Any Ideas for a supercheap black and white "retro" wedding?

Options
Hi,
We are getting married next summer and so far have come up with a black and white (with dark red accents) retro theme (maybe 1950's post war). (It's going to be in an old fashioned Village hall and I quite want to serve sausage and mash and bread and butter pudding type event). The whole wedding thing in that time was all about the marriage and staying together which is something nice to work on and our venue and the whole cheap and cheerful nature of it means the theme fits quite well.

There is a lot of cross over between 1950's, 1930's and Hollywood glamour themes so I am trying not to get them all muddled up else it may look a mess.

So far some ideas I have:
Asking guests to bring "potluck" instead of a gift reduces catering costs and fits in with the cheap post war theme. Struggling to come up with a post war buffet menu thing though- not too keen on tripe! (we are having 100-150 guests- probably cater for 100 then further 50 to evening do)

Black and white balloons inflated at each table (undecided about this one as balloons sometimes look naff but then I saw a pic where it looked amazing)

Black and white photo montage of me and OH as we grew up (hopefully with matching photos- eg. riding first bike etc.- these may be on both a powerpoint type thing as well as the table settings.

Black and white dancefloor- they may be stupidly expensive to hire so my other idea is to buy a large piece of the black and white lino and tape it down! Then keep it to use in our bathrooom or something! :) Maybe some white and black drapes or even bunting (although that may look a bit race tracky!)

My dress is black and white (£60 from ebay originally cost £1800!) so I think I may carry 3 white lillies or something.

Bridesmaids will be in black and white- maybe 50's style dresses if we can find some.

Invites may be a black and white baby photo of me and other half with old fashioned lettering.

Any other ideas? I don't want it to cross over into Americana (Juke boxes and red leather seats) or Hollywood glamour (directors chairs and pouting) too much but I do want to steal the best of their ideas that would work well with my theme.

I think I will have old fashioned sweets in bowls on the tables- fruit salads, blackjacks, cola cubes etc.

Favours are being made by a friend- they are seed packets of honesty which I will get black and white envelopes and make a poem for.

I was thinking place settings could be a black stone with the guests name written on but then maybe that is too "earthy" so my other idea is I have some deep red price tags on red string (sounds awful but they look nice) and simply writing the guests name on them and attaching it to the wine glass (will help them find their glass too!).

I also love ostrich feathers and butterflies so was thinking decorating the tables with black and white ones but then feathers maybe are "too hollywood" I don't want to "overtheme" my wedding and just have too much.

I wasn't going to bother with a car but then my other half is obsessed with VW camper vans and his stepdad has one he might be willing to drive for us- its a bit more 60's but it could be a lot of fun- or we could get a vintage black 1950's one and just hire it.

Not sure if we can afford a swing band but brother is dj-ing and I am going to get him to play some peggy lee and the like.

Can anyone help me with any other ideas? Cheapness is the key. My budget is £3k I can go over it if I wanted however I abhor the expense of weddings and the whole wedding machine so I really want to keep it cheap and cheerful.

Cheers
Miss C.

Comments

• Miss_Communicate
    Options
    Ooops I didnt realise how long my post was! Sorry!
    Thankyou for getting to the end.
    *grin*
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    I remember going to weddings in late 50's early 60's and the reception was usually salad with ham and tongue, bread rolls and then trifles in square, frilled waxed paper dishes. This was all made by the family. The cake was also made by family or friend of. Receptions were at village halls or own houses.

I think your ideas are FAB, it will be talked about for years. CD's of 50's music for dancing will get everyone up, and anyone can change them, or play the hundreds you can get on one of the new devices through speakers.

I've never seen the point in spending thousands and thousands of pounds on a wedding that really ends up being like all the rest! Go for it.:T
  • beautifulgorgeous_2
    Options
    The giant chess sets in homebargains could perhaps be combined to make a dance floor. I don`t know how much they are.
  • GreenNinja
    GreenNinja Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, have just read your post and the whole idea is just AMAZING!! You have obviously spent oodles of time thinking about every aspect I think your venue will look just stunning and gorgeous! Hope you are going to post pics afterwards!!
  • Miss_Communicate
    Options
    Aww thanks guys. The really sad thing is I have only been engaged for about 2 weeks! (erm but we had been talking about it for a while and have spent a while googling things!)

My dress unfortunately isn't very 1950's style but I love it.http://www.ribbonsandpearls.co.uk/catalogue/wedding_dresses/rap351_400/rap00391.htm and will get the bridesmaids in 50's style dresses.

Oooh I am getting sooooo excited about it now. :)

I even wrote this daft poem to go on the website about bringing a dish instead of a gift (but we may have to go off that idea as a lot of our guests will be travelling miles so can't bring food as well. :( )

Because at first we lived in sin
    We've got the sheets and a rubbish bin
    We really don't need any more stuff
    honestly we've more than enough,
    So instead we had an unusual idea
    which may prove your gift panacea

We would like to give 'potluck' a go:
    Bring a dish- and tie it in a bow!
    Food brought for the wedding meal
    fits in with our aspiring eco-ideal.
    This would be a lovely wedding gift
    leaving us far from miffed,
    but so as to prevent overlap
    when plotting out the food map
    please call us with your suggestion,
    (fingers crossed no-one gets indigestion!)
    In case alcohol was what you decided
    lets be clear, wine will be provided!

Now if cookery isn't your strong point
    No noses will be out of joint,
    We still have plenty of food for our bash
    we hope you like sausage and mash!

We also have the traditional list or two
    but not so that we can simply acrue
    one is at oxfam for a goat or condom kit
    code_________________ to do your bit
    One last place to look is the John Lewis List
    #______________ for tradition if you insist.

We look forward to seeing you at our event
    and remember your presence is more important than your present!
  • Destined_to_be_skint
    Options
    Congrats Miss Communicate! You sound like me!!! Where abouts are you based as I am planning on having bangers and mash too (the MSE dinner of choice!) and if you find a good caterer then I would be interested!

Lovely dress BTW - I spotted it on that website too!
  • Miss_Communicate
    Options
    Hurrah! I am based in London but getting married in Somerset.

Apparently bangers and mash is not looked on favourably by caterers. My argument is if it costs £5.95 in a pub then I don't want to pay much more than that per head- haven't investigated it properly though yet. I did try and contact catering colleges in Somerset to see if they would be interested in a project but no-one has got back to me and with it being August I imagine they will all be on holidays. My other plan is to try pub caterers or something and see if they could do it.

Or I want an old fashioned fish and chip van- trouble is they don't tend to have websites so I am struggling to find one!
    I refuse to pay more than £10 per head for food (100-120 guests)- but most caterers will only do you crappy canapes for that. :(
    I don't want my guests to remember my wedding as the one with the !!!! food but I also don't want to spend stupid money on fancy food when I am quite happy with fish and chips/ sausage and mash.
  • Destined_to_be_skint
    Options
    My thoughts exactly! The caterers I've approached with a £10 per head budget have said they can't do anything for that price. With 150 guests you would think they could make some economies of scale. I know they have to make their money too but eating out in this country is such a rip off when you compare it with the rest of Europe.
  • Honolulu_Baby
    Options
    Congratulations, sounds fab, and your dress is GORGEOUS...

Re catering, my friend asked the local fish and chip shop and they were happy to cater for the wedding party, and did a really reasonable rate and delivered, perhaps that's an option?

On the B&W 50's theme, how about a buying 50's newspaper perhaps of the date of your wedding but 50 years ago exactly (I think they're about £30 from those gift websites) and then photocopying lots of pages and using them for your fish and chip wrappings? A nice talking point... Or you could take certain articles, and photocopy them or laminate them for place mats/name cards/inserts in the invitations... whatever you fancy really?

Another idea, perhaps you could use old vinyl records picked up from junk or charity shops and re-do the labels with table names/guest names/menus etc. Or if you find genuine 50's labels you might want to keep them and have a "Buddy Holly" table or whatever. Or I know you can mold them into shapes, perhaps the bowls for your retro sweets. (make sure you choose rubbish records though if you're going to melt them!)

One more thing do you or any of your friends have a projector? Perhaps you could put some old black and white British movies on a wall? Or old cine film movies of you & family? Or B & W stills scrolling through if you don't have films?

Good luck.
  • Destined_to_be_skint
    Options
    Re:records - someone used them as a place mat at a wedding - looked really fab. Check out https://www.offbeatbride.com - it's an american site but this particular wedding happened in the UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure