyms if you go to their website www.carrefour.uk.com
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
    • what you do
    Run/Cycle
    Costs £0
    Immediate benefit

Why anyone would pay to keep themselves in fitness I do not know.:rotfl:
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    • what you do
    Run/Cycle
    Costs £0
    Immediate benefit

Why anyone would pay to keep themselves in fitness I do not know.:rotfl:
    I don't know yet as i've just joined, but thought the 3 day free pass would be good for anyone who wanted to try a gym out:T
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    I do my davina dvd 3 times a week costs around £10! plus quidco!

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

• Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My car insurance is up for renewal, the provider I'm with wants £750! I'm seriously thinking of not renewing it and spending a few hundred quid on a good bike.

On top of the insurance, I'd save on petrol, road tax, parking, maintenance. At least a grand if I can hold out for a year.
  • imtight
    imtight Posts: 17 Forumite
    :confused: Joined weight watchers last week. Look up the site and print out the coupon for free joining fee. supposedly saves you £9 or £7.50 pensioners. Mind you when I got there I found out that there is always an offer on. weekly fees are £4.50 or £4.25 for over 60's. you are charged 20p for a cardboard cup of nasty coffee which you have to make yourself. I asked if I could stay for the first evening without joining to see if I thought it was suitable for me, but was told no I had to join on arrival. They give you lots of booklets and a chart to record your weekly food intake. Seems a lot to pay for being weighed each week, not much else happens in the hour that you are there, a lot of it is taken up waiting for each member to be weighed, a raffle and talk of other money making ideas. If you need to ask any advice you do it while you are being weighed or telephone. You could photocopy the food chart and then weigh yourself each week, but the terms and conditions I signed, I was not allowed to take a copy home with me they say they keep that. Apparently you are allowed two weeks 'holiday' in other words, if you don't turn up without booking it as holiday, you are liable for the £4.50. I would like to look again at the terms and conditions I signed. The lady who was running it was very vague when I asked how long I had signed up for, only saying that she would telephone me if I didn't turn up one week without being on 'holiday', and would be liable for the £4.25. Not very satisfactory in my opinion.
  • jjjggg
    jjjggg Posts: 1 Newbie
    Be brave, find and join a friendly running that has a programme to help people develop. We joined the Stragglers club in Kingston upon Thames (£5 per annum) and by going along regularly helped us get much fitter and stronger. We started off with walking and slowly progressed from there. They have groups for all abilities and don't leave anyone behind. The positive encouragement from the people who go along is fantastic. http://www.stragglers.org/littlefeet.htm

Buy a decent pair of trainers, not from high street joke shops like JJB/ JD/ Sportsworld etc., but from a proper running shop such as up and running or sweatshop who have properly trained staff to help you select the right shoes for you. With your running club membership card you would probably get 10-15% off of the price of your shoes i.e. £6-12 which more than covers the cost of your membership.

Read and follow the free beginner's tips and schedules from Runnersworld. Follow them religiously and don't go mad and you will surprise yourself with your progress. Just focus on getting out and enjoying the next session- don't look too far ahead and ignore the weather. Running with others can help with motivation. http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=1461

If you go running at night make sure you wear bright clothes.

Take 5 minutes a day and try and do as many sit ups as you can in that time. keep your feet on the floor and your knees well bent. keep a record and try to improve your number each day, but don't kill yourself. Stop whenever you need to. Your waistline will shrink, your posture will improve and your back will get stronger.

Cost around £8 or £9 per month.
  • lcparkinson
    lcparkinson Posts: 22 Forumite
    Go hiking.

Either go it alone on one of the many, many well marked and signposted trails and paths looked after by people such as the National Trust and local councils, or buy a book or map and go cross country if you've got the navigational skills and proper equipment. Most popular walking car parks now have lots of information boards, and tourist info centres with free or very cheap leaflets with maps and walking routes.

There's a path for everyone - from a couple of miles nice flat wander through some woods to the really hard core routes which take several days and require you to carry all your kit for camping wild as well. Hiking is also very child friendly - and they'll sleep all the way home in the car most likely!

Walking magazines often have routes and maps in them, charity shops usually have one or two local maps for sale for under a quid. Local ramblers groups are also plentiful if you'd like a guide or to go with some more experienced folk. You don't have to pay to join the Ramblers Assoc on your first couple of trips out.

You don't need much equipment for the easier stuff. Waterproof jacket is always handy, some lunch, plenty of water, a few warm layers of clothing and emergency rations like chocolate in case you get stuck anywhere is about all. You will of course need to be properly equipped with a compass, map, survival blanket/bivvy bag and small first aid kit for more serious hiking.

It's a great feeling of achievement to get to the top of the mountain and survey the view - and I promise you, you'll discover bits of your lungs you didn't think you had on the way up. Enjoy your lunch and the view and then potter down to a nice cream tea/pint in the pub.

It's a fantastic way to keep fit, get fresh air, meet people, and see the beautiful country we live in.
  • Now, I don't have kids, but I know lots of people do, and I've also noticed the sudden appearance of these massive trampoline things in the gardens of most people who have kids.

Having been on one (yes I had to have a go!) :j I noticed that after about one minute of bouncing I was absolutely cream crackered! It really wears you out and therefore must be great exercise, so I recommend all adults whose kids have these just to get on them for about 5 mins a day and you'll have a great workout for no extra money (so long as you make sure it can support your weight first :eek: lol!), you don't even have to leave the house and you'll have absolutely loads of fun too. In fact, when we move to our new house I'm gonna get myself one!! (anyone know where I can get one cheap??)
    Trust me - I'm a scientist!!! :idea:

Mortgage - too big to comprehend!

CC debt - none! :beer:
  • Hime
    Hime Posts: 75 Forumite
    Get together with a friend or friends, once a week at least and power walk around your local park or area. Great chance to exercise and keep in touch with people. You could start your own group and help each other not to loose motivation. Wear bright clothing if you walk at night.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure